Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
FruitLoop said:
Tactically he stands very far back to receive and comes in, he has a great short receive, therefore I'd be doing a lot more long serves. He'll be giving up the table and give you the initiative for that first loop more.

I have considered that aspect a lot actually. It is a proper tactical observation from you. (Maybe I could get an advantage outta that if I was a better player)

The reasons why I do not serve long vs him so much is he is always ready for the long serve and will attack it at a high rate. I do not have a lot of percentage to win that rally, if it gets to a rally.

Yet, for strategic growth, I ought to play some games vs him when I goof off and serve him 60% long to develop how I can play that kind of rally, even if it would be mostly a fail at first.

That kind of fast FH rally is something I really do not do well and have always avoided in matches as much as I could. That dynamic needs to improve as much as my other (numerous) weak areas, so it isn't a terrible idea to begin growing that area too, even if it loses me points vs him.

Losing points games matches vs Sergey is gunna happen anyway so I oughtta get some mileage outta that dynamic while I can.

Reactions: ttmonster
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
ttmonster said:
Have you tried to force him to loop diagonal serves to his forehand that are half long ? ... the elbow buster ones ?

He is good at looping stuff that is halflong. If I can make it look half long and double bounce it, more power to me, but allowing him to open up is a losing tactic, but so is trying to play at a higher level that I am. That is the real pressure a better player places on you. I accept it and do my best to grow strategic things. I have the offensive shots to trouble or win vs him, but not the ability to read the ball or play 6 shots vs him to get it done. (That last part is improving a lot too, but it is still a ways off)

What I wrote might sound hopeless, but it isn't. We are both in a situation improving each other. The losses are helping me a lot more than it looks if you see how I lose or win points vs him over time.

Sergey has that perspective of me over time and I hope he would come to TTD to comment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Sergey is easily 2+ levels better... such a class of player puts pressure on their lower rated opponents to play that way, because if the lower player plays too safe, that player gunna get punished. You would have to see how he plays vs other players of his class to know he is simply a winner. I have my good days vs him, but most of the matches are like this one - a convincing loss, with Der_Echte improving upon a lot of what is needed without any game/match results to show for it.

If I can get Scoobie Doo to actually register and post on here, he would tell you all a different dynamic. He has been playing vs me the last 1.5 years and knows more than anyone what is changing and improving in my game (that really needed improvement) He would also tell you I force him to adapt (he is doing a bang-up job of that) and improve as well. Scoobie has also gotten 2 levels better the last 1.5 years as well.

I got a long way to go to reach his level, but it IS within possibility. I have the offense to do it, but need a lot more consistency and ability to play at different speeds with quality to get there. Also need to read the ball better.

I understand that you need to play a high risk game, almost at chance to be able to beat a better player. But you play to difficult now, so you loose because of it. In this video i do not think he puts you under much pressure. For me it looks like he know that if he pushes the ball back and place safe you will play to difficult and proably miss. There must be a balance between playing difficult so it is not to easy for the opponent and not playing to difficult so you miss instead. Now i think it is to much of the first thing. If you play more safe, it would atleast be more of a fight for the point.

This is just my opinion so i might be wrong. I think the game will be much much more close if you just play much easier and put the ball on the table. I think you will benefit more from playing easier, than using hardcore tactics. I want to see a rematch when you focus on putting the ball on the table and try to kill the ball when you are sure you will hit it. I think this will make it much more close, or maybe he just will kill the ball but atleast then it is not you that make so many unforced errors and he actually need to work for the point.

Looking forward seeing a second match!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Even thought I played against it that one time a year or so back , I know what a beast he is .. and now he has added to his arsenal ...

from what I saw he is constantly using your weakness on the short ball on the forehand , the lack of an consistent forehand over the table loop and I know how good your backhand is .. so while you use these setups as an opportunity to become consistent on those shots ... you may want to think about how to get him out of position with setups that are going to get your the ball on your backhand which you can attack with quality , either quality placement or spin .. that might be a better stock play with different other variations .. to keep him honest
He is good at looping stuff that is halflong. If I can make it look half long and double bounce it, more power to me, but allowing him to open up is a losing tactic, but so is trying to play at a higher level that I am. That is the real pressure a better player places on you. I accept it and do my best to grow strategic things. I have the offensive shots to trouble or win vs him, but not the ability to read the ball or play 6 shots vs him to get it done. (That last part is improving a lot too, but it is still a ways off)

What I wrote might sound hopeless, but it isn't. We are both in a situation improving each other. The losses are helping me a lot more than it looks if you see how I lose or win points vs him over time.

Sergey has that perspective of me over time and I hope he would come to TTD to comment.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
@ttmonster

Your current rating is 25 points too high to partner with me to win U3600 doubles for the 3/16 Sacramento Tourney... Would you be interested in teaming up with David to compete? Would Hurricane Sandy be interested in teaming up with me to win the division if you/David have a bad day?

This user has no status.
I agree with Lula, would be interesting to see a rematch where you really focused on spin, using the body to generate power more and not try to kind of bear hug the ball into submission at times. He might just blast you off but the contrast and what you would learn from it makes it worth the effort in my opinion. Slow, spinny openers, very relaxed grip.

This user has no status.
@DerEchte

Hi I watched your video.

I haven't seen many recent videos of you, the last one I remember, you were playing in a tournament against a teen girl [I think you lost]. Compared to that one, I think you've improved overall.

I think you should tell Sergey not to put a Tshirt of the same colour than the wall, and that he should throw the ball more when he serves ! also change the orientation of the camera to landscape !

Regarding the match itself, my impression is that the technical difference gap between the 2 of you is not that big, but yeh, he's a better player.

Sorry to say that, but what is the most striking is the difference in the level of fitness between both of you. So many times you make a miss because its not the first shot in the rally, you look either tired, or can't make the effort of adjusting a little bit your footwork. you miss more FH than BH and the cause is the footwork. One can make good BH just with good technique, - the first point of the video with 2 consecutive BH is excellent - but one cannot make good FH without using properly his legs and good footwork [unless the ball is coming straight at you]

I agree with all other comments saying that you are too tense and should relax, and look for more consistency before anything and eliminate unforced errors - like the one on the 2nd point of the video, ball is coming to your BH which should be your strong shot, but you rush it and put too much power, I think you should wait a bit more, getting down more on your legs while waiting and play it with more spin and placement rather than power.

I noticed a technical mistake that you did a few times, on your FH like at 0:50. Ball is coming to your FH. yeh you should move first your left leg as you do your backswing and while swinging transfer your weight forward ending on your left foot. But, even if you're late to the ball - wgu, you should absolutely try to recover your balance as you make the shot and finish on the left foot. Here you're making some kind of jump (and your upper body is going up as well) and we can see clearly that you put your left foot THEN your right foot when all is done.

I believe you should always be thinking about keeping this balance at all times when doing a FH, it may mean to execute a softer or replacement shot in FH, but if you don't do that, you will keep making mistakes and even if your shot is on the table it will be a weak shot AND your recovery will be late anyway so you can't get the next ball.

at 5:20 you do 2 FH in a row which are on the table even the ball is a bit far from you because this time you do end on the left foot.

Also, make the effort of keeping a good stance at all times. On FH (more than BH), you have a tendency to move straight up your upper body when you execute the swing. I think it is to compensate for the lack of power from the legs. Anyway its a bad habit.

Regarding short game / receives, you do make some mistakes but you do make some good shots, you sure know how to do them, its about percentage, and notably moving a bit more quickly to the ball.

Regarding matchplay, he didn't (need to ?) do much, he won with your errors mainly. For example i didn't see him make strong 3rd ball attacks which score the point immediately. You often blocked his opening loop without problem. But I think you didn't have tactics to put him out of his comfort zone. I think serving more to his short FH and test his flick and in/out footwork could be a tactic. or pinning him to his BH serving with inside sidespin (shovel / hammer/ BH) serving from the middle or FH side or the table, - and then opening with a slower spinny loop taking less risk and going for consistency.

I'm not saying you'll beat him next time playing like this, maybe he's got some margin, but if you pay attention to all these things, he'll need to show us much better TT to beat you.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Lula's club has put together a kick ass trailer for their tournament:
https://www.facebook.com/SafirTT/videos/2098085653815196/

TT life is not so great right now. Progressing quite a lot and almost beat a guy in the league who was almost 3 times my Swedish rating (he had 1600) but lost in the last set with 9-11 (2-3 in sets). It's really frustrating to almost win against these guys and then having a mental breakdown and loosing with a service error. More practice and less league games is probably the right thing right now. 4 league matches in 10 days a bit too much as it cuts down on practice.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Yes! It starts soon! Are you coming?

Just so much work all the time before, during and after the tournament. I am often head of the umpires. So much stress. But it is fun too! But i Do think many from my club is very happy when the tournament is over.

There are always two ways too se things. Maybe you can be happy that you played well and that it was close. I think the opposite! More matches and tournaments and you Will win the close games. I think experience is important if you win or loose the close matches.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Yes! It starts soon! Are you coming?

Just so much work all the time before, during and after the tournament. I am often head of the umpires. So much stress. But it is fun too! But i Do think many from my club is very happy when the tournament is over.

There are always two ways too se things. Maybe you can be happy that you played well and that it was close. I think the opposite! More matches and tournaments and you Will win the close games. I think experience is important if you win or loose the close matches.

Would love to go to see the tournament but we have 4 month old puppy at home so I guess that I'll be grounded for some time.

I agree with you. Loosing is never a good thing. A lot of things worked well in the games tonight but I gave away too many points by unforced errors (as usual). I got the same feedback from one of the better cadets in NSK earlier in the week: "You're way better than that old man if you don't miss so much" :D My BH which used to be quite strong sucks nowadays after my coach has worked a lot on getting my balanced/footwork correct for the FH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
What kind? My mother has two collies.

Why is your bh worse from changing your fh? No practice?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Probably lack of transition drills.

It’s actually the other way around. That’s what we’ve been working on. I’ve just got really shitty body coordination. Both my FH and BH are quite ok on their own according to two different coaches that has commented this. The main issue with FH is that I’m not resetting after looping (I end up with the center of gravity too low and my right leg tends to be plastered to the floor)

The issue with the BH seems to be related with confidence. I seem to have lost confidence to hit above 80%.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
What kind? My mother has two collies.

Why is your bh worse from changing your fh? No practice?

It’s a Danish-Swedish farmdog (Dansk-Svensk gårdshund). It looks like a Jack Russell but has a way more gentle temper.

Everything with FH and BH and transitioning works quite ok during practice matches when the coach keeps reminding me of my errors but all of that is lost in the heat of real matches. I hope that it will improve over time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
It’s a Danish-Swedish farmdog (Dansk-Svensk gårdshund). It looks like a Jack Russell but has a way more gentle temper.

Everything with FH and BH and transitioning works quite ok during practice matches when the coach keeps reminding me of my errors but all of that is lost in the heat of real matches. I hope that it will improve over time.

Okey, dogs are great!

Yes, it is hard to change stuff. I try to have the racket higher when playing bh. Works fine in exercises when i really focus But hard in free play or matches.

I believe in really easy exercises when We change stuff. Maybe even shadowtraining. Many Times it is just to difficult to change a stroke if the exercise is hard or if you play with a ball.

For me more shadow
Training would be perfect. As long as i have the racket high and loop forward i get a good result. So really Do not need to play with the ball i think, just correct the motion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Martin! What are you trying to change about the change between fh and bh?

Interesting to hear.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Martin! What are you trying to change about the change between fh and bh?

Interesting to hear.

The're two issues really:
1) The movement is a bit too much upwards and not forwards. My drive is ok but the loop has issues when counter looping due to this. This is the easiest to fix and I'm getting better at this.

2) The biggest issue is what I do with the right foot. I follow through the loop quite well but it seems impossible to reset the right foot so I quite often end up with the right foot in front of the left foot after a few loops.

Basically - everything to do with the arm I seem to have no issues with learning but my feet just won't do what I want them to do. I'm crap at dancing and aerobics as well... zero coordination :)

Edit: Read your question incorrectly. Too much at work :) What we're trying to fix is how I place my feet. Also focusing on moving in/out from the table. I typically just move out/out/out. Also changing where I place my right foot.

Edit2: The coach films our sessions so I'll try to get a hold of tonights footage. Maybe you'll understand more of what she tries to achieve than me :)

Last edited: