Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Today I played alot of TT at the state center.

First I played with a guy which I played against 3 weeks ago in pennant. That time I won with difficulty, 3-1. Today I played him, and won relatively easier 3-0.

Then I had training with a coach. He tried to teach me to use my forehand to loop those balls that are barely bouncing off the table. I still haven't got it yet, because I am too scared of hitting my blade and my hand against the table edge. Then I told him that my backhand sucks, and he gave me multiball to try to improve my backhand. I am still very unhappy with my backhand, I don't know how to improve it faster....
My forehand however, was quite smooth, and was praised by a grade A player as well as the coach.

After the training, there is a handicap tournament. Based on our ranking, we get different number of points at the beginning, and we play until 31 points. So grade A players will start at 0, as my rating was based on my penhold, I only get to start with 4 points...

First I played against a grade D player, who is probably between C and D, and he get to start at 16 points while i start at 4... I won finally 31-27.

Then I played against a young grade A player who is improving very fast. While I get to start at 4 points, i still lost very badly, 17-31... There were some good rallies when I get to use my forehand.

Third match, I played against another grade A player, this one changed from penhold to shakehand 1 year ago. This time I nearly won, but lost 31-30. I was quite happy with my performance, but he was also very strong, he would let me open up with my spinny loop, yet he will back off the table and then counterloop hard on my super spinny loop.

Fourth match, I played against a Grade D player, and won quite easily from 4-16 (starting point) to 31-20.

Fifth match, I played against the player that I played at the very beginning, the one that I won 3-0. Because he had a rating of a C grade player, he starts at 12 points while I start at 4. I lost 27-31. I felt too tired at the end of all those matches, and my shoulder was starting to feel tired.

Things I learnt today:
1. I really need to improve my backhand so I don't just rely on my forehand to gain points. I really hope I can have a backhand that is at least as good as my RPB if not better, so it can create more opportunity for my forehand. If anyone has any ways of improve backhand, I would love to know.

2. If someone can counter loop my spinny loops, I should not always loop to their forehand, and instead loop to their backhand areas.

There are probably more that I learnt, but right now, I am too exhausted to think of more. Time to have a rest before playing more tomorrow.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
What Do you guys think about goiabao 5 from yasaka? Compare to Clipper and tb zlc? Want a slower blade bur should still be hard, close to the hardness of the zlc. It is also good if the arc is somewhat low.

Bounced with the bare blade yesterday and it felt somewhat hard.

Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
What Do you guys think about goiabao 5 from yasaka? Compare to Clipper and tb zlc? Want a slower blade bur should still be hard, close to the hardness of the zlc. It is also good if the arc is somewhat low.

Thanks

I have a friend that replaced his Stiga Rosewood with this blade when his blade broke (as it was a lot cheaper). They're supposed to be very similar. No idea how either of them play but maybe it's easier to borrow someones Rosewood as it's a fairly common blade just to get a feel for how that kind of wood plays.

Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018

Thanks

It's hard, but not very solid feeling. Not very good for short pips. But just my opinion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
It's hard, but not very solid feeling. Not very good for short pips. But just my opinion.

What is the difference? Feel that a hard blade should have s solid feel?

Any suggestions of a all Wood blade? For preference i like the zlc But would like a bit slower. But the arc and hardness is good. Tb spirit have to high arc and feel to bouncy. Clipper is to soft and with to high arc. Mazunov is hard But proably to hard if i want somewhat hard rubbers. Maybe mazunov would work with softer rubbers But i think it is to Hard.

Have been thinking about Clipper cr, max Wood, overdrive, blodwood 7, victas koki niwa, hadraw SR.

It is also good if the cost below 100 us dollar.

Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I played in a round robin tournament today. I was listed in block 3, 19th in a group of 20 but the level was very homogeneous. I had 6 matches in total, and i finished 10th with 3 wins / 3 losses

I am quite happy with my performance because i gave a good fight in all matches, and even in the 3 that i lost I was ahead at some stage. If I make a personal review

(+) i fought hard for every game, against tough opponents and I came back from behind in a lot of occasions.
(+) i played positively in all but one match, that was the 2nd one. The first match was a great win for me, so perhaps i was still in the euphoria. I lost that one only 2-3 against the guy listed #1 , and was 2-1 ahead but he was a LP player and I wasn't moving enough and determined enough to impose my game, so i was always playing into his game and although i was ahead, at 7-7 in the 4th i started choking and it was over.
(+) perhaps because in the warmup i paired with a higher level LP defender, and practised more FH than BH (which is my more reliable side), I played a more agressive game than usual trying to get my FH quickly in the rally.
(+) my serves are improving, back serve and hammer serve especially. Unfortunately pendulum serve is not good enough yet. (too high / not enough spin / easy to read). I won against my last opponent in the decider when i sensed it was difficult for him to get back my BH topspin serve serving from my FH side straight (like Ovtcharov)
(+) I lost that LP player , and another leftie one (but it was a good and close match) but won 2 other ones.
(+) in rallies i matched all my opponents

(-) i lost 2 letfies. Both games were winnable. Against what I think was the strongest opponent of the day, was up 2-0 8-6 , then missed a rather easy smash - didn't miss many today - and he came back. He then delivered a new serve, short to my FH with both sidespin and topspin and going out on the side of the table. I misread the spin as underspin many times because thats what he had been doing until now. It gave him a lot of cheap points until the end as despite trying to focus on it I really misjudged them as backspin. The other guy had also good serves but were easier to read, thats why the game was close till the end, i lost 13-15 in game 4 (and won game 1 11-5). This guy had LP but I wasn't too much bothered by it.
(-) i didn't play many BH topspins today apart from receive openers. but my BH block and BH in rally were good.
(-) in all games, except one that i won easily 3-0, i felt tired at least during half a set or one entire set, even when i was in the lead. I need to work more on my fitness.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Serge Scoobie Doo with the prize money using MX-K both sides... a new man.
4fcf8ebbc9f3d164961adc308a5db1db.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Any suggestions of a all Wood blade? For preference i like the zlc But would like a bit slower. But the arc and hardness is good. Tb spirit have to high arc and feel to bouncy. Clipper is to soft and with to high arc. Mazunov is hard But proably to hard if i want somewhat hard rubbers. Maybe mazunov would work with softer rubbers But i think it is to Hard.

Have been thinking about Clipper cr, max Wood, overdrive, blodwood 7, victas koki niwa, hadraw SR.

Thanks.

Mazunov isn't that hard. It's just heavy but if you have SP on one side that should be easier to manage.

Most of the blades you are looking at are looping blades. I would try to find out what SP hitters are using. I actually saw one in action today if I had seen this earlier I would have checked.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Serge Scoobie Doo with the prize money using MX-K both sides... a new man.
4fcf8ebbc9f3d164961adc308a5db1db.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I just won the U2000 at Princeton today with those rubbers. Unfortunately I will also go down in history as a sandbagger as I lost my first match to a 1600 youngster and lost 50 pts in the process. Had some tough matches though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Scooby looks really fit. Go to the gym alot?

Nextlevel. I have had a really hard short pimple rubber so it felt like playing with only the blade last time i Tried. But i have made they pimple rubber a bit softer so Maybe works better now.

I have inverted on backhand so need to work for that aswell. I Like the tb zlc just want something slower with the same sturdy hard feel. So not need to be very fast really. Most important is that i get some resistance against he ball When i hit.

Appreciate the help.

How are you and your body feeling nextlevel?

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018

Thanks.

Hi Lula, All the hardwood (surface) blades I've tried had a "match-box" like feeling. Hard and crisp when just bouncing a ball, bouncy, but hollow and insubstantial when smashing, feels softer than one would expect.

I think a uniform 7-ply like basswood or hinoki feels more substantial, solid, and less bouncy. I try to find ones close to or over 7mm in those types.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I have inverted on backhand so need to work for that aswell. I Like the tb zlc just want something slower with the same sturdy hard feel. So not need to be very fast really. Most important is that i get some resistance against he ball When i hit.

Have you tried the TB ZLF? I have no idea how it plays with SP but I have a training partner that switched from the TB ZLC to the TB ZLF in May and he can't stop praising it. I've just briefly tried it but it feels quite a bit slower and controlled than the TB ALC/Viscaria with T05/T64.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Scooby looks really fit. Go to the gym alot?

Nextlevel. I have had a really hard short pimple rubber so it felt like playing with only the blade last time i Tried. But i have made they pimple rubber a bit softer so Maybe works better now.

Appreciate the help.

How are you and your body feeling nextlevel?

Body is okay. I have lost a lot of weight so that has made most things easier but the arthritis and historical damage don't help. I plan to continue trying to lose weight and to see how far I can go with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello DTT CCers!

Been busy and haven't posted in ages. Lots to catch up on in this thread.

Joined a new club and was able to video myself ... still a member of my old club which is not the best to video.

I still have a lot to work on... enjoying the journey. Lost 30 lbs in 3 yrs. Need to lose more. I am a bit more mobile than I used to be. Working on footwork more. There was a period of 6 months to a year when I had zero confidence in my FH loop. During that time I concentrated heavily on practicing RPB and neglected my FH loop.

These videos were recorded after I had played about 90mins already outside of this room. Already a bit fatigued.

Using old Butterfly Taksim blade, Donic Bluefire FH, and Xiom Vega Pro RPB

For a good laugh at me :

Very truly yours in TT,

~osph

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
1. I really need to improve my backhand so I don't just rely on my forehand to gain points. I really hope I can have a backhand that is at least as good as my RPB if not better, so it can create more opportunity for my forehand. If anyone has any ways of improve backhand, I would love to know.

There are no secrets, no shortcuts, only hard work.

May or may not work for you ... I practiced more than playing matches. When i played a match, I forced myself to use whatever stroke i was focusing on all the time ... my RPB and FH loop have been the last 2 strokes I focused on. Looking at footwork now.

I did not care about winning or losing... only if I was able to execute the stroke properly or not during game play. I have a 9-90 record vs 1 friend ... lol at me.

Good luck in your SH journey si-hing! I still like you, you "faan gwat zai" :)