Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Made vid of game 1 and 2 vs Sergey Scoobie Doo. Same result. In game 3, I played great and won, then since club was closing soon, had another player play vs Sergey who was itching to play.

Played better, same, and worse in different aspects. Wasn't too bad as most of the night, I utterly could not judge a ball and might have lost vs 1000 level players.

In game three, I was GAME ON and we had a lot more long rallies and I got a couple good breaks I usually never get. I missed a lot less and that helped.

If you look at the vid, at some point in game 2, I was able to give the Sacramento Cheer for the camera.

Vid is still uploading to youtubie.

Now uploaded, a lot of game 2 got blurred focus, gunna need to set phone to manual focus.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Do not know who she is. Like i said, i do much planning so i do not see much tabletennis since i look alot on a paper, talking to umpires and chasing them. There are also sooo many players during these five days, so it is hard to see a specific individual.

I know who she is now after seeing her video against Dan. I did not see her. I think a short pimple rubber or two would work very well for her game and maybe could make her some levels better. Feel that she seems to take the ball early, mostly borrowing the other players speed and have a pretty thick hit. But i have only seen the match against Dan. I think he played to offensive.

She lost to Harimotos sister in mini cadets final. She does indeed, she plays quite modern style like Hirano etc. Not sure about the short pimples though, she has always used flat (T05) and against choppers and backspin she loops very well.

Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Now the tournament is over and all the work after is done! We made this year again. Feels good.

Pretty impressive that we pull this off every year i think. There is alot of work. Fortunaley we have great people that have helped thorugh the years. I am somewhat a rookie with my 20 years.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Now the tournament is over and all the work after is done! We made this year again. Feels good.

Pretty impressive that we pull this off every year i think. There is alot of work. Fortunaley we have great people that have helped thorugh the years. I am somewhat a rookie with my 20 years.

Great work Lula & your club. I really enjoyed the live stream which saved my day when I was at home from work with my daughter who was ill.

Reactions: yoass and Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Made vid of game 1 and 2 vs Sergey Scoobie Doo. Same result. In game 3, I played great and won, then since club was closing soon, had another player play vs Sergey who was itching to play.

Played better, same, and worse in different aspects. Wasn't too bad as most of the night, I utterly could not judge a ball and might have lost vs 1000 level players.

In game three, I was GAME ON and we had a lot more long rallies and I got a couple good breaks I usually never get. I missed a lot less and that helped.

If you look at the vid, at some point in game 2, I was able to give the Sacramento Cheer for the camera.

Vid is still uploading to youtubie.

Now uploaded, a lot of game 2 got blurred focus, gunna need to set phone to manual focus.

Only watched the first part, it was difficult to see the whole video because it was out of focus.

I think you played much better this time than the last video. Or atleast i think so. Now you play much easier so you put more balls on the table so he actually need to do something with the ball to win. Maybe he sometime blast by you then but still much better than that you miss alot in my opinion.

I think many times you miss now because you are not standing correct. So there are to many different strokes so it is difficult to be safe. I consider myself more safe than you, but it is easier for me because i only need to train almost one or two different fh and bh strokes because i come more correct to the ball. You need to train and become safe at more fh and bh strokes because you are not moving well enough. I aslo notice that you loose your rigth leg some times so you are forced to play bh from the fh corner.

Do you do any drills? i think you would benefit and become much better if you do some easy bh fh drills and footwork drills. This would help with coming more correct to the ball.

I also think you should do some serve then opening exercises, so you become really safe at the opening loop. And also put in that you get the ball back and you work on keeping the advantage in the ball.

Maybe it is much more fun to play matches, but it is also fun to become better!

I am also really confused. You are not korean? I thought you were born in Korea but lived in the US. But you do not look very korean to me haha. But maybe i am wrong. I also found it interesting at our tournament that all the players from USA looked asian or indian. USA seem to be doing pretty good by the way. The players were good.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Do not know who she is. Like i said, i do much planning so i do not see much tabletennis since i look alot on a paper, talking to umpires and chasing them. There are also sooo many players during these five days, so it is hard to see a specific individual.

I know who she is now after seeing her video against Dan. I did not see her. I think a short pimple rubber or two would work very well for her game and maybe could make her some levels better. Feel that she seems to take the ball early, mostly borrowing the other players speed and have a pretty thick hit. But i have only seen the match against Dan. I think he played to offensive.

Anna Hursey is trying emulate Liu Shiwen style.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I think many times you miss now because you are not standing correct.
Lula, you win the no-shyt Sherlock award for noting a very obvious fault of mine. No disrespect to you, you are properly noting it and I am being myself - a Joker. If you have 30 years of Military on your body, you might be lucky to be alive, or if you were pounding your knees and jolting your body doing an average of 5-10 km of SLOW up and down knee pound in formation... or had to do mechanic work for 30 yrs, your knees would be toasted poof. My issue is HIPS... and a lot of it is extra cargo weight... damn those BPAs all over my container supply.

I think you played much better this time than the last video.
I don't really think it was too different by much, I do stuff, Sergey handles it. Game 3 not on video was so much better, typical of when I get everything right vs him and get him under pressure and win points.

I am also really confused. You are not korean? I thought you were born in Korea but lived in the US.
Haha 100x haha. I am extreme white skinned USA dude, if I take off my shirt, I could displace Rudolf and be the lead reindeer for Santa's sleigh. I wasn't born in Korea, but in SOUTH CENTAL LA... you know, the gang war zone famous.

I get along with Koreans as I speak Korean a level below native, because I got caught, tied to a chair and forced/coerced to learn Korean... I figured that if I was going to burn those brain cells learning, I should learn well and have a lot of fun with it.

Not mentioned is my German screen name and frequent mention of Germany. I lived there 10 years and still remember my night-school learned German... but I am very far from being German... or Korean. Let's say I picked up a lot of their ways and leave it at that. this confuses many people who do not know me on the forums.

I also found it interesting at our tournament that all the players from USA looked asian or indian. USA seem to be doing pretty good by the way. The players were good.
This is mostly a cultural thing. To get to a level to even think of competing for the national team, one needs a LOT of training and practice... like YEARS of it... and that stuff doesn't come cheap. We are talking about a minimum of $100,000 USD investment... often many times that. USA parents are not inclined to spend that kind of money for TT development... it just isn't culturally acceptable, but it is just OK to spend 10x that in training someone for golf or tennis. (maybe right as there is 1000x more money in those sports)

There is also the issue of LOCATION. There are only a few cities in USA that have a club training center with high level coaches to get a new kid to a national team member standard. We are talking about San Diego, San Fran/San Jose Bay Area, LA, NYC, Chicago, Indy, Maryland, Triangle, Dallas and excuse me if I left out 1 or 2... that is about it... we have a huge country. In those areas, a lot of the higher wage earning professions are engineers or medical... guess which foreign countries dominate the foreign crowd in USA of those professions? Yup, Asian and Indian (Indians should be classified as Asians too)

I say that not as bad-talk, but frank talk. That is how it is... and USA could learn a lot from how Asian/Indian parents approach child development and family unity.

if you look at which club owners took a risk and opened up a proper large private TT club in USA... we are likely to see it is 80-90 percent foreign born/raised owners doing this risk. Your average whit skinned/dark skinned person is MUCH less likely to open a club... not NEVER, but not so often. This is a reality.

The main driver behind any of our growth of private TT clubs in USA is foreigners who culturally like TT. There are not enough USA native people who will get together for this in the average city except for beer pong. Social TT is becoming a growing economic option... it has hope, but requires a lot more development to get to a point where there will be enough members to interest any sufficient number to make a chance for more clubs based on that... but when it does... look out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Anna Hursey is trying emulate Liu Shiwen style.

Do not know who she is either haha :) I do know who Mima Ito is. I think Hursey could play well if she tries to play similar to her style. Feel that she seems to have the play for that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Do you do any drills? i think you would benefit and become much better if you do some easy bh fh drills and footwork drills. This would help with coming more correct to the ball.
Any bh fh drills that you would recommend? Those that make you better at movement and switching between fh and bh.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Any bh fh drills that you would recommend? Those that make you better at movement and switching between fh and bh.

In my opinion it is often better to play easier drills, and get the technique correct and many balls over the net so you get to practice the strokes. Do not need to make it so difficult i think.

Maybe you can try these for bh fh transition

1 bh, 1 fh
2 b, 2 fh
The irish, were you do 1 bh, 1 fh, then 2 bh, 2 fh and so on.

I think you come a long way with the above and just making them a little different.

Other, a little harder exercises could be: Falkenbergaren, the werewolf(bh, middle, bh, fh), the opposite of the werewolf.

And maybe some random drills like, 1 or 2 bh, 1 or 2 fh. Middle, fh or bh. Bh block against the whole table.

Footwork drills could be: two or three point from different places of the table, 75 % from bh or fh, or middle. Use forehand on everything when doing footwork drills.

I think you can come up with your own drills or do different versions of the above. As long as you get good play they are good. Like i said before i think the easier drills is many times better then harder more difficult ones.

Reactions: whocarez
This user has no status.
Do not know who she is either haha :) I do know who Mima Ito is. I think Hursey could play well if she tries to play similar to her style. Feel that she seems to have the play for that.

You are amazing Lula, a TT coach steeped in the game who has never heard of Liu Shiwen, probably the second most famous current female player (after Ding Ning) and who had a butterfly blade with her name on until very recently! She has won 4 world cups and lost two world championship finals btw.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
You are amazing Lula, a TT coach steeped in the game who has never heard of Liu Shiwen, probably the second most famous current female player (after Ding Ning) and who had a butterfly blade with her name on until very recently! She has won 4 world cups and lost two world championship finals btw.

Haha, i have heard of the name and the blade But i have not seen her play. I Will need to look her up at youtube!
Have not seen much Female tabletennis, But the women at our tournament got better play and longer balls compared to the men i think so it was more enjoyable to watch. So Maybe i should start watching more Female tabletennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Fruitloop, you would be surprised at how many men who are 2400+ who don't even find women's TT interesting or watchable. Not saying Lula is one of them, but that you shouldn't be surprised if a high level Male player has little interest in women's TT. In fact you should be pleasantly surprised if they are current on women's TT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
@Der Echte
watched your video.
my overall impression is rather the same than in the 1st video

You know how to do all important individual strokes correctly. I even found on this video that your FH had quite good power and spin, you're really going forward through the ball. The BH is spinny as well like on the first video

Serve/Receive is ok - at least i don't think it's the reason why you are losing, he is not attacking (willingly or not ?) your serves, and you don't make that many weak receive so that he can make a 3rd ball winner.

The 2 huge problems are consistency and footwork, and in my opinion its part of the same problem.

You're not consistent because you play most of the time with too much power and full commitment, like if you want to score a winner on each stroke. Because of that you lose your balance and cannot recover quickly. Because your footwork is rather slow, if your opponent puts one or two simple blocks at the opposite side of the table, you're 3 meters away from the ball.
Also, because your footwork is a weakness, you should really make an effort to stay at the table and not go back because you are not able to cover the whole table if you step away.

I really think you need to do simple drills like 2FH+2BH at a slower pace. the good pace is the one when you can hit at least 20-30 balls in a row with good spin quality and placement without making mistakes. When you make no mistake you can do the drill a bit faster and with more power.

In match you have to change your mindset, and in priority play in such a way that you are always 100% sure you can get the next ball even if it goes on the opposite part of the table. so dont play with too much power 70% is enough, but focus on spin and placement, and get back quickly in neutral position and get ready. Kill the ball with full power only if its an easy chance ball, slow, mid table, high.... and of course you should play for safety. you should aim for at least 80% of opening loop on the table. we're not there in this video. it means playing with less power and more conservatively.

Also, when the ball is going wide to your FH, make your steps such as when you finish the stroke, your weight is on the left foot at the end. I wrote that last time, we can see it again that you reach for wide balls and make a bad shot because your weight is on your right leg and you cannot recover your balance. in this kind of situation, don't hit the ball hard at any cost, its better to make a slower safety shot but make it in such a way you have a chance to get the next ball

lastly all of Sergey serves are illegal. He's not throwing the ball. It doesn't annoy you, but i'd call the umpire if i was playing him in a tournament.

I hope it helps. BTW i've been told most of the above by my coaches and/or senior team mates and i started improving when i started listening to them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I didn't win any tournaments (and I don't have plans to in near future, because of my level) but I'll post something here anyway. Maybe I won't be laughed at :p.

Well, today I had a 3 hour training at my club in Gliwice. I have a friend who came with his father today ( we train table tennis together for 5 years now). Had a warmup with him for about 60-75 minutes. If I can boast a bit, my forehand topspin (which is far worse than my backhand topspin) has improved a bit. I don't take such a long stroke anymore. Then I played with people from people playing in Polish 3rd league and managed to won a set with one of them :). Right now I have Waldner Diablo Senso blade (3 ply with 2 glassfiber) and 2 Andro Hexer Grip rubbers and they work very well :). I bought Stiga Azalea Allround a week ago and still think what rubbers to use on it. I am thinking of either Hexer Grip or Rakza 7, since both are middle-hard rubbers.

Anyway, coach said that I improved a lot during those 5 months I started going to a club and I only hope to improve more. Maybe get past 2nd round in a tournament :D. Also, super excited for this next weekend, since Gliwice will host Polish Championship tournament after 45 years ! (last time in 1974) ! Can't wait to go there :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
lastly all of Sergey serves are illegal. He's not throwing the ball. It doesn't annoy you, but i'd call the umpire if i was playing him in a tournament.

It does kind of look dodgy in real time. But....here....these are photos of the toss on the first 3 serves.

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 7.54.29 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 7.55.43 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 7.56.54 AM.jpg

In real time they look awkward. But, when you pause during the toss, it does look as if he is tossing high enough. Not very high. But on each of them, it looks like at least 8-10 inches (20-26 cm).