Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says Hello! My name is Cielo (pronounced Shell-o). I grew up...
Oct 2019
SS, or double S, (my Korean coach when I started in Korea was Lee Seung Sook, who also called herself double S)

What you describe for a USA outfit is even better than normal. Most USA places have to go the route of extreme economy... which means renting cheap space in a rec center or church or school gym (or getting it free) and setting up tables to pretty much play matches... little to no chance of training, and who gunna train you if everyone is 200 to 1600 USATT level?

So I get it about your club situation... it is not normal for someone with any means to take over a part time operation and make it full or near full time.

I also get it about no one around you being able to do the things you need to train effectively as you want... so you take what you can get and try to make things around you better with time... I get that too and it can be tough... but your situation is still way better than normal USA places who have to drive 3-6 hours to find anyone even remotely close to a level to train at a higher level.

Koreans in Korea identify the kids with potential real early, hire an ex-pro for 2000 - 3000 USD a month, then turn their multi-purpose room or small gym floor into a pro training center with collection nets and every basic drill you can imagine with kids feeding and blocking for each other single ball multib ball bh to bh fh to fh topspin to topspin topspin block topspin all under the guidance of drill sgt coach and they love that stuff.

In USA, 2000-3000 a month wont even pay a janitor part time work, let alone train 12-20 kids 3-4 hrs a day professionally.

You're right. I used to call other clubs without realizing that they are 2-4 hours away from my location, and I can't do that while working full-time. But now that I'm working at home, and my kids are getting bigger, it has been easier to go to the club and train, even by myself. I was lucky enough to find somebody (training partner) who was willing to put in the work. We are helping each other a lot. But when we talk about the past 10 years, he said he understood where I was coming from because there really wasn't anybody to play with that can help me improve in a consistent level. My desire to go up the next level is still there, and I can finally try to fulfill that with consistent training so I'm thankful. I can't ask for me.

I'm also blessed to have such a supportive husband. We are both working, and like different sports, but we make it work so we can be both happy.

Oct 2019
I saw a notification that Sacramento's only full time TT club is gunna re-open next week with the same restrictions as other joints (facemask, fewer tables, stay away from people, wash tables and hands, build a bonfire and chant... well, most of those anyway.

There are a lot of players itching to play, I bet it'll be crowded over there. Still dead over here on our side. Maybe 6 people show up. Not bad, but a completely different atmosphere.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Well, a building lease over here, even in the most run down part of the city can run anywhere from $10 - $20 a sq ft... and the club is at LEAST 20,000 sq ft total, then there is electric, water, sewer, gas, security, maintenance and other overhead... you are looking at $25k a month minimum to operate that space....

There is NO WAY that owner even on a good month with re-opening is gunna get but a fraction of that... nor will any other such business not names Costco, Home Depot, Lowes, or Merry-Jane Dispensary.

For a month, a large city sports complex (indoor soccer, indoor batting cages, ping pong, pickleball) charged $5 a person per day to use the facility... ONLY TT players showed up 95% of the paying people... and they would average maybe 15 different people a day... they were not running A?C despite mid 100s temps... and STILL that money they got from TT players wouldn't even pay for the electricity to run just the fan !!!

This shut down the nation stuff gunna put a lot of small and medium places out... which will affect a lot of employment... and the govts cannot forever overspend to toss a few pennies everyone's way forever. That gunna have a lot of bad effects and we will see it with TT clubs that do not get free or puny cost space soon enough.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
Last Tuesday, it was the first time since the reopen where it was a slot for all registered teams to train. Lots of people. Obviously everyone wanted to play again. Some of the elder players showed up with 3D printed masks, else it almost seemed like business as usual. There were some new rules for use of the facility but it seems to me most were not being enforced.

Oct 2019
The economy definitely is taking big hit and it'll take time for everyone to get back to normal. We have a small club in a small city, we are lucky to be open and we get by even after the mandatory quarantine.

But anyways, I was able to get in the club last night and here's the video. I need tips because I know I have big swings and I'm working on shorter strokes. I'm still standing up on most rallies, I can't seem to find the perfect positioning when I attack now. I always go forward with a receive and then attack. So many things to work on but I gotta take it one day at a time. But the reason why I'm sharing this is because I like doing chop smashes and I got on on clip (although it didn't count because the ball was wet). Anybody else does a chop smash like me? hehe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b7eRKeHeFc

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The economy definitely is taking big hit and it'll take time for everyone to get back to normal. We have a small club in a small city, we are lucky to be open and we get by even after the mandatory quarantine.

But anyways, I was able to get in the club last night and here's the video. I need tips because I know I have big swings and I'm working on shorter strokes. I'm still standing up on most rallies, I can't seem to find the perfect positioning when I attack now. I always go forward with a receive and then attack. So many things to work on but I gotta take it one day at a time. But the reason why I'm sharing this is because I like doing chop smashes and I got on on clip (although it didn't count because the ball was wet). Anybody else does a chop smash like me? hehe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b7eRKeHeFc

He is obviously too slow for you - it would be interesting to see what happened to your strokes against a player fast enough to put you under pressure.

Many of your strokes don't go into the ball towards the traditional finish position so that is what drives the extra length. You shorten the stroke when you get power coming in from him which is good, but if he brought the ball back better or gave you less time with better quality returns, it would be interesting to see where your technique ended up in rallies.

If you need your partner to give you a better challenge, get him to take lessons to play with more spin. He is playing too quickly to take advantage of his power.

Last edited:
Oct 2019
He is obviously too slow for you - it would be interesting to see what happened to your strokes against a player fast enough to put you under pressure.

Many of your strokes don't go into the ball towards the traditional finish position so that is what drives the extra length. You shorten the stroke when you get power coming in from him which is good, but if he brought the ball back better or gave you less time with better quality returns, it would be interesting to see where your technique ended up in rallies.

If you need your partner to give you a better challenge, get him to take lessons to play with more spin. He is playing too quickly to take advantage of his power.

Thanks for the advice! I've noticed before that when I play against better players, my recovery is too slow when I start the attack. And I end up being too close to the ball which is obviously not an advantage. I'm working on backing up a little so I would have time, and this will work with the wide swings I have. But backing up also means a lot of table to cover, so I have to choose my battles and adjust my playing style when necessary.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
Thanks for the wonderful share. You proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant. I love it reading.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
When you failed to make the play, say in Korean SHIN-BAL...

This would be a great joke. If you take the "N" out of SHIN and say that, it is a very vulgar Korean word guys ALL THE TIME will say...

... but if you have the "N" there... Shin-Bal means SHOE in English. (Quickly foot foot on edge of table and point at your shoe too, even more convincing) (if you do not do that, they will thing you are trying for the authentic vulgar word and mis-pronouncing it)(if you show your shoe and point at it, there will be no doubt you said shoe instead of the bad word)

Exaggerate the SHI part with a little longer time in the SH... like a full second instead of .1 seconds... it will sound so authentic... maybe say Ay-Eee in front of it... that isn't a word... it is kind of like saying Ah Man in English. It kinda strengthens what comes after.

So if you miss a shot that should have been a winner, you could say "Ay-Ee Shin-Bal" and present your shoe and point at it... that ought to crack up a Korean to be ROFLOL real good.

Jerry laugh.jpg
So basically, you would be making fun of the Korean guys and their instinctive vulgar response.

If this is coming from a foreigner, it would be such a riot.

Reactions: SkySowers and JeffM
This user has no status.
yet another TT YouTube Channel in Japan,
but its the one from my coach OYA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQRO3eMWwak

This video is so him...He's a joyful person and sweats and chooos whoever he is playing with !

Kenta Matsudaira and Maharu Yoshimura have also started their channel - a sign that they are considering to end their pro career soon and start coaching / thinking about their next step.

Reactions: ajtatosmano2
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I'm loving this thread! It's awesome to read all of your comments and it's encouraging to keep practicing. It is a training day for me today, currently working on me footwork because I seem to be dragging my right leg a lot now. And of course, I am much slower now after taking a break for 3.5 years due to 2 pregnancies. But now I'm trying to get back at it hard.

Here's a short clip of me, I noticed that I'm still not low enough and very late on recovery. I might have to back up a bit to have more movement. But please, any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIIgRIzhDuA

When you loop, try to turn your body more. You tilt your body to the left, while turning forward would make you more stable. :) You have a nice technique, I hope this will help you!

Reactions: SkySowers
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
yet another TT YouTube Channel in Japan,
but its the one from my coach OYA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQRO3eMWwak

This video is so him...He's a joyful person and sweats and chooos whoever he is playing with !

Kenta Matsudaira and Maharu Yoshimura have also started their channel - a sign that they are considering to end their pro career soon and start coaching / thinking about their next step.

I hope they wont. They are still young and pretty strong, even if they don't make that far in ITTF Tours.
I think Yoshimura is confirmed for Ryukyu Asteeda for the next season (Kazuhira as well).

This user has no status.
last wednesday i felt pain in my right knee while i was jogging. Today i didn't feel pain so i went to the TT club but quickly i could feel it again. I avoided moving a lot, but still I felt it was there.
Towards the end of the session we were playing some matches, and it started to get worse. Fortunately i won 2-0 (best of 3) but i would have quit if i hadnt won 2-0.

I'm looking on Amazon for a knee supporter but i have no idea which one to choose

there is this (high-end/expensive) brand ZAMST especially recommended for Badminton but quite popular
https://www.amazon.co.jp/stores/pag...8a71-1c1e-4e3a-b13d-921e0b1eb26a&ref_=ast_bln

or other stuff

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s?k=膝サポーター...DX9IXAWO&sprefix=膝,aps,243&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_1

some models have big holes, some small holes, some no holes...
which one should i choose ?

says regularly shitposting
says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019
last wednesday i felt pain in my right knee while i was jogging. Today i didn't feel pain so i went to the TT club but quickly i could feel it again. I avoided moving a lot, but still I felt it was there.
Towards the end of the session we were playing some matches, and it started to get worse. Fortunately i won 2-0 (best of 3) but i would have quit if i hadnt won 2-0.

I'm looking on Amazon for a knee supporter but i have no idea which one to choose

there is this (high-end/expensive) brand ZAMST especially recommended for Badminton but quite popular
https://www.amazon.co.jp/stores/pag...8a71-1c1e-4e3a-b13d-921e0b1eb26a&ref_=ast_bln

or other stuff

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s?k=膝サポーター...DX9IXAWO&sprefix=膝,aps,243&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_1

Any chance to go see a doctor first ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I’ve had a great week. So many training opportunities as my friends kids habe been away at training camps (some probably at the camp where Lula is coaching)! Training pretty much every day is a bit stressful to the body but I’m coping so far.

I had a funny moment last week. One of my training partners suffers from tennis elbow. Our Indian coach who considers himself a bit of a yogi examined her lower arm and then pressed on some kind of trigger point close to the elbow. She screamed like hell. I asked him to try the same on me and I almost fainted from the pain. Quite interesting as I have no issue with tennis elbow what so ever. He basically told me that it will happen to me soon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018

or other stuff

Hi, I've had persistent knee problems in the past. But doctor's opinion is that knee braces only shift your focus, doesn't help with injury prevention.

If you need to push through the pain and keep playing, get a bottle of Elmetacin spray. It's the only pain suppressant I found that doesn't numb or burn.