Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
funny I believe the short push taught by Baraty in the video above, would be rather considered as an advanced stroke, here in Japan

The preferred and more basic shot to make a short receive, they call it "STOP" and its really about taking the ball as early as possible and adjusting the bat angle to keep it really short. only on very heavy backspin serve you need to lift the ball a little bit as you do that to avoid a net miss, but its not really recommended to enter the ball agressively with spin for the STOP

thats the one i use most for receiving. I seldom try the (long) push receive on a short ball but i definitely should do it more and practice it more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
also wanted to share that. My coach explained me yday how to do a "stop" (2 bounces) receive against a topspin serve to short FH.

this is a rather difficult and semi-advanced stroke, but the FH flick is difficult as well

like all receive to short FH, step towards the ball with right foot (heel FIRST) under the table, and body facing 11 o'clock.
be very quick because we must catch the ball right after the bounce, with a very light vertical chop, a slightly open wrist and a very loose grip to absorb speed and energy. If you're a bit late, then the receive will be one bounce only, - or worse - ball will come off the table.

If you know already how to do "stop" receive against no spin or backspin, the touch is not so different, just the angle of the racket and that light chopping motion so just try it !

Did he talk about taking the ball close to your handle? Curious.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
looks like a Ponzi

I know that it is not a ponzi. I know them and i would not post it if i thought it was a ponzi.

And i Do not understand how you think it can be a ponzi when you Do not need to invest any money.

But i can agree it is proably hard to win because alot of people Will participate because it is a very good deal if you win.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
So here's the situation. Last night was the last match of the season. Two teams from our club were up for the championship in the division. We shall call the teams us and them :D . We were following them since the beginning of the season in the second place. Before last night, we had 4 draws, 1 loss, and 16 wins, and they had 4 draws, and 17 wins. Given the fact that they have never lost a match this season and they were facing a team from the middle of the table, we were not hopeful about our chances. Now, imagine their team 4-5 behind and the last match is being held at the same time that we are 5-1 ahead and need a single win to win our match. I look from the side of my eye to check the other table, and I see that their last match is 0-2 and 9-3 in the third set, and I think to myself this is going to be a long match. But, when I win the match and look at the scoreboard, I see that their top man lost that set 12-10, so they lost 4-6 in their last match of the season and at the same time we won our match. With equal score it became clear that we had won 5 individual matches more than them, and this is how we became the champions of the division after following them for the WHOLE season! And as a cherry on top, I became the individual champion of the season. It all feels like a miracle in the last minute.

Who said low level leagues can't have drama?

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I know that it is not a ponzi. I know them and i would not post it if i thought it was a ponzi.

Yet participating requires not only signing off yourself and what's yours to the Empire that Eats Souls, but surrendering three of your friends to it too.

It may not be easy, but we should start putting a stop to the scheme of abuse also known as Facebook.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I feel that No one is forced to either join Facebook or the chance to win a place at the training camp. Just Tried my friends at Japsko out and give you guys a chance to win a place.

I also Do not think it is very strange that they want you to share it with your friends. Not many people give away something for free. A training camp/ vacation worth about 700 USD is pretty much money so i understand that they want something for it. Think sharing it with your friends is a small price.

But like i Said, everyone should Do What they want to.

Reactions: thekleifheit13
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Our chinese coach trained the kids on crosstep today. With forehand and backhand. Have never seen it done with the backhand. Have you seen it? Pretty interesting.

Reactions: thekleifheit13
This user has no status.
Played at the UAkron club today and am really happy with the way my game is progressing. My mantra was "swing forward over the ball" and that seems to be the right mentality for me. I played only two matches, one with Augustin, followed by coaching him on footwork, then with Mark. I won both, giving me my first ever win vs Mark (#2 on the team). I wasn't trying to kill my attacks and also wasn't getting scared when my opponents attacked. Finding it's much easier to block when you stay calm :)

Video below is match vs Augustin. He's a very good tennis player that has been playing table tennis seriously for only about half a year, but has worked really hard to improve and has come a long way. I did finally get a tripod so hopefully the camera angle is a little better, was limited by a volleyball net so couldn't totally put it where I wanted it. Also, for reference, Mark (guy from match #2) is at the next table in the video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7EdrIPw4qTo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Awesome - Thanks for sharing.

Highlight for me was the "stare down" of the camera at the start! ;)

Damn, I thought I got rid of that on the edit...oh well. At least my personality still comes through in the heat of battle :p

This user has no status.
2 days before an important (local) tournament for us here in Japan this Sunday.
the prize is that the winners (for each age category) become representatives (for this season) of our borough for all Tokyo-wide events.

I think there are quite a few better players than me, but hey, I have an outside chance to win, after all i won a local tourney in November, although every body wasn't there and I had a good draw. I went twice to see coaches this week, (normally once only) and had a knock on Wednesday.

I feel rather optimistic. I've been playing well since last week. My coaches have shown me my limits, beating me hard, but at the same time, thats raising my alert level and I won't be playing anyone as good as them, far from it ! and I feel now they're taking me seriously and play with their full attention which they didn't do before. In the LT it's good for me, I need to up my level to score more points.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
youtu.be/P5JVw8DCv4E
i found this video and the angle is craazy! the video is perfect, you should check it out.
it s a best of jjapans tabletnnis 2019 with all top players

This user has no status.
We had a small tournament today in our borough, whose winner of each category would qualify to be our representative for all-Tokyo competitions.

We were only 8 in our age category, first divided in 2 groups of 4.
My first opponent is my teammate, which i win more than 90% of the time 3-0 or 3-1. But he was playing a bit better than usual today, and even caused an upset just before playing me, and i was really nervous, thinking already stupidly about set-average in case of ties etc... As a result, i won only 3-2.

Next i played a leftie guy who used to be my nemesis and i couldn't even take a set for more than 10 years, but I won our last 2 encounters 3-2 , 3-1 (tournament final), and today wasn't his day at all, he lost 3-0 to me. He lost his 2 other matches before playing me so probably he didn't have too much heart to fight, especially after i was 2-0 up. i won 3-0 (4 10 4), not as easy as it looks because if I lost the 2nd it would have been another match. I think I played a very good match.

Next i played the #1 of the group, a Korean guy who was our representative last year. He has got SP on his BH and plays a classic attacking game. I've played him twice before in tournaments, losing 0-3 both times. Still I felt confident because i know I'm stronger than last year. In the first set, I found out quickly I didn't have too much problem receiving so it boosted my confidence because I'm good in rallies. Also, i got the better of him in BH rallies despite that being his strength. I got the 1st set easily 11-7. In the 2nd i was also ahead all the time, but he was starting to close on me, fortunately for me i got 2 net-ins for the last 2 points to win it 9.
In the 3rd its the reverse scenario. He takes the better start, i'm always behind but manage to come back 9-9. Then he got the lucky net-in and manages to close the game. His confidence is back and despite some good play for me, he is more consistent in the 4th and dominates this set.

However I felt that he was a bit in overheat mode and that couldn't last, and I just tried to make less mistakes in the 5th and time my returns to take the ball a tad earlier. perhaps only 1/10th of a second, but that was enough to change his timing, confuse him and force some errors. I took an early 6-1 lead, then 9-5. he came back but I managed to close it 11-8 (or 9 ?) on a point where i was in defense for once.

So I'm first of my group. The formula of the tournament is that the #1 and #2 of both groups of 4, make a new group of 4, taking into account the results of the match already played.

I then play another teammate E, whom i beat in our only tournament match in November, but who's made me feel miserable in most training matches since. However he is not in form, he lost a game in his group to a small guy that he usually never loses. Indeed he was lacking some confidence and back to his bad habits of going away from the table. I was the more offensive player in game 1 and 2, but in the 1st, i made some unusual mistakes in smashes, to lose it 9. In the second, i was playing well and 10-8 ahead but alas then started to choke and lost 11-13. 3rd set i won easily 11-4. it really could have been 3-0. Then some incident, my nose is bleeding. i sit down and wait a few minutes for the blood to coagulate, but when im back at the table, my body cooled too much, and i lost some focus momentum and influx. My teammate played much better in this game, got a good start, and despite trying to fight back , i couldn't make back the initial deficit, and thats a 1-3 loss.

Last game, I play against the short guy, he's a PH with SP I have a lot of troubles receiving his fast serves because i believe he is not throwing the ball high enough. The referee doesn't see any problem at all. This is affecting me mentally, and I'm losing my nerves and my confidence, I'm not helped by my receiving mistakes and by the fact I never won this guy. Instead of focusing on how to win, I'm focusing on the height of this serve. Basically mentally i failed totally in this match while the other guy was very determined to win. Even though i never beated him, its more a matchup and mental issue because i SHOULD be able to beat him - provided i can receive !!!

Anyway the match was a disaster 0-3. It was not just about his services obviously. I lost my temper after the match, and started arguing with everybody. Call me a sore loser. I was. For the first time i can recall, playing more than 30 years TT !!!

Final result, the Korean guy whom I beat, finished 1st, because he beats the short guy and my teammate (who lost the short guy). short guy is 2nd, my teammate 3rd, and I'm 4th....

Thats TT ... :-/ but I'm happy overall with my performance.

Video coming soon

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Man, your reply got totally burried. So sorry for my late reaction.

Yeah, I also was hoping on a speedy recovery, but unfortunately nothing has changed regarding the injury. Exactly two weeks ago I got the first symptoms, I should give it another week before visiting my doctor for another consult. In case it doesn't cure by itself, visiting the neurologist for an E.M.G. might be necessary.

Aw man, that doesn't sound good. Hope it has become better meanwhile.
I been having elbow pain for more than a year, but two months ago i went to see an american chiropractor and since then the pain has disappeared

Burgers' Zoo is actually a really nice zoo in my opinion, I've been visising it multiple times. I really liked the rainforest, although it was really humid ;).
Do you already know when exactly in the spring you plan on visiting?

When I wrote this I didn't think about my son being in a difficult age and that he's quite jumpy minded at the moment. So the plans got discarded for the moment, but this might change again like the weather...
[Emoji23]

About the glue; I have been trying the yellow/brown-ish glue on some other things first (remains of an old, cut rubber and a piece of plywood) as I said. Although the bond didn't really seem to be affected, it seems that removing the layer of glue from the sponge was a bit harder than it used to be, it didn't come off in one piece. You think half full bottles speed up the oxidizing process since there's obviously more air inside?

I guess your assumption sounds logical. I will have to glue on a new rubber next weekend, so I'll give the old glue another chance. Just in case i still got some Finezip that makes removing a little easier.
Actually i must admit that the consistency and viscosity of Finezip has become my favourite even though it looks a bit like toothpaste.
How were your results with your old glue so far?