Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Is he playing seriously? Or are he joking? Do not know about amazing shots, looks like he have been playing in a basement for over 20 years.

I find a bit arrogant against his opponents. Feel the same way when Bobrow plays.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
New and Curious

Started my table tennis journey this year and I'm curious if there are others like me that have started late in life and have similar goals.

I have married into a family where my wife's children played table tennis. I played a little when I was younger, but it was just the basement with my friends, we had no idea what we were doing.

I'm 47 years old and I'm a big guy. I'm being nice to myself, I am fat! I've been an athlete most of my life competing competitively in several sports, but when I got into my late 30's, I wasn't as active and having a desk job....well, you know. 342 lbs was my top weight.

My wife's oldest son really loves playing, so I started playing with him. Line was cast, I bit, and now am thoroughly hooked. Obsessed. I found a sport I could once again be passionate about and use it as a driver.

In February, I bought a table, catch net, robot, my first blade, some rubbers and now I play everyday. I often wonder how good I could have been if YouTube was available in my 20's! I'm on everyday watching video's, drooling over equipment, and combing through the forums. I practice on average about two hours a day.

Found a local group that would meet on Sunday's and started comparing my progress against others. It's a good group of folks, but all doubles and always the same people. Not too serious, lot's of players just trying stuff. The really decent players tend to stay together and hard to get matches against them.

Found another group of players that meet up on Monday afternoon and that has been fun. The wife even plays there, but competition isn't that great, a lot of players in their 60's just getting the exercise. There I'm considered one of the good players, which makes me laugh because I know I'm not even close. I just don't serve illegally, so they think I'm some kind of wonder player :)

Still not enough for me. I firmly believe in playing better people to get better. I don't get discouraged getting whooped on, it actually motivates me more. Nothing I like to hear more than "Wow, you have gotten so much better!" and seeing that weird look on their face when the overweight new guy beats them.

Looking around I wanted to find a more serious place to play, but the only good club I could find was about an hour drive across town. So of course, I went. Club is amazing 18 Butterfly tables, experienced coaches, talent out the roof.

Went back last night and found out they had a league playing that night. After talking to some players, tracked down the guy that runs it and me, my oldest step son (26), and my youngest step son (17) signed up. "What's your rating?" Ummm, negative... no idea how to answer that.

So he took a chance and put us in the lowest division D. Me and my step sons were put in a pool with three other 10 year old boys. I managed to win the match against one of the youngsters and my 17 year old. My step sons didn't win a single match against them. These kids were no joke and it took a lot for me to swallow my pride, reminding myself that these kids have been taking lessons and been trained probably before they could even look over the table. I also learned that I had no idea how to handle a tomahawk serve....cost me big time against the other two, whole reason I lost. Much time will be spent this week figuring out how to deal with that spin, I was way too passive on the return and the ball was shooting off my bat.

So I've been actively playing since February. I'm down to 300 lbs. Movement is my biggest focus, but due to my weight my knees take a beating when I go a while. I have to recover the next day, so usually just work on my serves to lesson the impact. Recovery is now more important because my goal is not only to get better, but to utilize the movement to lose weight. I'll have to add some bike riding too it too as I'm starting to plateau. Of course I had to change my other favorite past time....food! No sugar, limited carbs I've gotten used to it. I'm a better cook because of it.

I'm joining the club as a member now. Family membership, myself and the oldest son will be taking lessons. We have found a tournament in July and that's our target to travel to that and bring the competition up another level.

I have been stalking this community for about a month now and I am really glad I found it. Very helpful and appreciate everyone's opinions and feedback. It has helped my game tremendously.

I'm curious if others here have had a similar journey and/or goals through table tennis. I'll be checking back in to seek advise and help. Started taking video's and will post as I figure out a more efficient way of doing so.

Again, appreciate having this place to learn and all the time everyone has spent offering help!

Chris

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Started my table tennis journey this year and I'm curious if there are others like me that have started late in life and have similar goals.

I have married into a family where my wife's children played table tennis. I played a little when I was younger, but it was just the basement with my friends, we had no idea what we were doing.

I'm 47 years old and I'm a big guy. I'm being nice to myself, I am fat! I've been an athlete most of my life competing competitively in several sports, but when I got into my late 30's, I wasn't as active and having a desk job....well, you know. 342 lbs was my top weight.

My wife's oldest son really loves playing, so I started playing with him. Line was cast, I bit, and now am thoroughly hooked. Obsessed. I found a sport I could once again be passionate about and use it as a driver.

In February, I bought a table, catch net, robot, my first blade, some rubbers and now I play everyday. I often wonder how good I could have been if YouTube was available in my 20's! I'm on everyday watching video's, drooling over equipment, and combing through the forums. I practice on average about two hours a day.

Found a local group that would meet on Sunday's and started comparing my progress against others. It's a good group of folks, but all doubles and always the same people. Not too serious, lot's of players just trying stuff. The really decent players tend to stay together and hard to get matches against them.

Found another group of players that meet up on Monday afternoon and that has been fun. The wife even plays there, but competition isn't that great, a lot of players in their 60's just getting the exercise. There I'm considered one of the good players, which makes me laugh because I know I'm not even close. I just don't serve illegally, so they think I'm some kind of wonder player :)

Still not enough for me. I firmly believe in playing better people to get better. I don't get discouraged getting whooped on, it actually motivates me more. Nothing I like to hear more than "Wow, you have gotten so much better!" and seeing that weird look on their face when the overweight new guy beats them.

Looking around I wanted to find a more serious place to play, but the only good club I could find was about an hour drive across town. So of course, I went. Club is amazing 18 Butterfly tables, experienced coaches, talent out the roof.

Went back last night and found out they had a league playing that night. After talking to some players, tracked down the guy that runs it and me, my oldest step son (26), and my youngest step son (17) signed up. "What's your rating?" Ummm, negative... no idea how to answer that.

So he took a chance and put us in the lowest division D. Me and my step sons were put in a pool with three other 10 year old boys. I managed to win the match against one of the youngsters and my 17 year old. My step sons didn't win a single match against them. These kids were no joke and it took a lot for me to swallow my pride, reminding myself that these kids have been taking lessons and been trained probably before they could even look over the table. I also learned that I had no idea how to handle a tomahawk serve....cost me big time against the other two, whole reason I lost. Much time will be spent this week figuring out how to deal with that spin, I was way too passive on the return and the ball was shooting off my bat.

So I've been actively playing since February. I'm down to 300 lbs. Movement is my biggest focus, but due to my weight my knees take a beating when I go a while. I have to recover the next day, so usually just work on my serves to lesson the impact. Recovery is now more important because my goal is not only to get better, but to utilize the movement to lose weight. I'll have to add some bike riding too it too as I'm starting to plateau. Of course I had to change my other favorite past time....food! No sugar, limited carbs I've gotten used to it. I'm a better cook because of it.

I'm joining the club as a member now. Family membership, myself and the oldest son will be taking lessons. We have found a tournament in July and that's our target to travel to that and bring the competition up another level.

I have been stalking this community for about a month now and I am really glad I found it. Very helpful and appreciate everyone's opinions and feedback. It has helped my game tremendously.

I'm curious if others here have had a similar journey and/or goals through table tennis. I'll be checking back in to seek advise and help. Started taking video's and will post as I figure out a more efficient way of doing so.

Again, appreciate having this place to learn and all the time everyone has spent offering help!

Chris

Great to hear! Welcome to the forum :)
I just like you am learning the sport through youtube and am hooked since four years now. I know about the struggle of finding practice partner that want to improve for real and not just play some.

Last week I joined a trainings group with a chinese coach that used to be in the national team :O I always took pride in being self taught, but in the long run its a fools pride and I should use every opportunity I can get.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Just an update on my forehand after 2 lessons.
For 1 point forehand, I think my stroke is definitely shorter than before, and more consistent.
But for 3 point forehand, old memory still comes back to me and I will take longer swing when I am not conscious. Something to keep in my mind.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Just an update on my forehand after 2 lessons.
For 1 point forehand, I think my stroke is definitely shorter than before, and more consistent.
But for 3 point forehand, old memory still comes back to me and I will take longer swing when I am not conscious. Something to keep in my mind.

Swing with the hips, not the arm. Stop trying to hit the ball hard. Get the hip timing down even if you put the ball into the net. When the hip timing is fixed, the rest will follow easily. Swinging hard is overrated.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Swing with the hips, not the arm. Stop trying to hit the ball hard. Get the hip timing down even if you put the ball into the net. When the hip timing is fixed, the rest will follow easily. Swinging hard is overrated.

Thanks for the advice NextLevel!
My coach only emphasised to swing the arm fast for power. He did talk about weight transfer with the legs but did not mention about the hips.
Will keep that in mind!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I had a blast tonight. Pretty much the entire training group skipped practice due to the great weather so it was me and a 70+ guy and the coach. The gentleman plays dual sided frictionless anti (hasn't replaced his rubbers since the 80ies) and playing against him is like a game of chess. All of his returns are either super short or fast super long. You really need to fool him because he never allows you to loop easily (plays to the "pocket" nonstop). Probably the most intelligent player I've ever played. He has quite severe issues with his knees so he doesn't like to move but he has really perfected his placement. Not like a normal game of TT but very fun and challenging.

The gentleman only wants 1h of ping pong so the remainder was multi ball with the coach. Great times.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I found a new coach and it was the first session yesterday with him. I went with one of my teammates the two of us together with the coach. He is also an ex-professional player (Hidetoshi Oya)

The first few balls i was quite nervous but it went well and was a quite exciting session. He didn't offer much technical advice (we didn't particular ask for any) but we worked on a few things.

What was great is that he seemed also to have a lot of fun playing with us and he showed us some great TT. We also managed to win a few spectacular rallies. What is more important is that he made both of us play well (and have fun too). We will definitely repeat. I think he was surprised a bit to see 2 decent French amateurs in Tokyo.

Next time, i'll bring the camera

---

I'm really pleased with some of my progress recently.
- My BH is becoming solid, even a half-step from the table.
- for the BH to FH switch I still have a tendency to keep the wrist closed (as to play BH) when i play a FH next. But i have been fighting it a lot when doing drills and its slowly but surely going away
- my footwork to play a short ball then come back quickly is improving as well. I've been practicing at every session for a year at least with the coach and I'm getting it
- Same for the FH flick I'm not mastering the stroke yet, but its much better, and its linked to the above as well

Serves (and 3rd ball) is really where i think i have the most potential to improve dramatically, and it would up my whole game by one or two levels I believe so

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
i really liked his interviews during the WTTC. He did indeed look very nice. Waldner seems to be more proud / arrogant

Exactly. He's a really down to earth small town guy. Reading his biography recently amplified this impression.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Recently, I feel like in good form :). I have been training with university group for about a year now. Feeling a lot more confident to attack instead of blocking all the time like I used to do. My backhand topspin has improved but still I can't do any forehand topspin at all :(. Have to rely on counter smashing during matches. I have beat a man who individually was 1st in ranking in polish 4th league 3 times in a row now :D (once, coming from 0-2). Those were best matches of my entire life. I really hope tommorow I can make it 4 in a row. I have to record my next match with him to watch what I do wrong. Even managed to get 2 sets from a guy playing in 3rd league. Felt great to finally win convincingly against him :). Maybe I will play in 4th league next year. Hope for the best :D.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017

Oh no, not again...

I don't visit this thread too often, so sorry for a late comment. Anyways, I've seen this video earlier (maybe in another thread of MyTT), but I'd like to see more videos of that dude and from NextLevel comment I suppose there are more videos of him?

I've saved it to a playlist and everytime I see, it lifts my spirits :D (The voices behind the the frame are having a great time too :D )

P.S. his FH topspin flick by moving his forehand for a whole 10cm (for the lack of a better word :) ) is craaazzzyyy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Had my 3rd coaching session today. Was productive, and starting to see some effect on my forehand, with shorter stroke and more consistency in looping.
Today I trained alternating randomly topspin and backspin forehand, then the same for backhand, and then topspin and backspin in random locations.
I am still not very good at receiving serves, and we practiced a bit using the banana flick.
Surprisingly, I tried my coach's racket, and his FH rubber is tenergy. On trying it with my forehand, the shots are much faster and stronger. This tempted me to change over from Chinese rubber to Tensor rubber, but I think I will still stick with my H3.
After much consideration, I have signed up for at least 11 more lessons with him. With not much opportunities to play with other players apart from before and after the lesson, I feel this may be a good way to improve / correct my techniques and skills.
I did have a problem during the lesson, where I find that I was unable to grip my bat properly after long duration of multiballs. I suspect the central top piece of handle is rubbing against my thumb, that it nearly formed a blister. Not exactly sure how I can solve this issue, will have to see if sanding the handle edge will help or make the problem worse.
Today prior to the lesson, I practiced with someone from the B or A grade, and she reckons my loops against backspin were quite spinny.
After the lesson, I played with an elderly gentleman whom his son and grandson were champions back in his country. He suffered from an illness last year, and was unable to play as well nowadays. But at 75, he was still playing very well, not necessarily looping to win, but the placement / angles were perfect. Played against him, and won 3:1.
In summary, was a good day of TT for me, someone who doesn't get to play with other players much.

Last edited: