Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@Der_Echte : Wrong thread ? IDK ... looked like that ...
@Boogar : I did :) , the balls are too high :)
Overall, your technique looks really good on regular footwork drills. I think you should try to do some random drills against the machine and post that video. The only observation I had from the first time was your from breaks down significantly when you are playing . IDK is that is still true , but practicing random will give a clue ... Its really difficult to comment based on the current balls , they are high and regular , so your flaws won't show up ...

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
@Der_Echte : Wrong thread ? IDK ... looked like that ...
@Boogar : I did :) , the balls are too high :)
Overall, your technique looks really good on regular footwork drills. I think you should try to do some random drills against the machine and post that video. The only observation I had from the first time was your from breaks down significantly when you are playing . IDK is that is still true , but practicing random will give a clue ... Its really difficult to comment based on the current balls , they are high and regular , so your flaws won't show up ...

Thanks for watching :)
Jea i will try. However i have alittle nervousness problem with filming matches ... i noticed that im playing alot worse when recording :-/
On the other hand thats a good opportunity to train for competition and unusual conditions.

Reactions: ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@carl

I find it odd that you're comparing if Zlc with Schlager carbon. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but when you hit with mine (after hitting with my leidy) you said it felt like a wood blade to you.

It's carbon is deeper in the blade leading to a more wood-like feeling.

I'm actually pretty confident that my development was just as good when the IF ZLC was my main tool compared to my development with my violin setup

Shuki, I think sometimes you don't read so tightly. It's okay. But, here:

.(schlager carbon was my first blade)

The blades I listed are ones laistrogian said he likes.

And not everyone can put information into context well: IF ZLC is a great blade. I've hit with many of them. I don't know.....if you read enough of what I write you will probably have read me recommending it as a blade to some people. Now for The Vampire Lestat I am saying it is not a good blade FOR HIM.

To me, his video confirms my opinion that a different blade that would encourage spin contact and control would help.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: Shuki
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@carl

you're right. I tend to read only one or two comments when around 10 are posted. I comment on the one I see with little insight to the rest of the thread, need to work on that.

Not a big deal. I know you. It's how you roll. And you know me. Usually something like that is there for a very specific reason. Every detail I put in was from information laistrogian supplied. Clearly, NextLevel also picked up on the same stuff.

I am looking forward to hearing how things go for laistrogian after a month or two with the setup that will help him spin better.

And hopefully laistrogian doesn't mind that I renamed him "The Vampire Lestat"!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Not a big deal. I know you. It's how you roll. And you know me. Usually something like that is there for a very specific reason. Every detail I put in was from information laistrogian supplied. Clearly, NextLevel also picked up on the same stuff.

I am looking forward to hearing how things go for laistrogian after a month or two with the setup that will help him spin better.

And hopefully laistrogian doesn't mind that I renamed him "The Vampire Lestat"!

I left my all-wood blades in US and won't be back until september, so... yeah...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
JeffM,

Try hitting the ball much more slowly when you begin practicing and build up every two or three minutes to higher speeds.

Thanks NextLevel! I will try that next time. Is that to add variation to the practice, and to increase my adaptation?
The disadvantage with this machine is that the speed is related to the spin as well, due to the basic model, and so when i start slow and change to fast, I will also need to change the angle of the head of the machine so it can land properly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Hello there!

I'm new around here :)

I really enjoyed the discussion about composite vs all wood blades in regards to the players rating. Probably something I needed to hear, as I bought myself a TBS with a 1300 rating.

After a few months I switched to a Butterfly Primo all wood blade and I think I improved. I using the word think here, as I bought it off season.

On the FH I also switched from far too hard rubbers (Andro Powergrip 2.0mm -> Donic Bluefire JP02 -> 2.0mm) to a Donic Bluefire M2 max.

Do you think that rubber is still too hard for my rating? I'm contemplating to try a M3, but that could be the EJ virus talking :)

Also another question: does anyone have a solution on how I could record myself with my smartphone while playing? Do you guys just put it on an adjacent table or what do you use for recording your videos?

Reactions: Suga D and Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thanks NextLevel! I will try that next time. Is that to add variation to the practice, and to increase my adaptation?
The disadvantage with this machine is that the speed is related to the spin as well, due to the basic model, and so when i start slow and change to fast, I will also need to change the angle of the head of the machine so it can land properly.

You should start slow, the robot doesn't need to. The thing is that you need to avoid tensing up in table tennis in general and the #1 source of tensing up in my experience is trying to hit the ball harder than your technique is ready to sustain. Even when your technique can usually sustain it, it is usually not ready to sustain it at the beginning of the practice. So you both want to get your body ready to perform at different ranges and to perform without tension at the fastest range. Pro players never start working out hitting the ball hard and the rumor is that Samsonov starts out the slowest.

The other issue is that people who swing at the ball at only one speed get confused when their opponents change speeds and can't adapt because they are used to timing the ball with one swing speed all the time. While you can't practice slower balls with your robot, you should be both vary your swing speed and the speed of the balls you swing at. Always try to produce balls of different quality with your swing, mostly high quality spin and speed, but sometimes deviations like higher spin than speed, higher speed than spin, and different depth placement.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl