Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Yeah, Maybe it is in human nature that We want to win. But still if it just a training game, i still think it must be better ro develope the game.

I also think that if the topspin against backspin is not reliable he really need to consider the tactics if he wants to win. If he dont want to loop the first ball he should not play a short backspin serve or return short. Better to serve nospin, topspin or sidetopspin so he get a flip or a bad push. Especially try to serve like that when the opponent is pushing every return. Or Maybe even a long serve.

Ooh, thank you! That was a nice thing to say! You too! :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Thank you for all the constructive feedback guys! I will try to address each individually.

@Takkyu_wa_inochi, I think you are probably right, as I don't play often at all, I would say average once every 2 weeks, if lucky, once in a week, so footwork will be suboptimal. That said, perhaps I also have the mentality to avoid injury, which can be different to others when they play multiple times a week, as you will sort of know your limit better, whereas every time I play, it is like I don't want to push myself over the limit otherwise i am stuffed, as injury will affect my ability to work and to play in the future. I will try and work on the FH and BH drills when I get the opportunity. I love the sport, but there are other things in life currently that makes it difficult to get more tt hours.

@Der_Echte, I agree with the medium spin loops. I think I used to do spinnier loops before, but now I settled and got complacent with medium speed and medium spin. I will try to work on a even slower and spinier loop. I have done side side loops before, but only to topspin or no spin incoming balls. I will try and see if the same can be applied to backspin balls.

@Lula, I agree I am pushing the balls back more than usual. But I think it is because my loops are not working in the match. Whatever I loop often gets 'counterhit' straight back at me, as mentioned by Der_Echte. So rather than feeding the points, I wanted to wait for a better opportunity to loop a stronger ball. I think I did tried to vary the placement to his backhand side. It has worked several times, but there were also few times that he just counter it fast straight back.

From my own observation, I actually noticed that my pushing needs some work. I noticed that when he push the balls to me, often it is quite low, hence, I couldn't actually do a fast loop without increasing the risk. I therefore had to lift the ball with some sort of arch, which he seems to be very comfortable to counter it back. I also need to work on pushing the ball back lower, even if there is less spin, as my pushes seem to float high which is perfect for him as he likes to 'hit' the ball more than brush.

Overall, it seems like his style is a hard counter to my style, 'counterhit' to medium loops. I will work on the things mentioned above.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@JeffM : Bend your knees !!!
Thank you for all the constructive feedback guys! I will try to address each individually.

@Takkyu_wa_inochi, I think you are probably right, as I don't play often at all, I would say average once every 2 weeks, if lucky, once in a week, so footwork will be suboptimal. That said, perhaps I also have the mentality to avoid injury, which can be different to others when they play multiple times a week, as you will sort of know your limit better, whereas every time I play, it is like I don't want to push myself over the limit otherwise i am stuffed, as injury will affect my ability to work and to play in the future. I will try and work on the FH and BH drills when I get the opportunity. I love the sport, but there are other things in life currently that makes it difficult to get more tt hours.

@Der_Echte, I agree with the medium spin loops. I think I used to do spinnier loops before, but now I settled and got complacent with medium speed and medium spin. I will try to work on a even slower and spinier loop. I have done side side loops before, but only to topspin or no spin incoming balls. I will try and see if the same can be applied to backspin balls.

@Lula, I agree I am pushing the balls back more than usual. But I think it is because my loops are not working in the match. Whatever I loop often gets 'counterhit' straight back at me, as mentioned by Der_Echte. So rather than feeding the points, I wanted to wait for a better opportunity to loop a stronger ball. I think I did tried to vary the placement to his backhand side. It has worked several times, but there were also few times that he just counter it fast straight back.

From my own observation, I actually noticed that my pushing needs some work. I noticed that when he push the balls to me, often it is quite low, hence, I couldn't actually do a fast loop without increasing the risk. I therefore had to lift the ball with some sort of arch, which he seems to be very comfortable to counter it back. I also need to work on pushing the ball back lower, even if there is less spin, as my pushes seem to float high which is perfect for him as he likes to 'hit' the ball more than brush.

Overall, it seems like his style is a hard counter to my style, 'counterhit' to medium loops. I will work on the things mentioned above.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Heya all :) had a little break due to holidays... i feel like i need more to recover from the ones i just had >.<

Back to tt, today we have our next match and im going to film it !

Here you can see the group development so far. We are third place and today we are playing against the team below us. I know they miss one of their core members, but the one filling in is the only lower ranked player i have lost to last season, so I am a bit nervous about not having trained much in the last two weeks and playing him. Also i play Sebastian, the one i played in the training video. The last opponent is probably going to be a good block player with a dangerous backhand which i haven't played against before.
Group:
https://www.click-tt.ch/cgi-bin/Web...roupPage?championship=MTTV+18/19&group=203827

The site is great if you are into statistics... there is an even more detailed one which tells you all kinds of percentages (tell me if you are interested).

My main focus for today is going to be not making unnecessary errors and to open up safely with spin into the opponents weaker side.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I tried out a new training group tonight. The coach was the fantastic woman in the below video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFABZHkh2iI&t

One of my most entertaining 1:1 training sessions so far in my fairly short TT career. It didn't matter how hard or how bad my shots were as everything just came back to exact same spot. While this was happening she was giving feedback on how (poorly) I was performing. Fantastic stuff.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
The match is over and we won!
However, it was a hard earned win with casualties for everyone of us. We won 7:3, starting out 3:0 in the first round. Then they came back with three wins against us for a 3:3 draw, for me it was against my nemesis... the one I was afraid of losing to and that's how I played.... very tight and awkward... see for yourself.

The first video is still turned the wrong way... hope this gets fixed soon. (Had to delete some code to find "rotate" button which they removed with the new studio update on youtube)

This is the loss against my nemesis

I came back trailing 0:2 to win :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Played last night at the University of Akron club (which I thought had gone defunct after I graduated) and am very happy to see the club operational again. Compared to past clubs they have a pretty good talent pool with 3 players around a 1500 to 1700 level after only playing for 1-2 years. There was also an exchange student from France that was at a higher level than the other 3, but I don't know what his USATT rating would be. The primary coach, who also coached the club when I was president, was there too, as well as a relative newcomer. I played a match with the top player on the team and with the coach, losing both 3-0 but games were close and I was happy with the way I played. Against the other high level player we worked on counterlooping at mid distance, mostly BH as that was our collective weakness. With the newer player, I worked multiball with him to increase his confidence in reading spin and looping underspin. Overall, I felt pretty good about how I played. Loops against backspin were 90% and I was happy with the power. I felt I did a better job reading spin on opponents' serves and being selective which serves I flipped vs which serves I pushed. Now that I'm playing good opponents and landing enough of my opening loops, I'm finding I'm weak in counterlooping. I can block at the table, but it's not dangerous, and I haven't had enough experience counterlooping at distance to be confident. Moving forward, my plan is to work on that. I was getting used to a new setup as well - Gambler Hinoki IM8 Carbon with Burst Thor's Hammer FH and Big Gun Thor's Hammer BH. The difference between this setup and my normal setup is mainly that both rubbers are faster and the blade is faster on more powerful strokes. I don't know that it affected the outcome of my play much, but I did notice I was less tired after I finished playing since I didn't have to try to rip loops to keep opponents from countering. Definitely need a little more play time with the setup before forming a solid opinion on it but I like it so far. Overall, fun night and am happy to be back enjoying TT again. I'll be going back next Monday and will do my best to get a video, too.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Hi guys,
question to all the EJ's out there.
I bought 3 weeks ago a new faster blade, Acoustic Carbon Inner, I wanted to try something a bit faste than my Korbel, as recently I improved a bit and thought I might change as I've been playing with the same stuff for so many years.

My sensations in FH are quite good, but I make a lot more mistakes with my BH, even in block, but most importantly for opening loop and drive, the feeling is quite different, its more difficult to use the topsheet and spin the ball. I have to be more relaxed and more precise on the impact else the ball is flying away immediately. As soon as my body posture is wrong or i'm a bit late on my footwork, its much less forgiving.

Now the question is: does it make sense for me to continue and give me more time to adapt ? or should i give up ?

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
yeh thats why i chose that blade. I think its not that bad and that I can adapt, but now i am also questioning my logic to change

What is the reason behind the change of blade?

Three weeks is a short period of time. Try a little longer. How far away from the table do you play? in my experience, faster blades often have lower dwell time and leave the racket faster and is therefore more suited for a game close to the table. While slower blades is the opposite and better away from the table.

This user has no status.
@Lula
i play close to the table, i would almost never lose my baseline in matches now. I used to play a bit farther out younger, but i don't go anymore because a bit far from the table, my BH is not stable and powerful enough and i don't have legs to take FH everything as I used to do.

Actually i thought exactly the contrary, that the faster blade was a sine-qua-non for people not playing at the table but not so necessary near the table.

Yes, the problem is the dwell time. with my Korbel i have a better feeling of brushing the ball with the BH, now i feel the ball is leaving the racket too quickly, the only way i can find is to relax, focus, and make a slower shot to brush more the ball but under pressure its not easy, i got the opposite automatic response, need to retrain the brain !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
@Lula
i play close to the table, i would almost never lose my baseline in matches now. I used to play a bit farther out younger, but i don't go anymore because a bit far from the table, my BH is not stable and powerful enough and i don't have legs to take FH everything as I used to do.

Actually i thought exactly the contrary, that the faster blade was a sine-qua-non for people not playing at the table but not so necessary near the table.

Yes, the problem is the dwell time. with my Korbel i have a better feeling of brushing the ball with the BH, now i feel the ball is leaving the racket too quickly, the only way i can find is to relax, focus, and make a slower shot to brush more the ball but under pressure its not easy, i got the opposite automatic response, need to retrain the brain !

I think the faster blade will suit you good if you play close to the table. I thought that the ball leaving your racket fast would be a good thing when you play close to the table? why do you think this is a problem? no control? Yes, i agree that with the faster blade you proably need to brush the ball more to get spin. Maybe a softer rubber will give you more control and help with the spin in the backhand?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Here are a few considerations...

Different equipment is of course different, so it will feel and perform different in all your different stroke situations.

This may result in better or worse quality initially on some or all stroke types.

There will be an adjusting period, unless the new stuff is very similar to old.

I would judge the worth of using new on a few factors.

How easy or difficult is it to adjust your important shots to land?

What is your new consistency after a month or two? Improved?

What is the quality of your new shots? Are they spinnier? Better placed? Easier to add pace and less spin when you try that? Do they land deeper or very shallow when you try?

How do your new shots trouble your opponents?

How do your new shots fit in with how you construct points?

Do your new shots give you more flexibility for more tactics?... or at least keep or improve your current ones?

Are you still stable and confident a few months using it?

I believe the above are more practical measures.

Yet, there is always joy in trying and discovery.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
I don't think 3 weeks is a very long time but the adjustment between Korbel and Acoustic Inner shouldn't be that big, they have the same outer ply and are very similar in speed. Perhaps you have been playing with your other blade so long you are attributing things to the difference in feel that are not actually happening. Just a theory.