Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
I didn't get the results I wanted in the tourney.

Vs 2200+ lost 0-3 was only competitive in small stretches.
Vs Mid 2100s lost 1-3 had chances in every game
vs mid 2100s lost 0-3 he played me before and I was totally unfit by the time this match happened
vs 1800s under rated bomber won 3-0 had to really take charge and attack first, this guy is a real crusher. I showed my level in this match, but there will not be a ratings gain to get on Sergey's team after this tourney.

I will need to lose another 30 lbs to be able to sustain a crouch in a match and throughout match day.

Overall, I got the expected results... how I player was very encouraging vs the lower rated and one of the higher rated. I gotta drop wieght so I can stay crouched and play the explosive offensive style I have settled on.

it is reall hard to loose weight if you get older,i mean i am not that old but i have the same problem with the stance.
And hope you have no back problems etc after the tourney and in general.
well 1:3 looks like a very good match even though today its the Win or Bust mentality.
Hope you had a blast in the Tourney!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi Harold,

I rarely have lower back pain, despite being heavier than a real bear. I DO use a LOT of explosion with a SHORT HIP and when I train with one of the Pastors I work with, I end up in a lot of open rally practice with very powerful ball striking and movement. That puts a lot of stress on a small muscle high on the side/back of my hip. I always wear this one out and it takes days or a week to recover, but I am always playing more TT or tennis and it never really fully recovers... even if it does, I wear it right back out.

Of course, I could just play for way less time each session... but then there is less fun. It is always a balance and decision I have to make.

As for fun at the tourney, of course it was a blast. I meet more and more people. I even had a 5 minute conversation with 888 TTC's head coach Jeorg Bitzigeigo (in German) He was coaching the A player in my group, so I started a quick talk with him, I let him know I lived in Germany before and try always to keep remembering my German. I took condensed semester courses (4 of them) at University Maryland on the Kasserne back in the early 90s. Took six months. I haven't lived in Germany for almost 20 years, so I SHOULD have forgotten about everything, but I remember most.

Against the C player in my group (A highly under rated 2 wing CRUSHER) I got to spin heavy and shout out (just only once) my favorite Hwae-Joen Jo-Ah and Hwak-Shilli Chookio. (Good Spin, Kill that sucker) (The ball)

So, I got to see friends I already know and talk to several others. I coached one player who recently started TT lessons with me. HE lost matches he was expected to win (by rating), but I expected him to lose most or all and struggle vs the pro-trained kids with more solid fundamentals under tourney conditions. When you are working to improve certain aspects (if not all your fundamentals) it is a huge transition time and when you try to use that in a tourney match under pressure, it is natural to play even worse than the previous state. I explained that will happen now and into the future, but he will get more and more increasing confidence when he sees more and more shots land and see higher quality in practice... then later see this in easy matches... then see it in league matches... then struggle then improve in tourney matches.

This user has no status.
Foremost great you have no pain which you can´t bear,I wear sport sleeves nowadays those from Dirk Nowitzki called "Bauerfeind",
They help,reallyhad some of Under Armour be4,but those are not that good at least for me.(no medical advice,just something to keep in mind)
Sounds like you had a great time,and were not really frustrated with the Competition,which when you are overeager kills the Joy.
Yeah 20 Years is a lot of time,i had French for several years back then,but i doubt i can´t get a full french conversation together nowadays:)
Well its ok ,if you loose to better players altough it kinda s.... to loose.
But great that you give your knwoledge to the young gerneration and tbh. great that some Youngsters play this beautiful Sport.
Cause we in Germany had really problems to get People back to play,altough now "after Covid" i hear that a lot of players come back,as I did,and play again.
Some only play on Stonetables outside etc..but that keeps me hoping that it will tick upwards again.
Great to read some of your Stories and hope to read some more in the future.

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2019
I played table tennis after years. We had an event to introduce the FastPong system to the YouTubers in Seoul, South Korea and after that, we played some games. I had back pain for a week. I had a very strange feeling of being shy and happy because i knew how I have to hit the ball right but I couldn't do it right and that make me feel so bad at the same time I was happy to be back.
My blade is kind of very old even I changed my forehand rubber but it's just very bad. I think I need to change my blad because it's for almost 15 years ago. When I use other people's rackets I just feel so much better and I could perform at least 40% better.

To see the game just watch from minutes 4.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi Amir, Mr. CEO, I saw your vid on FB. I knew you were going to be rusty and not perform as well vs the trained players, so I wasn't expecting elite championship performance from you. No shame at all.

A guy I am teaching/coaching might like your fast pong system if I can show it to him. How much will it cost to ship to California?

Who is the tall beautiful fashion model young lady taking all the pics in your vid?

• Haha
Reactions: FastPong and LDM7
Hi Amir, Mr. CEO, I saw your vid on FB. I knew you were going to be rusty and not perform as well vs the trained players, so I wasn't expecting elite championship performance from you. No shame at all.

A guy I am teaching/coaching might like your fast pong system if I can show it to him. How much will it cost to ship to California?

Who is the tall beautiful fashion model young lady taking all the pics in your vid?

easy tiger ... "the tall & beautiful" is in S Korea & you are mxxxxxd

this fast pong system looks FUN & CooL to train on, I like it 💪

maybe we should be the exclusive dealer for the Americas !!

• Love
Reactions: FastPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2019

Hello Mr. William, how are you doing? Yeah, it was very strange to play after a while. I think the first thing I must do is just get a new blade and rubber haha

Oh, that's nice, for sure. Can get the system from our website. www.fastpong.com | The price of the system is $2,220 USD and the shipping is around $150USD to the US. But your student can use this promotion code "usa2022" on our website to get free delivery and more than a $400USD discount ($1,790 USD in total). The promotion is valid until coming Sunday.

Yeah~~ I just told her 😂 hahah~~ she is very happy to hear your compliment 😉 she is our colleague from Italy but unfortunately, she is leaving us for Italy by end of the month.

Please let me know when you visit Seoul again.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I may visit in late 2022 or early 2023 now that you can play TT indoors without a mask. Nearly impossible to see ball properly or breath in those masks that do zero to stop covid... but there is off and on yellow dust in Korea, sometimes real bad... and those Korean masks stop a LOT of that crap from getting in your lungs. So there is that.

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
It has been five weeks since my last coaching session. This means I have missed five lessons in a row. Busy with work and vacation related matters. Today came back to coaching after a long hiatus. Hence I will pen down some thoughts, like a dear diary kind of entry.

Usual warm up FH and BH. Coach will always check these two basics before he proceed to other matter, After being satisfied, he said something that was not said before.

He said, "Gozo, it is time to take your FH to a next level. By next level I mean I want you to shorten your stroke. I do not want you to take your usual big back swing to do your FH stroke. I want you to shorten it by half. Now with this shortened stroke you must really engage your core. Your power must come from your legs and your core and your wrist. Remember that"

With this we I tried his new style of FH. It is darn tiring, I have to hit it with the same power as before without the massive back swing. To up the ante, I can tell coach block with more active stroke. His rebound is coming back faster than usual. If I were to go back to my old habit of taking a long back swing, I will most likely miss the ball. However, if I were to follow his instruction to use legs plus core plus wrist, then my FH is fast, has a very low trajectory, just skimming over the net by a few centimetres.

I guess, when I am still a noob, taking a long back swing for FH is allowable and coach gave me passive block to assist me with that. As I move to more advance level, he is increasing the difficulty level.

Oh! On the BH side is also the same, he wants me to shorten the strokes as well. However, BH side is not an issue as I started as a blank piece of white paper on my BH and my BH was exactly what he wanted since day 1. My BH is those rapid fire 1st position off the bounce topspin type stroke. No issue there. I was already familiar with this since day 1.

After that we did the usual random drill for a while i.e., FH x BH topspin without any prior agreed pattern. I am surprised I am able to hit back a high percentage of the ball even though I had missed five weeks of lessons. I guess, my body did retain some muscle memory.

For the final last one hour of the lesson, we came to the gist of my training i.e., serve and 3rd ball attack. I told him in my casual game I am getting my points mostly from my FH loop. So he asked me to serve the conventional pendulum from my BH corner and he will return my serves. The term & condition imposed is that no matter where the ball is returned be it FH or BH side, I have to use my FH to attack. I cannot push or cut the ball. I can only loop or drive the ball and rally with my coach until one of us gets the point. To make it fair play, my coach did only return out of table balls for me, i.e., no drop shot or double bounce short ball from him. This was a very good simulation of actual game play and I love this drill a lot.

If the ball comes to my BH side, then I must pivot and either loop / drive the ball back, depending on the type of spin the ball carries. When my coach blocks, then I must be ready to step over to the FH side to return his balls. All in all, very happy with my lesson today and I can feel the progress that I have made over this seven months of proper coaching. Happy to say, I make less mistake too.

Thank you for reading. Stay happy and keep'em pongin'.

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I may visit in late 2022 or early 2023 now that you can play TT indoors without a mask. Nearly impossible to see ball properly or breath in those masks that do zero to stop covid... but there is off and on yellow dust in Korea, sometimes real bad... and those Korean masks stop a LOT of that crap from getting in your lungs. So there is that.

I still remember when the anti mask crowd was screaming how people will die by wearing masks for too long.
my first thought was, hmm.. Asians wearing masks whole day... is it 10 years or 20 years now or longer?
The air is so bad in so many places, or when riding a scooter, masks is the only thing protecting you from lung cancer.

I ask a surgeon friend of mine, what is the longest you went on the trot, 16 hours.... and he didn't run out of oxygen?

But sport and mask on is REALLY tough.
I still use mask, as I want to protect my young kids.
If I am just feeding multiball, it isn't that bad.

But if I do play, I will change a new mask every 20 or 30 mins, because I sweat a lot and when those 3 ply goes wet, it is really unbreathable.
so 3 hours of play, I would use about 5-6 masks.
I also use a mask support frame, so the mask isn't flat on my mouth.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
It has been five weeks since my last coaching session. This means I have missed five lessons in a row. Busy with work and vacation related matters. Today came back to coaching after a long hiatus. Hence I will pen down some thoughts, like a dear diary kind of entry.

Usual warm up FH and BH. Coach will always check these two basics before he proceed to other matter, After being satisfied, he said something that was not said before.

He said, "Gozo, it is time to take your FH to a next level. By next level I mean I want you to shorten your stroke. I do not want you to take your usual big back swing to do your FH stroke. I want you to shorten it by half. Now with this shortened stroke you must really engage your core. Your power must come from your legs and your core and your wrist. Remember that"

With this we I tried his new style of FH. It is darn tiring, I have to hit it with the same power as before without the massive back swing. To up the ante, I can tell coach block with more active stroke. His rebound is coming back faster than usual. If I were to go back to my old habit of taking a long back swing, I will most likely miss the ball. However, if I were to follow his instruction to use legs plus core plus wrist, then my FH is fast, has a very low trajectory, just skimming over the net by a few centimetres.

I guess, when I am still a noob, taking a long back swing for FH is allowable and coach gave me passive block to assist me with that. As I move to more advance level, he is increasing the difficulty level.

Oh! On the BH side is also the same, he wants me to shorten the strokes as well. However, BH side is not an issue as I started as a blank piece of white paper on my BH and my BH was exactly what he wanted since day 1. My BH is those rapid fire 1st position off the bounce topspin type stroke. No issue there. I was already familiar with this since day 1.

After that we did the usual random drill for a while i.e., FH x BH topspin without any prior agreed pattern. I am surprised I am able to hit back a high percentage of the ball even though I had missed five weeks of lessons. I guess, my body did retain some muscle memory.

For the final last one hour of the lesson, we came to the gist of my training i.e., serve and 3rd ball attack. I told him in my casual game I am getting my points mostly from my FH loop. So he asked me to serve the conventional pendulum from my BH corner and he will return my serves. The term & condition imposed is that no matter where the ball is returned be it FH or BH side, I have to use my FH to attack. I cannot push or cut the ball. I can only loop or drive the ball and rally with my coach until one of us gets the point. To make it fair play, my coach did only return out of table balls for me, i.e., no drop shot or double bounce short ball from him. This was a very good simulation of actual game play and I love this drill a lot.

If the ball comes to my BH side, then I must pivot and either loop / drive the ball back, depending on the type of spin the ball carries. When my coach blocks, then I must be ready to step over to the FH side to return his balls. All in all, very happy with my lesson today and I can feel the progress that I have made over this seven months of proper coaching. Happy to say, I make less mistake too.

Thank you for reading. Stay happy and keep'em pongin'.

5 weeks, your bat must be full of spider webs!

I see your situation quite often back in South Africa.

You think a bigger back swing is the key, but in rallies, you won't have time for bigger back swing.
This is where fixing the "swing only" to full body movement becomes challenging in Adult learners.

Let me give some videos of a close up (can't get really close than that) of 2 of Lin Yunju's practice partner.
The lefty travels with Lin and is one of the reasons why Lin has great record against lefties this year.

Try and focus on his left feet.
When he is backswing waiting for the ball, you an see the amount of energy absorbing in that left feet.
That back swing is really just to open up the angle for that energy to be absorbed in that feet.
and when the release goes, so how much energy he is hitting out? energy from the body carries into the arm, and not based on arm swing energy.

Mar 2021
I have forgotten to add. Coach was trying to teach me that after serve, I have to take a small jump / skip backwards ( half a step ) and then ready to pivot for a FH stroke be it at my BH corner or FH corner.

It is easier said than done. Even though my brain says jump / skip back a little, my legs won't budge after serving. I just stood there and looked at my beautiful serves. It took me about 15 - 20 mins for my aging brain network to program this new strange movement. It seems my neurons took around this amount of time to make the necessary connection to my motor system.

After that I was smoother and I am able to pivot more naturally and hit those nice FH from my BH corner.

NB: In the process of learning TT, I am getting to know my body better. Just some musing for today.

This user has no status.
I need to lose weight, i don't know why or how i gained almost 10KG since last 2 years ago, and i don't know how i will lose that in no time, although i didn't eat more at all in those two years, and i didn't stop moving, but maybe i became more lazy, it could be that i became lazy because i gained weight or i gained weight after i became lazy, and in any case i became much slower in movements and reactions too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hello everyone and a good evening,

Below are some short video of my training tonight.

Vid No. 1: FH warm-up
Vid No. 2: FH warm-up 2
Vid No. 3: FH loop from BH corner
Vid No. 4: Random Multi-ball drill 1
Vid No. 5: Random Multi-ball drill 2

Good videos - your forehand technical base is now better than your backhand's technical base - your preparation with the left foot is pretty strong - to bridge the gap, you need to recover better after the shot and learn to use your legs and a slight squat/lean to drive the backhand as well. That will improve your footwork for both shots and make the transitions more seamless. Good work.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl