My Journey: Keenan Southall (Vlogs)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
I'm sorry if Im going to offend you, but you are by no means a professional. Your strokes are fluid and at the same time awkward, especially your forehand topspin. Calling that a chinese style topspin is an insult to chinese. Your loop is way too high and slow. You use straight arm to loop, but with no wrist, no elbow snap. You lack power and consistency. Your footwork is also bad. I see that you have passion, but that (unfortunately) isn't everything. Unlike in football for example, in order to be the best at table tennis you have to start at very young age.
Your leg muscles are lousy.
Btw: Judging by the video with Keinath i've seen, he's the worst sparring you could get.

You will always get haters Keenan, keep doing you :cool:

Reactions: keenansouthall
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hi! The link to your channel in your website doesn't works. I think we are in similar situation and on a similar level so I hurry to you! One of Hungary's best player, Ádám Pattantyús played from an early age, but then he gave up table tennis. At the age of 21 he restarted playing, with the goal of became a professional. Last year (or in '14?) he beat Chuang Chih Yuan. Never say never.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Hi! The link to your channel in your website doesn't works. I think we are in similar situation and on a similar level so I hurry to you! One of Hungary's best player, Ádám Pattantyús played from an early age, but then he gave up table tennis. At the age of 21 he restarted playing, with the goal of became a professional. Last year (or in '14?) he beat Chuang Chih Yuan. Never say never.

Oops, I didn't even realize that [emoji50] I'll try to fix it, and thanks for the advice [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews

Yes! I think you are a great inspiration Keenan :)
I as well want to get good! My goal is to play at an international tournament as a swiss player !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Your technique and relaxation are pretty remarkable considering the years you train. It is also very rare at your age to see players like you focusing so much on the basics because they understand the importance. Most people get overexcited with equipment and forget that the player shines the paddle not vice versa

Now since the internet is a really tricky thing, my personal "suggestion/advice" is two things I learned from kreanga, although he wasnt even coaching me, we were just fooling around talking about TT

1st is : always aim a little higher than your current potential, that goes mainly for technique. Dont train too easy drills or too hard just to prove yourself or boost your ego, it is a waste of time and most of the time results in poor psychology/development and results.

A little higher means that ur difficulty level of drills must be the one that challenges your body and brain to adapt, but does not result in crappy technique/footwork/recovery etc.

To be more specific : if u cant handle the pace/speed on certain drills, lower the speed so that you can execute with perfect technique zillions of times dont try to fly before you can learn how to walk its pointless :p So if u cant do it perfect a zillion times lower the difficulty as needed, if it is too easy or boring adapt again as needed.

2nd is recovery after stroke to ready balance/position for the next stroke which is a difficult skill to master even for the pros and its a common "mistake" among hobby/amateurs/beginners . When u feel ur technique is good then start focusing on recovery in your drills. Everybody can topspin hard, very few can do it ball after ball after ball after ball etc etc :p

So even for your videos, if you want to provide us something I think it would be 100 % efficient if u post a match against an equal level player (little better or little worse does not matter). Cause Im quite positive that you will get much better observations/suggestions that way. If u play a much worse player you will just look perfect and vice versa if u play against a much better opponent.

Of course one can say that even if u play a worse player some things are pretty obvious to improve but that is were 1st advice of kreanga comes to play :p

Good luck and be patient :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Your technique and relaxation are pretty remarkable considering the years you train. It is also very rare at your age to see players like you focusing so much on the basics because they understand the importance. Most people get overexcited with equipment and forget that the player shines the paddle not vice versa

Now since the internet is a really tricky thing, my personal "suggestion/advice" is two things I learned from kreanga, although he wasnt even coaching me, we were just fooling around talking about TT

1st is : always aim a little higher than your current potential, that goes mainly for technique. Dont train too easy drills or too hard just to prove yourself or boost your ego, it is a waste of time and most of the time results in poor psychology/development and results.

A little higher means that ur difficulty level of drills must be the one that challenges your body and brain to adapt, but does not result in crappy technique/footwork/recovery etc.

To be more specific : if u cant handle the pace/speed on certain drills, lower the speed so that you can execute with perfect technique zillions of times dont try to fly before you can learn how to walk its pointless :p So if u cant do it perfect a zillion times lower the difficulty as needed, if it is too easy or boring adapt again as needed.

2nd is recovery after stroke to ready balance/position for the next stroke which is a difficult skill to master even for the pros and its a common "mistake" among hobby/amateurs/beginners . When u feel ur technique is good then start focusing on recovery in your drills. Everybody can topspin hard, very few can do it ball after ball after ball after ball etc etc :p

So even for your videos, if you want to provide us something I think it would be 100 % efficient if u post a match against an equal level player (little better or little worse does not matter). Cause Im quite positive that you will get much better observations/suggestions that way. If u play a much worse player you will just look perfect and vice versa if u play against a much better opponent.

Of course one can say that even if u play a worse player some things are pretty obvious to improve but that is were 1st advice of kreanga comes to play :p

Good luck and be patient :)

Thanks very much for the advice, the people on TTD are truly great. There's a tournament coming up here in Colorado in about 2 weeks so I'll post a bunch of matches/highlights. It sucks because there is only a total of two tournaments here for this summer, and I couldn't make the first one. That's the reason I've been lacking, but I'll try my best! I play in the local league here every Tuesday, but (I'm not trying to sound arrogant or anything) but I usually don't lose so it's not very exciting to watch. When I get to Slovakia in August I can post a lot more match stuff and also a lot more training (here I train in my garage everyday so it doesn't look great to record training in there) and there is a local club that just opened up on Monday nights at the downtown y which is open play, so I also practice there. Again, thanks a lot for the advice, I really want to post things that people actually would like to see instead of everything that's already on YouTube, thanks again! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Boogar and TTFrenzy