Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
It would seem muscles and velocity is what is needed most but IMHO the most difficult thing is to retrain the brain and chase the bad habits. We actually do have time to do all this. But we need to convince ourselves we do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByukUwAQrQg

So, not only do THEY look fast, they are in fact even faster, if they are post-poning the backswing... I want to be faster. I want to be Bubba-fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb3UrJjAac4

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
an excerpt from today's session with my coach, unedited
its the last 15mns of a 2h session
in the first part, free balls, but i always serve short
in the 2nd part, we play 2 quick sets.

my BH is getting stronger. but my in/out footwork is still way too slow. I'm working a lot on it, but i was a bit lacking focus on it today and it shows a lot.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If I am lucky, a stash of FX-S coming in by my next scheduled hit Monday. Nexy Korea President Moon is tossing in sample of Nexy's new rubber ETIKA, which is touted as juicier than Tenergy.

I would hope this rubber is no more than 47 degree sponge. I am not great with rubbers harder than that.

I guess I will find out for myself soon enough and make a thread.

This rubber should hit market in 2021 date unknown. In final prototype.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

If I am lucky, a stash of FX-S coming in by my next scheduled hit Monday. Nexy Korea President Moon is tossing in sample of Nexy's new rubber ETIKA, which is touted as juicier than Tenergy.

I would hope this rubber is no more than 47 degree sponge. I am not great with rubbers harder than that.

I guess I will find out for myself soon enough and make a thread.

This rubber should hit market in 2021 date unknown. In final prototype.

What that "Etika" stands for?
Play polite?

I'd be interested in a "Humiliator" version.

an excerpt from today's session with my coach, unedited
its the last 15mns of a 2h session
in the first part, free balls, but i always serve short
in the 2nd part, we play 2 quick sets.

my BH is getting stronger. but my in/out footwork is still way too slow. I'm working a lot on it, but i was a bit lacking focus on it today and it shows a lot.

That's OK.

Your coach seems a bit loose.

Very nice hall.

Wooden floor? 15 mm table boards? How do you feel the combination of these?

Langel,

Nexy Korea President ALWAYS makes the names of his products from ancient times, like old Greece or whatever.

Of course, I see that, Etika is a good example.
I just don't find its integration with TT rubbers.
Thats why I"d prefer "Humiliator".

If you find "Humiliator" to be more contemporary, then make it "Humiliate", its the same in latin.

Or, instead, for closer to "Etika" -"Humilitatem", from latin is "modesty, moderation, restraint, humility, temperance, guardedness, probity, honesty, uprightness, virtue, integrity, humility".

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016

That's OK.

Your coach seems a bit loose.

Very nice hall.

Wooden floor? 15 mm table boards? How do you feel the combination of these?

hi Angel
not sure what you mean by the coach being loose (i'm not a native english speaker)

regarding the hall
the floor is not wooden its some kind of synthetic material, its quite hard, and i guess specially designed for TT or such sports.
it helps to avoid slipping.

i prefer those 15mm tables, they are new and the bounce is faster and balls lose less spin after they bounce. I prefer to play on those tables rather than the older (and thicker) ones you can see on the vid.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
At least in NYC, if you do a search for that word, you get a bunch of information about a famous YouTuber who committed suicide.

I actually did that and there was a solid 5 pages of nothing but that dude.

WAY down at the bottom of this mamoth Korean Blog post is the English that Oscar conveys about Atika. It is too long and inappropriate to copy/paste in this post of this thread, whcih is simply for talking about what is happening with us in TT today.

https://m.blog.naver.com/defunct/222097680923

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Of course, I see that, Etika is a good example.
I just don't find its integration with TT rubbers.
Thats why I"d prefer "Humiliator".

If you find "Humiliator" to be more contemporary, then make it "Humiliate", its the same in latin.

Or, instead, for closer to "Etika" -"Humilitatem", from latin is "modesty, moderation, restraint, humility, temperance, guardedness, probity, honesty, uprightness, virtue, integrity, humility".

Reminds you of good ole Dr. Neubauer and some of hiz names for rubbers...

Last edited:
Reactions: langel
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Hi Takkyu,

It is a VERY OLD TRICK by many very old men to get you to do this on BH and get easy points.

Generally, the old dude will give a ball real short and dead and low enough for you to move in and push... you usually push long and a little fast. All od dude does is push it fast off the bounce to your BH and watch you flail hopelessly at that... you are not in a position of leverage and the attack is almost always a fail... yet the player will fall for that trick 5-55 times in a row.

Even worse is when old dude pushes it fast off the bonce non-chalantly to your body... where you REALLY have to move out of the way then attack... you have even less time and the attack is even more of a fail if you do not trip over yourself.

I see your coach doing this to you a LOT in you vid clip of your training. He is looking like he is to lazy, but he is still there and early off the bounce.

So many old dudes get so many free points vs younger Ma Long wannabe players who are just dying to attack everything that comes long. When you actually wake up and stop falling for that trick by just pushing it back, the old dude switches gears and pushes another time or two to your BH and when you refuse to attack, he will suddenly push fast to wide FH and watch you trip over self and make a 2 meter crater in the floor trying to get to that ball and fail. Sometimes will push DEAD spin at your body, you pop it up, they pick hit for a winner and let out a geezer Cho. The stuff of legends.

The way to handle them is to put paddle next to ball and push it back low off the bounce... then loop the second push (when you are in better position) with heavy spin, just go down and up. They really hate on that. Then later, you do the same thing to them, serve very short and dead and either pound the loose return or push it right at theeir body or BH... then heavy spin slow loop the push, IF the ball comes back.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Hi Takkyu,

It is a VERY OLD TRICK by many very old men to get you to do this on BH and get easy points.

Generally, the old dude will give a ball real short and dead and low enough for you to move in and push... you usually push long and a little fast. All od dude does is push it fast off the bounce to your BH and watch you flail hopelessly at that... you are not in a position of leverage and the attack is almost always a fail... yet the player will fall for that trick 5-55 times in a row.

Even worse is when old dude pushes it fast off the bonce non-chalantly to your body... where you REALLY have to move out of the way then attack... you have even less time and the attack is even more of a fail if you do not trip over yourself.

I see your coach doing this to you a LOT in you vid clip of your training. He is looking like he is to lazy, but he is still there and early off the bounce.

So many old dudes get so many free points vs younger Ma Long wannabe players who are just dying to attack everything that comes long. When you actually wake up and stop falling for that trick by just pushing it back, the old dude switches gears and pushes another time or two to your BH and when you refuse to attack, he will suddenly push fast to wide FH and watch you trip over self and make a 2 meter crater in the floor trying to get to that ball and fail. Sometimes will push DEAD spin at your body, you pop it up, they pick hit for a winner and let out a geezer Cho. The stuff of legends.

The way to handle them is to put paddle next to ball and push it back low off the bounce... then loop the second push (when you are in better position) with heavy spin, just go down and up. They really hate on that. Then later, you do the same thing to them, serve very short and dead and either pound the loose return or push it right at theeir body or BH... then heavy spin slow loop the push, IF the ball comes back.

Hey Der Echte thank you for your comments and your keen observations.

on the French forum, some commenters said the coach was lazy but i don't agree with them. Yes, he's taking the ball early and making quality short pushes or long pushes. the fact that my serve quality is so so on average makes it also more difficult for me to know what i'm going to get back next.

I remember playing a tournament a few years ago against a higher level dude which was doing about the same quality of receives seen in that video and i was totally lost at the time. A real nightmare. I hope i'd do better today if we played again.

the first part of the video is a drill, so yes, i'm an OLDER Ma Long wannabee and trying on purpose to loop everything which is long (and ideally flick everything which is short !) . I'm trying to improve my footwork and do a lot of these drills, sometimes with multiball. tbh i had much less good sensations than 1 or 2 weeks ago with my general condition off its local peak and i find myself really slow yesterday even more than usual. On the other hand my BH was a bit more consistent than last week, good for the video.

I agree with you that pushing is a very underrated aspect of training and TT. I always do 5 to 10 minutes of pushes during every session and it was no exception yesterday. You can notice also thats its part of the drill that i push long if he receives short. So i'm definitely trying to get better at pushes as well.

Ofc in matchplay i should listen to your advice and don't hesitate to push more often than i do on this video, which is something i sometimes forget. but not always like at 1:25 or 6:19

As for pushes i actually think its one of the area i've really improved especially in receiving v short serves. As reported, i had a tournament 2 weeks ago against stronger players and the quality of my receive more often than not prevented them to attack directly the 3rd ball and that levelled the field a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: wheelbuilder

hi Angel
not sure what you mean by the coach being loose (i'm not a native english speaker)

regarding the hall
the floor is not wooden its some kind of synthetic material, its quite hard, and i guess specially designed for TT or such sports.
it helps to avoid slipping.

i prefer those 15mm tables, they are new and the bounce is faster and balls lose less spin after they bounce. I prefer to play on those tables rather than the older (and thicker) ones you can see on the vid.

The floor cover is ok, but from the sound of foot hits and the responding camera shake I think that the floor is wooden beneath the cover.
Or maybe I'm wrong.
Anyway the hall is very good.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

hi Angel

Don't worry, Langel is not a native English speaker either. I am and I am not really sure what Langel means either. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi