Why do professional players moan when hitting the ball?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Or tennis players. Or in martial arts you vocalize on a strike. It gives you more power to have your exhale timed to your contact. A forced exhale or a vocalized exhale both give more power to your stroke because a forced or vocalized exhale helps more muscles, especially the muscles of the core, to engage.

Do a hard forced exhale and make a sound like "huh" and watch what happens to your abdomen. The harder you exhale the more you will see your core kick in. But the exhale also makes all other muscles able to engage more fully.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
This is what Carl is trying to say ... just thought the video will help illustrate it better ...

Or tennis players. Or in martial arts you vocalize on a strike. It gives you more power to have your exhale timed to your contact. A forced exhale or a vocalized exhale both give more power to your stroke because a forced or vocalized exhale helps more muscles, especially the muscles of the core, to engage.

Do a hard forced exhale and make a sound like "huh" and watch what happens to your abdomen. The harder you exhale the more you will see your core kick in. But the exhale also makes all other muscles able to engage more fully.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
I often see players like Dimitij Ovtcharov or Jun Mizutani sort of moan or grunt when hitting the ball. What is the purpose of this? Is it to distract their opponent or help them with their breathing when they are in a rally?
It certainly helps a lot for breathing, and this is a thing many people underestimate. If you hold your breath during the shot, you will get tired much faster than if you push the air from your lungs, you can notice this easily during multiball sessions.

Reactions: Baal
This user has no status.
i think your overthinking the whole thing. at a very hard shot yes you do a sound. but for example primorac is also doing that when he is just moving his little finger. it's most of the time just a tick. you can be sure that every chinese would do that already for years if there would be a higher meaning in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Why is Dima doing it during practice and only in matches where it gets into big rallies ? I think you are right about the other part , not about the Chinese. I guess for them its a matter of culture ...
i think your overthinking the whole thing. at a very hard shot yes you do a sound. but for example primorac is also doing that when he is just moving his little finger. it's most of the time just a tick. you can be sure that every chinese would do that already for years if there would be a higher meaning in it.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It certainly helps a lot for breathing, and this is a thing many people underestimate. If you hold your breath during the shot, you will get tired much faster than if you push the air from your lungs, you can notice this easily during multiball sessions.

Was just going to write this. Also, of course, it helps with timing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews

It does not have to be a loud sound. Most of the time its just a rhytmic breath. And i guess almost all of the top chinese do this.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Why is Dima doing it during practice and only in matches where it gets into big rallies ? I think you are right about the other part , not about the Chinese. I guess for them its a matter of culture ...

It's indeed part of a culture. For the chinese, grunting might be seen as a disturbance and impolite. Japanese on the other hand has this passion when they're excited. You can see how Japanese team are amongst the loudest teams when they cheer for their teammates.

This user has no status.
My own personal view... when you are in the preparation phase of any stroke, getting in position to execute the stroke, swinging back, you are recoiling all your muscles.

Then you start to unleash all that potential energy, and starts becoming dynamic energy, tough you are still controlling the timing to contact the ball...

When you finally contact the ball, then you really unleash all the potential energy still in your muscles, and accelerate as fast as you can... Is is right at the time of contact when the huh sound comes into play...

I hope this adds another angle to what already has been described by others...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews

Yeah, Primo grunts even when he is blocking: [video]http://coub.com/view/cx5kg[/video].

Interestingly, I like to grunt myself when I'm kind of "stretched" in the game or even practice. And I even cannot say why I'm doing this, it somehow makes me more comfortable and confident.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 6 reviews
I often see players like Dimitij Ovtcharov or Jun Mizutani sort of moan or grunt when hitting the ball. What is the purpose of this? Is it to distract their opponent or help them with their breathing when they are in a rally?

A lot of players use it as a technique to maintain rhythm in training alongside their breathing patterns , this allows shot timing to improve which helps in exercises, a lot of players use it in training but less in matches .