Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The're two issues really:
1) The movement is a bit too much upwards and not forwards. My drive is ok but the loop has issues when counter looping due to this. This is the easiest to fix and I'm getting better at this.

2) The biggest issue is what I do with the right foot. I follow through the loop quite well but it seems impossible to reset the right foot so I quite often end up with the right foot in front of the left foot after a few loops.

Basically - everything to do with the arm I seem to have no issues with learning but my feet just won't do what I want them to do. I'm crap at dancing and aerobics as well... zero coordination :)

Edit: Read your question incorrectly. Too much at work :) What we're trying to fix is how I place my feet. Also focusing on moving in/out from the table. I typically just move out/out/out. Also changing where I place my right foot.

Edit2: The coach films our sessions so I'll try to get a hold of tonights footage. Maybe you'll understand more of what she tries to achieve than me :)

Yeah a video would be interesting.

Try this.

Have the racket higher, or search in the ball first atleast. If the racket is under the ball you are forced to hit upward to hit the ball.

That is No good. If you loose your leg you are forced to play bh. Maybe you can try to Widén your stance or try another way to get more pressure on the feet. You want the feet to the flor ro be able to generate power from the legs.

Try standing further away from the beginning. We move much faster forward. If We are to close We need to jump backwards. Maybe you can try to put a barriär(good that you are swedish!) behind you so you are forced to stay close.

Reactions: mart1nandersson
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Hello anybody can help me please? I'm desperate about choosing good equipment for table tennis. I started with palio bat it was good actually, but I felt i need something better so I made mix of blade and rubbers and its incredibly fast for me its a butterfly peter korbel off plus butterfly tenergy 05 and tenergy 80 and its really fast for me. I bought this mix because one friend brought this set to my work and I played with this and it wasn't so fast maybe it wasn't so fast because the blade was different and very very old same like the rubbers. I think I'm intermediate player and I don't know what to do now. There's two options.

Option 1) keep the peter korbel blade and use some softer (slower) rubbers. But I'm not sure if this will help or

Option 2) buy some allround blade plus allround rubbers?

What do you think? Do you think if I will change the rubbers only and will be using the Peter korbel blade it will be slower and more controlled or its better buy some stiga allround or some similar blade plus some rubbers not so fast?
Thank you so much for any advice

Odesláno z mého H8416 pomocí Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think it is best with slower blade and slower rubbers if you have not played so much. Hard to know when We Do not know your level.

Why and how are you changing your forehand loop?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
@giglowen

"intermediate player" doesn't mean much. I think myself as well as an intermediate player. but I think your setup is now too slow for me, I had almost the same a few months ago (Korbel + T80 + Spinart), changed the blade since...

So maybe if you post a video, we'll get a better idea. We have no idea of your style, of your level, of whats troubling you. Most probably the problem is not your setup but your technique...There are many different options, like to keep T05 + T80 but get a thinner sponge. or take a more controllable rubber, like Rozena if you want to stick with Butterfly.

I'm not an EJ myself, i believe in the wisdom of the crowds so I'd stick to one of the bestsellers, this is the sales ranking in Japan

http://world-tt.com/ps_goods/goods_ranking.php

so anything in that list is a good choice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I had an interesting evening. Played sets against a division 3 player (2000+ Swedish rating which I guess is about 2200-2400 USATT judging by videos that I’ve seen). Not much to say other than his serves. The amount of backspin was crazy. A lot of my returns didn’t even make the net but just went straight down into the table even though I pushed quite violently upwards. Also got to try his setup which was cool as he had T05 on the same blade as mine. Rozena isn’t that much different. Less in spin but speed is pretty much the same (for me that is).

He he gave me some great advice on service returns and I got to practice to push early and aggressively on backspin serves.

1 to 1 practice with the coach after that was filmed and will be uploaded to YT when she gets time. The session wasn’t that great as I wasted way too much energy playing the division 3 guy. I need to start running again.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I had an interesting evening. Played sets against a division 3 player (2000+ Swedish rating which I guess is about 2200-2400 USATT judging by videos that I’ve seen). Not much to say other than his serves. The amount of backspin was crazy. A lot of my returns didn’t even make the net but just went straight down into the table even though I pushed quite violently upwards. Also got to try his setup which was cool as he had T05 on the same blade as mine. Rozena isn’t that much different. Less in spin but speed is pretty much the same (for me that is).

He he gave me some great advice on service returns and I got to practice to push early and aggressively on backspin serves.

1 to 1 practice with the coach after that was filmed and will be uploaded to YT when she gets time. The session wasn’t that great as I wasted way too much energy playing the division 3 guy. I need to start running again.

Was it always backspin? he must have really much backspin if he fools you with the same serve all the time. Important to change something if you miss the serve.

Looking forward to watch the video.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Was it always backspin? he must have really much backspin if he fools you with the same serve all the time. Important to change something if you miss the serve.

Looking forward to watch the video.

No. He was able to do top/back/side/no with pretty much the same movement. I was able to read 4 out 5 correctly which is ok for me. The issue was that he also changed the level of spin quite a lot between different serves. A backspin serve could be medium or extremely strong so it was hard to judge what kind of effort to put into the push. Probably the best serves I’ve ever encountered and I have goofed around with some pretty good players in the club.

edit: what worked in the end was to banana flick it but he just loop killed that.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
No. He was able to do top/back/side/no with pretty much the same movement. I was able to read 4 out 5 correctly which is ok for me. The issue was that he also changed the level of spin quite a lot between different serves. A backspin serve could be medium or extremely strong so it was hard to judge what kind of effort to put into the push. Probably the best serves I’ve ever encountered and I have goofed around with some pretty good players in the club.

edit: what worked in the end was to banana flick it but he just loop killed that.

Impressive to get so much spin with the new ball. I feel that many players do not get so much spin anymore with this ball. Do not think the amount of spin was the most troublesome for you since it actually is harder to get so much spin with this ball. More problem that his serves were deceptive and he varied them alot.

Impressive to be able to banana flick the backspin serve. That is difficult i think. Maybe you need to vary your placement of your flick more. hard to kill it everytime if he do not know where the ball is coming.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
David is asking , when is the last date to register ..
@ttmonster

Your current rating is 25 points too high to partner with me to win U3600 doubles for the 3/16 Sacramento Tourney... Would you be interested in teaming up with David to compete? Would Hurricane Sandy be interested in teaming up with me to win the division if you/David have a bad day?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think it is best with slower blade and slower rubbers if you have not played so much. Hard to know when We Do not know your level.

Why and how are you changing your forehand loop?

There are 3 videos in this playlist. The one I am going to train the most is Laj Topspin 3.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1xHYZmEaJtRKNImmUhXvI8VSL7WX9oAj

I simply was told that the 3rd stroke looks the most professional to cut a long story short. I have always had it but thought it was mostly wrist in my head but was told that the timing is best.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
There are 3 videos in this playlist. The one I am going to train the most is Laj Topspin 3.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1xHYZmEaJtRKNImmUhXvI8VSL7WX9oAj

I simply was told that the 3rd stroke looks the most professional to cut a long story short. I have always had it but thought it was mostly wrist in my head but was told that the timing is best.

I agree! The third clip looked the best. Looked like you extended the arm more, the motion were a little more steady and the same all the time. You get really good power at the moment, but it looks like you are mainly using your arm and not the torso. Maybe you can try to rotate the torso a little more for even more power. But maybe you are to close to the table to have the time, hard to see from this angle. Maybe you are using the torso but i can not see it, and maybe it is not needed if you already get good power.

The footwork drill is called the werewolf, atleast in sweden. I think maybe you can accelerate a little more and be a little more aggressive. It is good that you do not miss, so you get to practice the motion several times. But i feel maybe you can try to pressure yourself a little more with a higher tempo, and it is not good if the tempo is to slow so the opponent will attack the ball in a match. I think you move pretty well despite your kneeproblems.

Keep filming. very interesting!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I agree! The third clip looked the best. Looked like you extended the arm more, the motion were a little more steady and the same all the time. You get really good power at the moment, but it looks like you are mainly using your arm and not the torso. Maybe you can try to rotate the torso a little more for even more power. But maybe you are to close to the table to have the time, hard to see from this angle. Maybe you are using the torso but i can not see it, and maybe it is not needed if you already get good power.

The footwork drill is called the werewolf, atleast in sweden. I think maybe you can accelerate a little more and be a little more aggressive. It is good that you do not miss, so you get to practice the motion several times. But i feel maybe you can try to pressure yourself a little more with a higher tempo, and it is not good if the tempo is to slow so the opponent will attack the ball in a match. I think you move pretty well despite your kneeproblems.

Keep filming. very interesting!

When I try to rotate more my knees get into trouble. So I have pretty much given up on that.

Thanks for the comments, my blocker is not going to be consistent If I use more power and my location will fall apart but if I do multi ball, I will try to up the pace but within limits. The floor is cement so one can only go so far. My knees don't feel too bad today but they are still not what they once were even if they have always been somewhat bad.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
When I try to rotate more my knees get into trouble. So I have pretty much given up on that.

Thanks for the comments, my blocker is not going to be consistent If I use more power and my location will fall apart but if I do multi ball, I will try to up the pace but within limits. The floor is cement so one can only go so far. My knees don't feel too bad today but they are still not what they once were even if they have always been somewhat bad.

Yeah, thought about that. I was thinking if you could only rotate the torso and try not to change the weight of the feet. But when you rotate the torso back, the weight proably will be on the right foot and the opposite when you go forward. So maybe it is not possible to rotate the torso without putting pressure on the knees.

Okay, maybe you do not need to use more power but more spin. Maybe will cause him trouble aswell. I think if you are much better than him it is a good idea to make the exercise difficult for you and easy for him. You can try to get the ball 100 % free on your side and put everything to his bh block.

You proably have thought about everything around your knees. But how is your shoes? if the floor is cement and you have knee problems i think you need to have really good shoes with good cushioning.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yeah, thought about that. I was thinking if you could only rotate the torso and try not to change the weight of the feet. But when you rotate the torso back, the weight proably will be on the right foot and the opposite when you go forward. So maybe it is not possible to rotate the torso without putting pressure on the knees.

Okay, maybe you do not need to use more power but more spin. Maybe will cause him trouble aswell. I think if you are much better than him it is a good idea to make the exercise difficult for you and easy for him. You can try to get the ball 100 % free on your side and put everything to his bh block.

You proably have thought about everything around your knees. But how is your shoes? if the floor is cement and you have knee problems i think you need to have really good shoes with good cushioning.

We are both about the same level but his blocking is very topspin and sidespin oriented and that makes it hard for me to just play the ball. Since we both started getting coached as adults, we have very individualized solutions to certain patterns. I worked with TTEdge ans actually spent some time coaching and ended up refining my blocking to make it flat in most drills but he developed topspin oriented solutions sometimes with sidespin so it will just make the drill fall apart if I am going hard with side top and he is blocking with side top.

I was the idiot who stopped being as conservative with my knees in a aggressive attempt to play higher level TT. I am now back to Volleyball shoes with good padding. I use Gel Rockets 7 because Rockets 8 has no real protection. As long as I don't try to bend them aggressively I usually end up okay the next day. The challenge is to find a coach who will accept this and figure out compromises rather than continuing to look at me as if I should be doing the regular technique. If I don't find one in the next 4 months I will just play matches and analyze video as in the end the most important thing is to read the ball and modify the technique for my limitations.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
usually my routine footwork exercise is 2BH + 2FH but i changed to 2BH + 1FH to see how it was like, and its actually quite different ! because i have to get back quickly for BH again, i need to do the FH with a good balance, the footwork needs to be quicker. In the first exercise its good to train FH down the line (i mainly to this exercise vs BH) and thats probably why i did quite a few good ones in matches.

need to try 2FH + 1BH next !!!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
David is asking , when is the last date to register ..
Registration Deadline is March 6.

You think Hurricane Sandy is up for this tourney if she drugs you and has David drive you all up here?

The tourney is on omnipong. Look for the Sacramento March 16 tourney.

If you never used omnipong before. You will like it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ttmonster