Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
@zyu81

yeh it wasn't a good warmup as you say. Usually i run a bit, do shadow training or use a rope. I went to the table not ready physically or mentally and it shows up. the pre-match warmup itself with the opponent is very short as you can see and i failed to make the most of it and find the good sensations.

i lost the 1st game with many unforced errors. Ultimately i think i lost the match because of this 1st set.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
i will take courage from his testimony that he improved dramatically his serves (among other skills) in recent times

It will be a challenge for me. I have improved a lot of things, but serves is definitely where i have some catchup to do relatively to the rest and the low hanging fruit to improve my overall level.

I think i get the picture: get the feeling and understanding first, and then practice , a lot

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
i will take courage from his testimony that he improved dramatically his serves (among other skills) in recent times

It will be a challenge for me. I have improved a lot of things, but serves is definitely where i have some catchup to do relatively to the rest and the low hanging fruit to improve my overall level.

I think i get the picture: get the feeling and understanding first, and then practice , a lot

You have good coaches but I would recommend a serving course - I found both the TTD Par Gerell material and all the TTEdge material to be really helpful.

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi,

last weekend I had my first playing / training session since lockdown started at the end of March in the UK
Weather in the UK especially the south and London has been very hot (as far as us Brits are concerned) 30 to 36 degrees and humid with it.

COVID protocols were use of hand sanitiser before, during and at end of session, 2m rule (social distancing) no changing ends, each player was given a sanitised ball with a number on it, you weren’t allowed to pick up another players ball !!! Took a bit of getting used to at first, just remembering not to pick up the ball unless it was yours!! Table and barriers were pre set up sanitised, and left up at end of session for the cleaners to sanitise again.

in typical British manner, the session was set for Sunday 13.45 to 15.55, talk about mad dogs and Englishmen going out in the midday sun!!!!
my partner was Colm, a young lad just about to go off to Uni so 18ish yrs old, better standard player than me, but rusty after the lockdown stoppage. I filled in a couple of times in the league side he plays for which is 2 divisions higher than the team I play for.
Given some really good routines to go through, then we played 7 rubbers, I lost 5-2 but 3 of the 5 lost games were close 11-9 12-10 etc 2 were white washes game 4/5. We managed to last until 15.40, then had to stop, both had nothing left in the tank! (Especially me!!!!)
My Back held up ok, but later in the evening the sciatica kicked in !!! Seeing the Physio tomorrow so hopefully in a week or so the issue should be sorted out.

it was great to be able to actually play again with other people.
Things look like league play may start again in September, but the ‘R’ rate is starting to rise again and is now just under 1, if it keeps rising then there’s a chance that league play may be put back.

Anyway, tying in with Takkyu’s post, I watched a tutorial with subtitles about the YG (reverse FH pendulum serve) Think it’s WRM-TV, this was a really good video, the skill involved when Hamakawa-san did a special topspin version, when he contacts the ball on the way back, was awesome!!!! He does a standard topspin version as well.
really enjoyed this video!!!!
I would really like to watch more of their videos with English subtitles as they seem very informative but I can’t find many with subtitles.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
i'm sure they are, but there are really tons of free high quality serve videos in Japanese, including one series done by a coach that i see much less these days, but still from time to time, and he's an excellent server.
so i don't feel like paying even if its Par Gerell
I can't argue with free and I don't speak Japanese. But as Der Echte pointed out, there is a difference between someone teaching you a serve by showing the serve to you and someone teaching you a serve by taking you a process that enables you to develop a strong service action by following the steps presented. Most serve tutorials do the former so players learning to serve spend too much time serving at the table, rather than serving on the floor, bed etc. This may not apply to you, but it applies to a lot of players I know who are learning how to serve.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I can't argue with free and I don't speak Japanese. But as Der Echte pointed out, there is a difference between someone teaching you a serve by showing the serve to you and someone teaching you a serve by taking you a process that enables you to develop a strong service action by following the steps presented. Most serve tutorials do the former so players learning to serve spend too much time serving at the table, rather than serving on the floor, bed etc. This may not apply to you, but it applies to a lot of players I know who are learning how to serve.

This is a great post. To add on to it, with Brett, he comes up with really creative ways of getting you to work on the motion, the action that gets your wrist to generate that speed and whipping action that really helps increase the amount of spin you can get on the serves for the times when you show your opponents maximum spin to make your lower spin deception give you more easy balls. So, yeah, Brett really sets up a step by step process for learning and improving the serves, really, from the ground up.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
last weekend I had my first playing / training session since lockdown started at the end of March in the UK
Weather in the UK especially the south and London has been very hot (as far as us Brits are concerned) 30 to 36 degrees and humid with it.

Hopefully, soon, we will get to see some footage of your game. I am looking forward to that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Decided to finally change my rubbers despite not playing frequently, as the top sheets of rozena and H3 neo feels worn out. Really wanted to do a better job at making a clean cut, watched some videos which suggested having the box cutter angled closer to horizontal rather than diagonal, but still wasn't able to do a great job. The top sheet itself is smooth, but the sponge section is quite rough with irregular pieces protruding.

Anyway, I proceeded to play immediately after the change of rubbers. I cannot do my short backspin serves anymore, as the rubber just feels so different, despite both being the H3 neo province.
I changed my backhand rubber from rozena to tenergy 05. It feels 'cleaner', but I will need some practice to get it better controlled.

Still had loads of fun despite completely not used to the new rubbers.
Sometimes TT is meant for fun and to create points with laughter rather than simply victory.

Here is a short clip featuring a highlight point from each of us. I also took some time to experiment with the video editing. Didn't realize it takes so much effort to make those effects, this exercise made me much more appreciative of video animations.

Reactions: NextLevel
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hopefully, soon, we will get to see some footage of your game. I am looking forward to that.

Right, I have MP4 footage taken today :)
Now all I have to do is get it on here, which for a total techno retard like me is proving problematic :mad:
Don’t think this format (MP4) supported in the manage attachments options.
so how can I get it attached to the post? Working from an iPad

cheers.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This time link attached!!

Nice. I embedded the video in the quote so people can see from here if they want.

Nice disciplined approach to working on serves and good touch on the ball which gets you some nice spin. Good work.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Nice. I embedded the video in the quote so people can see from here if they want.

Nice disciplined approach to working on serves and good touch on the ball which gets you some nice spin. Good work.

Cheers Carl,
These are new serves for me, never used them until I started playing again 20 months ago, and really it’s over the last 6 months that I’ve started to try them, with last 3 months or so practicing on a table, so work in progress, no fake motion yet, some days are better than others!!!
about to up load a couple more vids, FH BH, and FH only, messy, quite a few errors!!! Not pretty!!
The kids were ribbing me, saying the only weight transfer I’m any good at is from my mouth to fat arse!!! And that during lockdown I ate all the pies!!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl