Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Hello there!

I'm new around here :)

I really enjoyed the discussion about composite vs all wood blades in regards to the players rating. Probably something I needed to hear, as I bought myself a TBS with a 1300 rating.

After a few months I switched to a Butterfly Primo all wood blade and I think I improved. I using the word think here, as I bought it off season.

On the FH I also switched from far too hard rubbers (Andro Powergrip 2.0mm -> Donic Bluefire JP02 -> 2.0mm) to a Donic Bluefire M2 max.

Do you think that rubber is still too hard for my rating? I'm contemplating to try a M3, but that could be the EJ virus talking :)

Also another question: does anyone have a solution on how I could record myself with my smartphone while playing? Do you guys just put it on an adjacent table or what do you use for recording your videos?

1300 TTR? This is around 1800 USATT, if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hello there!

I really enjoyed the discussion about composite vs all wood blades in regards to the players rating. Probably something I needed to hear, as I bought myself a TBS with a 1300 rating.

After a few months I switched to a Butterfly Primo all wood blade and I think I improved. I using the word think here, as I bought it off season.

On the FH I also switched from far too hard rubbers (Andro Powergrip 2.0mm -> Donic Bluefire JP02 -> 2.0mm) to a Donic Bluefire M2 max.

Do you think that rubber is still too hard for my rating? I'm contemplating to try a M3, but that could be the EJ virus talking :)

Also another question: does anyone have a solution on how I could record myself with my smartphone while playing? Do you guys just put it on an adjacent table or what do you use for recording your videos?

German rating is different from USATT. It's not so much about the rating but having a feeling for the ball. If your blade does not promote your feeling for the ball, you will try to hit the ball the same way all the time. In general, the contrast in feeling between a good stroke and a bad stroke is highest when you use a slower blade so the feedback can amplify your learning. TBS is not a bad blade, but it will reward someone with good feeling already, not someone trying to learn it.

For the camera, try to buy a stand for the phone. They sell many tripods for good smartphones these days.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hello there!

Hey there and welcome to the forum :)

I also record with my smartphone and atm i am using sunglasses as a stand :p
However i am going to buy some kind of tripod soon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Looking at Carl's and NextLevel's suggestions, I decided to buy a SPW. While I do have offensive S, frankly the FL handle on it is pretty uncomfortable. Most probably I'll get used to it after a month or two.

As for the rubbers, it would be a waste not to use the tenergys while they're still good. Debating between Rakza 7 or Omega V Pro for it later on, but that's a decision to make in another 3 or 4 months

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Looking at Carl's and NextLevel's suggestions, I decided to buy a SPW. While I do have offensive S, frankly the FL handle on it is pretty uncomfortable. Most probably I'll get used to it after a month or two.

As for the rubbers, it would be a waste not to use the tenergys while they're still good. Debating between Rakza 7 or Omega V Pro for it later on, but that's a decision to make in another 3 or 4 months

SPW is fast so you will still need to focus on getting spin. But it is better than a composite for learning to hit the ball properly.

Reactions: laistrogian
Here you go... no editing, sorry. Still working on my loop. A couple of matches on my channel as well.

NextLevel if you let me make a comment over a detail I've noticed about your stroke, I think you can make it easier to your arms if you let your waist work together more intensively generating a greater part of the power. Your arms seems to be doing most of the work.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
NextLevel if you let me make a comment over a detail I've noticed about your stroke, I think you can make it easier to your arms if you let your waist work together more intensively generating a greater part of the power. Your arms seems to be doing most of the work.

You are fairly new to the forum so you probably missed the information that NextLevel has Rheumatoid Arthritis (look it up if you don't know what it is because it is very different from Osteoarthritis) and there are certain things his knees won't let him do.

The fact that NextLevel has gotten to the level he has, 1950-2050 (USATT rating) in 4 years as an adult is pretty impressive in itself. If you add that he has rheumatoid arthritis and has done that, it is even more impressive. Trust me, the video does not give you an idea about how powerful and accurate his shots are.

I'd be scared if his knees allowed the core rotation and weight transfer to be added to his stroke more fully. I think those shots might blast holes in people's rackets. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

This is my power stroke for a weaker ball. It will always look like the arms are doing most of the work on this stroke and it will look even worse since I can't bend my knees and rotate my core easily - you will notice that I do rotate it a little but not enough.

I find it easier to rotate my core when going for less power. But in any case, I saw this video today and looking at Schlager's technique, other than my inability to bend my knees, I was inspired and realized that there is nothing wrong with my approach.

https://youtu.be/NzSXm-aBUkg?t=109

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
As they say .. long arms .. big core :p
This is my power stroke for a weaker ball. It will always look like the arms are doing most of the work on this stroke and it will look even worse since I can't bend my knees and rotate my core easily - you will notice that I do rotate it a little but not enough.

I find it easier to rotate my core when going for less power. But in any case, I saw this video today and looking at Schlager's technique, other than my inability to bend my knees, I was inspired and realized that there is nothing wrong with my approach.

Reactions: NextLevel

I didn't know about your knee condition. I have myself a torn meniscus that restricts my mobility somewhat so I know pretty well what these things are all about and I gave you that tip because I had some shoulder pain in the past caused by the same kind of swing when my knees were worst.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I didn't know about your knee condition. I have myself a torn meniscus that restricts my mobility somewhat so I know pretty well what these things are all about and I gave you that tip because I had some shoulder pain in the past caused by the same kind of swing when my knees were worst.

Oh, I have shoulder pain just because I have rheumatoid arthritis. I know it is not my really swing because my left shoulder has the same issues, as do my elbows and my wrists. I have accepted it as a fact of life. I could of course swing slower and and rally more and sometimes I do. But I appreciate the concern. I make sure I rotate a little because even a little is very important for avoiding the worst shoulder pain. Also, there are things in my technique that are not obvious, but it is far less arm driven than it looks to the naked eye - it's the straight arm that deceives people and the core rotation is just less than I would like. I mean, look at this guy, for example:

But Schlager helped me see that there was even more that I could be doing because his technique is the closest to mine that I have seen so far. So that is who I will be studying going forward.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Thanks for the diversion Next :)

Tommorow... actually in 4 hours i have to get up and absolve a trainer seminar. After that i will be a D ranked table tennis trainer :) im doing the next one in august.
I am curious of what i am going to learn tomorrow! :D

Ah jea and today i beat a guy who is ranked about 4 times as high as i am. Yay! He is one of the best u18 players of switzerland .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
That wonderful video has Mr. Schlager , Mr. Persson , Mr. Waldner and Mr. Saive. Which gentleman are you referring to ? Anyways that is one great video, I just wish they hadn't cut out the conversations ...
Finally, one more reference point - if I had better knees, I would loop more like this:

https://youtu.be/C_85n5Kar6c?t=63

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Finally, one more reference point - if I had better knees, I would loop more like this:

https://youtu.be/C_85n5Kar6c?t=63
Hey,
thanks for the link. Now I have one more youtube table tennis channel subscription :)
It's really fun watching those "older" pro players play around :)

On the same channel I found this video, which features a most impressive forehand topspin:

and I'm talking about the first top spin. They way he leans into it and swings his arm, just amazing. I could watch those videos all day.

I also took your advice and bought a tripod and a holder for my smartphone. It can only record 1080p@24fps, but maybe I'll buy this nifty little thing which can record 1080p@60fps:
http://www.dx.com/p/xiaomi-xiaoyi-1...nrdwgha-owlwfcd2jlmv8aahaf8p8haq#.V1wEAO0vCfZ

Last edited:
Reactions: Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Today I had a great day for TT. I have previously never beaten the best male player in my uni club. Usually for me, getting a set off him is an achievement, rarely do I get 2 sets in a match. Today I was able to beat him first time 2-0, and then repeat the victory 2-1. While the scores of the sets were close, quite a few ending in duels, we were both quite shocked. He says usually in matches with him, I only show 40% of my skill due to anxiety and not able to perform, but today, I was able to let go of myself more and he estimates 80% of my skill was shown in the match. I think maybe that's part of the reason, but also I trained more often recently , had more contacts with players I've not met before, and was able to adapt better to the table (which is an outdoor design table). Overall, this is a big milestone for me. While I cant say I will be able to beat him again the very next time we play, having the experience of beating him twice in a single day does boost my confidence alot.

Last edited: