Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Well don't rub salt in my wounds man !! I was really jealous that you guys got to meet up and have so much fun !!
I think by now you would have accumulated 99 points if not more :p
MONSTER! MONSTER! MONSTER! MONSTER, where were you last Friday ;) I was ready for my 9 points!

I'm not that good on RPB compared to members like David Song, PingPongHolic etc. but I'll check it out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Der_echte ... are you spending thanksgiving on the east coast or planning to cause trouble in the west coast ?
For the record, Carl and ttMonster are similar enough level vs the same crowd of players if they play enough.

ttmonster and Der_Echte woulda cleaned up any doubles matches at that tourney, we both up our level in doubles.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Hi everyone,

I haven't been playing tt as regularly as I would like to due to shift work. My last time playing tt was 2 weeks ago, but I have the opportunity to play tonight, and I recorded my games.

I played 3 singles in total.

The first singles, I won the first 3 sets, the first set was quite close, then gradually I managed to pull off a gap, but up to the last set (4th), I somehow managed to get to a 10-0 lead. I have never had this happen to me for long time where I have a 10-0 lead. It was my opponent to serve, I was going to give a mercy point, but he served and the ball hit the edge of the table. It ended up as 11-0 and I felt terrible, but it is what it is. He didn't give up the point, but just served normally, perhaps he was too tired.

The second singles, again, I won the first 3 sets, but it wasn't easy. Then something surprising happened. I somehow played every point well, and got to 10-0 again. It was my opponent's turn to serve. This time I managed to give a mercy point. The following point, I ripped a backhand and finished the match.

I was quite surprised about getting to 10-0, especially when these people are my friends whom I have been playing with for years, and this has never happened before, and it wasn't like I trained up for it or anything, it just seem so out of the ordinary.

But the match that I had most trouble was the 3rd singles.
Again, this is against a friend whom knows me quite well, and has played against me multiple times. He has had more time playing tt nowadays as he isn't working atm. Previously, I used to beat him most of the time, not by alot, but usually just managed. But our last encounter was a 3-0 loss from me. So I knew that even though I played well in my first 2 singles, this wasn't going to be an easy match.
And indeed, it was not easy at all.
He seem to have a solid counter to my 'spiny loops'. Whenever I loop the backspin back on the table, he just sends the ball back with great speed. When he serves and attacks, his attacks against my backspin push were really direct and fast, almost like a 'hit', but I think it has to have some kind of brushing action as it is against backspin. As such, I lost the first 2 sets without an answer to his game.
I managed to barely take the 3rd game 11-9, and then took the 4th game also. In the 5th game, I was losing in the beginning, but managed to catch up. Perhaps he is just too exhausted. I managed to win the game. In the end, he collapsed.
But I do wonder if there is something wrong with my looping. It has worked well against the previous players fine, but against him, it is like nothing. He counters it easily. The player that I beat in the first singles, actually beat him 3-1, so it wasn't like there is a big level difference between all of us, as we do play with each other regularly.

I have attached a link of the 3rd singles, and would really like to know:
What am I doing wrong with my loop (if there is anything wrong)
What is he doing that he has no trouble with my loops even though it works great against the other 2 players.
What should I change in my loop in response to this.

Thanks guys.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hi everyone,

I haven't been playing tt as regularly as I would like to due to shift work. My last time playing tt was 2 weeks ago, but I have the opportunity to play tonight, and I recorded my games.

I played 3 singles in total.

The first singles, I won the first 3 sets, the first set was quite close, then gradually I managed to pull off a gap, but up to the last set (4th), I somehow managed to get to a 10-0 lead. I have never had this happen to me for long time where I have a 10-0 lead. It was my opponent to serve, I was going to give a mercy point, but he served and the ball hit the edge of the table. It ended up as 11-0 and I felt terrible, but it is what it is. He didn't give up the point, but just served normally, perhaps he was too tired.

The second singles, again, I won the first 3 sets, but it wasn't easy. Then something surprising happened. I somehow played every point well, and got to 10-0 again. It was my opponent's turn to serve. This time I managed to give a mercy point. The following point, I ripped a backhand and finished the match.

I was quite surprised about getting to 10-0, especially when these people are my friends whom I have been playing with for years, and this has never happened before, and it wasn't like I trained up for it or anything, it just seem so out of the ordinary.

But the match that I had most trouble was the 3rd singles.
Again, this is against a friend whom knows me quite well, and has played against me multiple times. He has had more time playing tt nowadays as he isn't working atm. Previously, I used to beat him most of the time, not by alot, but usually just managed. But our last encounter was a 3-0 loss from me. So I knew that even though I played well in my first 2 singles, this wasn't going to be an easy match.
And indeed, it was not easy at all.
He seem to have a solid counter to my 'spiny loops'. Whenever I loop the backspin back on the table, he just sends the ball back with great speed. When he serves and attacks, his attacks against my backspin push were really direct and fast, almost like a 'hit', but I think it has to have some kind of brushing action as it is against backspin. As such, I lost the first 2 sets without an answer to his game.
I managed to barely take the 3rd game 11-9, and then took the 4th game also. In the 5th game, I was losing in the beginning, but managed to catch up. Perhaps he is just too exhausted. I managed to win the game. In the end, he collapsed.
But I do wonder if there is something wrong with my looping. It has worked well against the previous players fine, but against him, it is like nothing. He counters it easily. The player that I beat in the first singles, actually beat him 3-1, so it wasn't like there is a big level difference between all of us, as we do play with each other regularly.

I have attached a link of the 3rd singles, and would really like to know:
What am I doing wrong with my loop (if there is anything wrong)
What is he doing that he has no trouble with my loops even though it works great against the other 2 players.
What should I change in my loop in response to this.

Thanks guys.

I would like to help you as good as i can by watching the video, but i dont know who you are in the video. Which one is you? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
https://youtu.be/pbUtQS8zUME

Played today against Hiraya Kodai

Why do you have "france" shirt? He seems like a good player. I think your tactic to loop one and then do dropshot is good. I play a chopper reguarly so im pretty good against them. Choppers want you to loop hard since then they do not need to move so much, they can almost just extend the arm. When you move them outside the corners and mix it up with shots so they need to move back and forth, then they are not as good.

I also see some balls when you have made a loop and he chop heavy backspin and you put it in the net. Try to bend your knees more, accelerate more upwards and maybe have a more open racket angle. I find that against choppers it is very important to bend the legs a lot, that makes it easier to lift up the ball and have a more open racket angle. Heavier backspin and you can open the racket angle even more to use their spin.

I enjoy your spirit! keep it up and you will become good in no time :) i wish my students had the same spirit.

Reactions: ahammedislam
This user has no status.
Hi JeffM
I think I’ve told you that before already but your main problem is that you don’t move enough and often stay still after playing one or two shots especially a fast one

Can’t tell about your first two players but probably this one is stronger. You can see like at 3:28 or 3:50 he cannot control easily your slower spiny loop. When you loop 100% like set point in the first set he just blocks it back and you’re not ready to get the ball back. Against the stronger players unless the ball is very easy to finish it’s more advisable to play a bit slower but spinnier shots like the two mentioned above. True especially when you are a bit out of position to give you more time to get back.

That being said even when you play a spinnier loop you have to get ready to play many others in a row. But you don’t get back in neutral position especially when on FH side to play BH next.

My advice is to work on FH to BH drills Like 2 BH 2 FH play at pace such that you can play at least 20 balls in a rally with no mistake . Then you probably don’t do drills with randomness. Should do for example 1 ball middle 1 ball either FH/BH then repeat with middle etc... aim for at least 20 balls in a rally

Your shot quality is ok but you don’t do the necessary footwork to play two three or more quality shots in a row (unless the opponent plays in the desired area)

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
@Lula

yes he is a good player indeed, actually he is a professional coach and semipro player, he plays in Bundeslisga, his name is Kouda Hiraya, you can watch him if you Google him. He's just playing in fun mode with me so we can have a good game.

my current form is a bit sloppy i cooled down on my trading this week and last week after a big tournament for me. my routine is usually 4 times TT a week including a 1:1 session with a coach + a weekly jog but i skipped the coach and the jog this week and last week, plus went on a drinking binge last week and lacking sleep, so yeh im not making the extra effort to bend knees more whether pushing back or looping and in the 3rd set i could feel the fatigue.

I am French, thats why i like to wear this shirt...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
@Lula

yes he is a good player indeed, actually he is a professional coach and semipro player, he plays in Bundeslisga, his name is Kouda Hiraya, you can watch him if you Google him. He's just playing in fun mode with me so we can have a good game.

my current form is a bit sloppy i cooled down on my trading this week and last week after a big tournament for me. my routine is usually 4 times TT a week including a 1:1 session with a coach + a weekly jog but i skipped the coach and the jog this week and last week, plus went on a drinking binge last week and lacking sleep, so yeh im not making the extra effort to bend knees more whether pushing back or looping and in the 3rd set i could feel the fatigue.

I am French, thats why i like to wear this shirt...

yeah, he seemed to have a good form. It is fun to watch choppers, nice when not everyone play the same. Haha, drinking binge sounds exhausting :) i went out dancing last weekend, now i have had a cold for a week. To old for dancing haha.

Okay, maybe could have worked that out myself, but i thougth you were from Japan because of the flag.

Keep posting the videos, interesting to watch!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Lula, I think Jeff is the one in White Shoes, not the Orange/Black.

Jeff, with this guy, hitting the ball with only medium spin, whether it is slow or fast loop is no good if the ball doesn't land deep. Your friend is a counter hitter just waiting for these. 11:23 is a good example. You put it right in his middle FH zone at just the right depth for him... he didn't even need to move - all he had to do is reach a little, swing some, and use firm grip pressure - result - a rocket. There were some fast loops you did to his BH corner, fast loops, but he just blocked you. Consider learning a slow, extra heavy spin loop you can place deep, or very shallow. Finding the middle is important too, especially on your faster loops.

You may need to consider how to construct the point better. One and done is sometimes done, but the kind of offensive shots you did are not gunna be 100% winners. Consider some shot combinations to move opponent to open up some other possibilities. A sidespin loop slow light and low past his FH corner will really open up the BH corner for you. A loop to his middle will open up both corners or another to his middle. These are just some considerations.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
@jeffm

I could not watch the whole match, you guys are Making me mad! Haha. What is the reason you chop like everything? It is not world championship, you are not going to become better playing like that. Better to lose and develope as a player i think. That Will make you win at the long run.

I also think you need to practice looping at backspin. The basics can be better. Some tips to consider is
Bending the legs more, loop upward and most important you need to brush the ball a Lot more. When you open at backspin you need a fast explosive motion with the forearm. This willl give you a higher arc and more spin.

By accelerating more you Will get more spin and it Will be a Lot harder for your opponent to counter back.

You also need to considered the placement of the ball. I watched almost the whole video and you only made the opening loop against his forehand time after time. It is not hard to make a good counter if you know where the ball are coming.

And if you are not safe with the opening loop and play someone which always chop the first ball you need to change the tactics and mix in some topspin and sidetop so the ball goes up and he Will not be ready to chop everything.

Good luck!

Reactions: JeffM and ttmonster
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I didn't want to get into the "Why are you pushing 2-5 balls per rally?" thing...

I am like you Lula, I think an incoming underspin ball is a personal gift to me in a match. It is for me, by far the easiest ball to make your first topspin, also has the potential to be the last one.

However, we all know everyone isn't gunna be a tiger right away on this. Players want to win during matches and avoid risk. If their loop vs underspin is not 70-80 percent reliable, it is no use to even try it in match lay where you are trying to win a match.

Looping those balls and trying other shots you know you need to develop for match play is a very good idea to grow strategically at the cost of losing un-important matches.

Lula, I have a very similar mentality on this topic, but I am realistic enough to know everyone isn't gunna go for it in matches like this.

In USA, most places for TT are just a school/community gym that has tables setup for a few hrs 1-2 times a week... and do matches only... you lose, and you are off the table. It might be 30 minutes to get back on table... just to lose again. Sure, it is much better for strategic growth to play as you should become... and lose as a consequence. You just don't get to do it much in these typical setups.

Of course, Jeff is in a different place in OZ... this doesn't apply to him. As humans, many would instinctively play to win now, instead of win later. Lula, you have the strategic thinking attitude I like and respect. You will continue to be a good asset to TTD members and on the other forums you write in.

Reactions: JeffM