Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Lula, I would like to see a video of the pushing technique using a vertical paddle, even better an instructional video.

It would be better if i get my friend to show it. But he never practice anymore and is not a coach either. If i train with him sometime, i will try to remember this.

I have not really mastered it yet. And i can imagine that it works best with an inverted rubber on the forehand. Compare to my short pimle, the ball will grip the inverted more so the ball will get more speed. When i do my return the ball always slips a little on my short pimple, the ball do not grip, that is why it is not so sensitive to spin. But i am speculating alot here.

If i will become good at this, despite my short pimple rubber i will try to film it. But i think i need pretty much practice at this.

Reactions: ttmonster

NDH

says Spin to win!
NDH is another sandbagger by the way. The sandbaggers are DerEchte, Richie and NDH. You will think when they compare their games to others that they have issues but they have things they do incredibly well that you can only beat them by taking away from them. If they complain about their game/technique don't be fooled.:p

Haha - I wish!

I'm just here doing it for us big guys NextLevel!

Every time I watch myself, I'm like "God damn, get lower, move quicker, don't do that, oh boy that's bad!"

Then I remember it never changes, and unless I manage to shift 10 stone, my 6ft 4 frame will be as vertical as the Empire State Building!

Uploading the video now, the hamster is running as fast as he can to get my internet speeding along - Sadly, the UK villages have to deal with 1mbs upload speeds.......

The video is 1.8GB! haha.

I put a few of the decent points at the start of the video (it's a 10 min video) - Chucked in a few "instant replays" for good measure!

It looks like I smashed him from this video (I didn't.....) - I just think I managed to grab the more YouTube worthy points on the night!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
NDH is another sandbagger by the way. The sandbaggers are DerEchte, Richie and NDH. You will think when they compare their games to others that they have issues but they have things they do incredibly well that you can only beat them by taking away from them. If they complain about their game/technique don't be fooled.:p

Well, I guess it is better to be known as a sandbagger, than a bragger, a whiner, or a blowhard. Somehow, it seems right to talk up my friends (NL knows how I talked up Carl's and his level vs me in the car before enter the gym to play.) and downplay my status.

I am not blowing smoke about Sergey Scoobie Doo though, his game and results speak for themselves. He would add a lot of level-headed discussion if I could ever get him to comment.

I think a proper video where he smokes me would be the straw on his camel's back to get him to post on TTD.

NDH

says Spin to win!
NDH! Where is the video?

Sorry! The Hamster passed out, but it’s live now!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m0q5lO9DaXg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m0q5lO9DaXg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool! Are you the Guy in red? Read somewhere that you wrote that you is tall.

This user has no status.
I have the racket higher closer to the table i think, so i try to have the racket high further away to. But i do not agree with your coach that your flick should look like your backhand loop further away from the table. It is okay to play a shot that looks like the backhand flick close to the table because you do not have the time to use more arm there and the short is mostly for the tempo. But further away you need to play harder i think, so you need to use the forearm alot more. if you use just the wrist you will not get enough power. I think Dima plays pretty close to the table, but i think he uses more forearm aswell if he is further away from the table.

I agree that the timing is important. Important to wait for the ball and hit it close to the body.

You misunderstood me, not the same, but similar. The further away from.the table the more different it looks but my two strokes were totally different. See if it is the same for you.

Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.

He's got a technically better forehand but doesn't put full power into it and doesn't use placement as well as you. Your backhand is also better. Tbh you guys look fairly even and I imagine in proper competitive match it's very close. Do you both have ratings?

NDH

says Spin to win!
His rating is higher than mine, although part of that is because he went in at a higher level when he came to the UK a few years ago, where as I’ve been playing for years, and it’s much harder to gain points when you have a lower starting point.

Id like to think a competitive match would be close, he’s beaten payers I’ve lost to this year, and I’ve beaten players he’s lost to.

Over the course of a season, he’s probably slightly more consistent though, but I’m improving every year, so I reckon next year I’ll take him :p

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I have a friend who is like NDH. It is like playing a more mobile and powerful version of myself and it helps me realize what pros feel like when they play Dima. NDH is just naturally stronger than the rest of us and don't let anyone fool you into thinking that strength doesn't matter in TT. You can do the same backhand he is doing and the ball won't travel an inch. With his power NDH really has two forehands lol.

NDH

says Spin to win!
I have a friend who is like NDH. It is like playing a more mobile and powerful version of myself and it helps me realize what pros feel like when they play Dima. NDH is just naturally stronger than the rest of us and don't let anyone fool you into thinking that strength doesn't matter in TT. You can do the same backhand he is doing and the ball won't travel an inch. With his power NDH really has two forehands lol.

When my backhand is on song, it's a nice weapon to have! I worked really hard on it a few years ago, as it was by far the weakest part of my game - It's still not perfect, but it can do some damage at times.

That being said, it's still my achilles heel.

My service return is generally poor, my flick is average at best and I lose confidence with it in games (which puts me on the back foot) straight away, and I need to get more consistent with it.

Yes, I can still produce some flashy 1-2 combos - But I'd rather have the spin/speed/consistency combo just right.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
When my backhand is on song, it's a nice weapon to have! I worked really hard on it a few years ago, as it was by far the weakest part of my game - It's still not perfect, but it can do some damage at times.

That being said, it's still my achilles heel.

My service return is generally poor, my flick is average at best and I lose confidence with it in games (which puts me on the back foot) straight away, and I need to get more consistent with it.

Yes, I can still produce some flashy 1-2 combos - But I'd rather have the spin/speed/consistency combo just right.

Maybe a full match would allow us to see these things. But if backhand is your Achilles heel, then it is likely more mental than real. It is also likely that you can still go to Timo Boll ALC speed levels but whether that would make a difference I don't know.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Maybe a full match would allow us to see these things. But if backhand is your Achilles heel, then it is likely more mental than real. It is also likely that you can still go to Timo Boll ALC speed levels but whether that would make a difference I don't know.

There is definitely a mental element involved - I know I can do it, but years of not having a great backhand are haunting me.

I just need to consistently keep doing it in matches and it'll become second nature.

As for the blade - I tried the TB ALC and it's a similar speed to the VS Unlimited.

I'm going to buy the Harimoto blade - Partly because I love the look, and partly because I think it will help my game.

If I can find an IF ALC to try beforehand, I will do (but they aren't common around here).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
There is definitely a mental element involved - I know I can do it, but years of not having a great backhand are haunting me.

I just need to consistently keep doing it in matches and it'll become second nature.

As for the blade - I tried the TB ALC and it's a similar speed to the VS Unlimited.

I'm going to buy the Harimoto blade - Partly because I love the look, and partly because I think it will help my game.

If I can find an IF ALC to try beforehand, I will do (but they aren't common around here).

Yes, the speed is similar on basic loops but there is a slight difference in feeling when you hit the ball harder (Butterfly blades tend to feel as if they are releasing the ball a bit more slowly). But it is a tiny detail. You want a slower blade, I think Innerforce is the right place to go next. I do think the BH thing is weird - you have way more power than the average person from that side, even for a good player.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Yes, the speed is similar on basic loops but there is a slight difference in feeling when you hit the ball harder (Butterfly blades tend to feel as if they are releasing the ball a bit more slowly). But it is a tiny detail. You want a slower blade, I think Innerforce is the right place to go next. I do think the BH thing is weird - you have way more power than the average person from that side, even for a good player.

It's like I've spent the last 20 years in denial - Thinking that quicker is better.

The Schlager Carbon dominated my junior career - I also used this when I came back to the sport a few years ago.

Then the Garaydia ZLC took over for a year and my average improved.

The VS Unlimited was the weapon this year (slowest yet), and shock, my average improved again.

Yes, it helps I'm improving, but there is a clear correlation between getting more balls on the table, and winning games - Who'd have thought it?!

Because I have the natural power, I think an Innerforce will still allow me to play big spinny/fast shots from mid table, whilst giving a bit more control and spin close to the table (which is where I have a tendency to lose points).

I'll let you know in a years time if it worked!