Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Was the floor too slippery for your shoes ? If so , try to use a wet paper towel to dip your toes in ... both Shuki's and Archo's comments are valid by the way . But it all depends on the current condition and muscle strength of your knee after your operation ... I would say just focus on swinging with your hips , less arm and focus on spin . I know you like hurricane , but it might be worthwhile to try something else to see if it helps you in generating more power without using so much arm ...

Unless the playing surface is an NHL ice rink, I find the slippery is from shoes that are too worn out. You really need a bunch of individual grip points that are physically separate to have good grip. When shoes are worn every day 6 months, usually, these individual points of contact are so worn down they dont bend independently or have worn down so the whole bottom of the shoe's surface is contacting the ground. That is real bad for traction - bald shoes have no grip on a wood floor.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
need more grip? try kailin oil, or falco on the rubber of your shoes. this will leave an oily residue that is extremely difficult to remove. Club members will be so frustrated with oil all over the floors they'll buy you new shoes. Boom! new shoes= more grip. You can thank me now.

Reactions: Archosaurus
says what [IMG]
need more grip? try kailin oil, or falco on the rubber of your shoes. this will leave an oily residue that is extremely difficult to remove. Club members will be so frustrated with oil all over the floors they'll buy you new shoes. Boom! new shoes= more grip. You can thank me now.

*Disclaimer: Please don't boost your shoes.

:p

Reactions: ajtatosmano2
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews

Jeff, I think you could benefitfrom keeping your elbow closer to your body on the backswing. Although Iunderstand that penhold does require some minor adjustments to the swing asopposed to shakehand.
Thanks Archo! I will keep that in mind the next time I do the multiball. When Iam tired, I think I try to compensate by bigger movement to still get the power,which actually doesn’t make sense.

left leg likes to chill in the same place when you stepforward. That'll be my one comment on something to work on.

Looks like you're improving btw! Keep up the good work!
Thanks Shuki for the encouragement. Yeah the left leg is the lazy one haha, Iwill try work on that.

You look way better than me!

Props and Respect!
Thanks OSP!

Was the floor too slippery for your shoes ? If so , tryto use a wet paper towel to dip your toes in ... both Shuki's and Archo'scomments are valid by the way . But it all depends on the current condition andmuscle strength of your knee after your operation ... I would say just focus onswinging with your hips , less arm and focus on spin . I know you likehurricane , but it might be worthwhile to try something else to see if it helpsyou in generating more power without using so much arm ...
That is a good point, I didn’t think of the floor and the grip of the shoes. Iwill try the wet towel next time. Thanks.

With the knee, I am aware that I will need to put morework into building up the muscles, but it will not be something I can fix in aday as I will need to carefully balance how much I can do with it while notflaring it up badly as well as preparing it ok for the comp in 3 wks time. Iwill probably consider the rubber after the comp. But yes, I will focus on thehip rotation more and use less of my arm. I need to get into my mind that I donot always need to swing the arm for more power.

Wait until he has to do combo drills involving steparound and quick crossover with explosive movement and swings... rubber legsand hokey pokey lungs here we come.

Haha I actually did went on to do combo drills and random drills afterwards. Iwon’t be posting videos of that as I am too unfit haha. But after the drills,in a normal rally, I do feel I have a bit more time to do each shot.

Last edited:
This user has no status.

A small fraction of the training yesterday.

I think that you can create more power, especially with that arm swing. When the ball is long you need to move into position with your right leg slightly further back then your left. Your right leg needs to be more bent when you arm is low, then when you move your arm forward your right leg can be used in your body rotation - more power is generated. Good job though, this is the first time I've seen you play so I can't comment on improvement. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffM
says what [IMG]
I didn't know you're injured, Jeff. I noticed you're not really transferring your weight from leg to leg: perhaps due to that. I think you've noticed, but your weight stays quite firmly on your right leg. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Now, I'm not telling you to go and hurt your knee by transferring weight onto it. I just noticed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Hey guys, help me with that question.

Hello everyone , I'm jean of Brazil . I started playing table tennis has a year and a half , I started Japanese penhold, tried to start shakehand , soon moved to Chinese penhold, then turned defense , returned to Chinese penhold and now want to go back defense again. You saw my problem? I just can not decide on a style of play. Could help me in this matter?

I have 1.88 of height, weight 75kg, 19 years. . I use a dhs hurricane , and Tenergy 05 .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think that you can create more power, especially with that arm swing. When the ball is long you need to move into position with your right leg slightly further back then your left. Your right leg needs to be more bent when you arm is low, then when you move your arm forward your right leg can be used in your body rotation - more power is generated. Good job though, this is the first time I've seen you play so I can't comment on improvement. :eek:

Hi, Sakumi. You may have done this elsewhere and I may have missed it but can you briefly discussed your playing history and current level? Generally, I think it is important for people to know the playing level and styles etc. of those giving them advice. Even more important if they have coached.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
left leg likes to chill in the same place when you step forward. That'll be my one comment on something to work on.

Looks like you're improving btw! Keep up the good work!

It's often proper technique for the left foot of a right hander to not move when they are moving into the table to play a forehand. It makes in and out movement more efficient.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Jeff, I think you could benefit from keeping your elbow closer to your body on the backswing. Although I understand that penhold does require some minor adjustments to the swing as opposed to shakehand.

For many people, that is neither here nor there. There are good arguments for both.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Was the floor too slippery for your shoes ? If so , try to use a wet paper towel to dip your toes in ... both Shuki's and Archo's comments are valid by the way . But it all depends on the current condition and muscle strength of your knee after your operation ... I would say just focus on swinging with your hips , less arm and focus on spin . I know you like hurricane , but it might be worthwhile to try something else to see if it helps you in generating more power without using so much arm ...

I think Archosaurus and Shuki made comments that are neither here nor there, but need to be placed in context of the specific situation. I agree on the Hurricane comment but it all depends on where JeffM wants to take his game. Most of Hurricanes advantages show up in the short game and at the level JeffM plays, short game is nonexistent.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
It's often proper technique for the left foot of a right hander to not move when they are moving into the table to play a forehand. It makes in and out movement more efficient.

I disagree with the way he's doing it. But I also disagree with the paddle leaving a player's sight, the way he gets it behind him on his forehands. You may think it's helping his "whip mechanics" but in my eyes it's wrong. We all have opinions on what the right way to play is, and none of us are more right than anyone else. What I don't like about the way his foot is stapled down, is that it looks pretty clear to me that he struggles to move much in rallies, he doesn't look prepared to move if there was the need to do so. I've noticed it in his other videos but thought it may have just been the specific drill he was working on.

there's a reason I almost never comment on what players should try to improve when it comes to their mechanics.

says what [IMG]
Well, NL has a point. Some things that Waldner did would give coaches grey hair.

I still believe that a shorter, more compact backswing by only moving the elbow closer would be beneficial. I think he is very prone to swing from the shoulder with the current method, and we need to consider how he will deal with a fast counterloop into his middle, or a punch block right back at his forehand. Even pretty low level players are capable of such things if they're used to playing against spin, so it's a concern.

Take what I say with a lot of salt, I'm a fairly low level player without coaching. I'm just sharing my own experiences, because my rally swing is very big for my height and I've had to really watch these things. You're free to disregard everything and correct whatever you feel isn't quite right.

Now for my day's chitchat:

Everyone played fantastically today. I slept a total of 3 hours and I don't think I've played better in my life. It could just be the sleep deprivation making me think so, but I'm not too sure. :p My loops are starting to get blocked back pretty fast, pretty low, and it's really developed my footwork and confidence in being able to consecutively loop many blocks and even some counterloops. Actually had some very respectable games today, alternating looping and blocking and having to move in and out when people dead-block my loops. Some guys I play with have good hands, and they can control my loops fairly well because I'm fairly predictable.

Now when some guys have really learned to put spin on the ball with enough racket head speed and the right touch, I've got a chance at improving my block, too. I can close the angle to 45 degrees and sometimes even more, and if I have soft hands and push forward a little, the ball will go over with quality. Before, it would just be a net, because there was no spin at all.

I'm sure it's not even 1300 level play, but it sure is dynamic.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Before arch gets his post picked to death I'd like to agree with him that a smaller stroke would make life a lot easier. Maybe not with elbow positioning, that's subjective. And I'm not saying Jeffs stroke is wrong, It's just not my cup of tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says what [IMG]
My post is free to get picked to death as much as anyone wants to.

I've seen Jeff's other videos, and I know he's a pretty decent player. Better than me for sure.

Look at Jeff's loop in this video. It's an entirely different shot I admit, but IMO that's great. It's clear he has good habits in place and he can do good swings. So I don't understand why he is seemingly over-swinging in the multiball session. It's clear he has the touch to spin decently and he can generate more power by twisting his hips and slightly extending his swing for normal shots.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Too many people move upper and lower arm together at impact. You won't get much whip if the upper arm and elbow do not nearly stop before I pact. This allows lower arm to move Forward, if loose before impact, you have leverage to accelerate it and use some wrist at the end.

This can still be done with a compact stroke. One needs to be relaxed loose and use leg to start it and a quick hip explosion.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk