My Journey: Keenan Southall (Vlogs)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Hi everyone! Sorry I have not made any posts in awhile, as I just got back from Germany and have been getting used to being back home. First of all my time there was amazing, so if anyone has any questions on that feel free to ask ???? Anyways, Dan visited us in Germany so I got to know him well and become friends with him and I recently talked to him about making this post and seeing if it was alright so id like to give all my thanks to him. He has really been my biggest inspiration for making a YouTube channel and I don't think I would have done it if it wasn't for him so thanks Dan!! The videos I will be posting are videos about me, training/coaching, some small reviews/tips and things like that so I think it will be a lot of fun for everyone. I really want to get into the raw side of table tennis and not just the commercial side, things like private training and what pros do and how they practice. So I hope everyone enjoys it and I will start posting videos regularly, thanks everyone!! Check out my first video about me, sorry i was a little bit nervous and all over the place and actually forgot to mention quite a bit so feel free to ask any questions

Last edited:

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Who the hell coached you for you to get the form you have in just 2 years?

I thought the same Archosaurus! Thomas Keinath is his coach! Hes a beast!

Great to meet you in Germany Keenan, I am honored that I have inspired you! Keep up the great work! Looking forward to your journey! :)

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Who the hell coached you for you to get the form you have in just 2 years?

Haha [emoji6] I get this question a lot, my first coach here in Colorado was very stern about me having good looking strokes which helped me out so much. I started taking lessons with him for once a week and in about a year and a half, a training partner started coming over to my house about 3-4 days a week and I would practice a ton of basic strokes which I feel is so important. Tommy really helped me learn to "feel" the ball better and taught me how to put more spin, speed, etc on the ball which I really lacked before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
I thought the same Archosaurus! Thomas Keinath is his coach! Hes a beast!

Great to meet you in Germany Keenan, I am honored that I have inspired you! Keep up the great work! Looking forward to your journey! :)

Thanks Dan! Hope to see you soon!

Reactions: Dan
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks! I'll try my best [emoji4]

Keenan, I see your rating in 2015 was 1675. Which means a year ago your rating was already pretty solid for how long you were playing.

Now that you are back in the USA are you planning to enter any US tournaments? I'll be interested to see how much progress you have made in the last year.

I would also be interested to hear a rundown of what your routine on a daily and weekly basis was while you were in Germany working with Thomas Keinath.

I think you had a thread you started on your visit. But it would still be interesting to hear the information in this thread.

@ Archo, this is what happens when you have training with a top notch coach several hours a day, every day.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Keenan, I see your rating in 2015 was 1675. Which means a year ago your rating was already pretty solid for how long you were playing.

Now that you are back in the USA are you planning to enter any US tournaments? I'll be interested to see how much progress you have made in the last year.

I would also be interested to hear a rundown of what your routine on a daily and weekly basis was while you were in Germany working with Thomas Keinath.

I think you had a thread you started on your visit. But it would still be interesting to hear the information in this thread.

@ Archo, this is what happens when you have training with a top notch coach several hours a day, every day.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

I am planning on playing some tournaments while I'm here, I'm for sure playing in the Rocky Mountain State Games, and I'm going to play any other tournaments that we have here before I leave (I'm going back to Slovakia for training around August or September). But unfortunately in Colorado we don't have so many USATT tournaments. I think this is a great question, first off we didn't always have the same schedule since sometimes we'd travel or we'd have to go to our own league matches. So basically a day would start off with training around 9 and we'd train until 11:30. Then we'd eat lunch and have a little break and we'd be back practicing around 2-5:30 then eat dinner, and many times we'd have another training session after that as well depending on the day, and these times all depended on where we practiced also. And the practices sometimes depended on the day and how many players we'd have, some days we'd do game like drills (maybe serve free or random drills) and some days we'd do more basic training (maybe one backhand one forehand) and drills like that. Some days we'd have a lot of footwork as well. We'd switch between training partners throughout the day and everyone would get chances to hit with Keini. As we finished our drills, we'd do multiball for a certain period of time. And during this training time, we wouldn't get many breaks (mainly just to pick up balls [emoji6]) so the times when we'd trained would be filled with training. And he would give you tips all throughout the day and what you could try to improve. And lastly SERVES!!! Serves were very important for us, because how important they are for your tt game. We'd practice sometimes for an hour a day, so by the time I left my serves had greatly improved. I'm still not that great of a player since I haven't been playing too long, but I love the sport so much, so for me training everyday is like eating candy which is how I stay motivated and I hope to track my process here and on YouTube. Hope this cleared a little bit up, let me know if you have any more questions!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Keenan,

Great work. Did you consider playing in the Nationals?

Did practice against pips or heavy backspin feature into any part of your training?

Thanks! I did actually, but I didn't sign up early enough since I had so many things going on and I didn't really talk to my parents about it. I would love to play next year. We didn't actually practice any of that, I think it would be a good idea!
Oops, now that I read your comment again yes we did practice some drills with heavy backspin (actually pretty often) but nothing with long pips or anti

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Good to hear about the serving. Ended the training last evening with long, deep practice serving as well and placed a towel on my own table half, 1 foot from the end line, to force a first bounce near the end line. I really was surpriced how many FH pendulum serves hit the towel! Had to adjust my timing to a later moment of ball contact and a more fluid back/forward swing to make the serve happen. Looking forward to your tips&tricks on serve training.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Looking forward to your videos :)

How did you come to have such an awesome opportunity? To train for 5 months in germany i mean.
I am very much interested in doing the same!

And do you use Hurricane 3 and not the NEO version? And if so do you boost it?

Cheers

I actually found it here on ttd and I believe the article was an interview with Thomas Keinath saying he was looking for players to come and I immediately emailed him as soon as I saw it! You should look into it! I can talk to tommy for you or I can tell you how to contact him if you're interested. I use boosted H3 neo, hope this helped!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews

Hi everyone! New video on my YouTube channel on how to make your serve better, what makes a "good" serve, and why the serve is so important. I hope it is clear and sorry for all of the ums and pauses I had, but I'll get better! Feel free to ask me any questions as well as give me criticism, enjoy!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
I actually found it here on ttd and I believe the article was an interview with Thomas Keinath saying he was looking for players to come and I immediately emailed him as soon as I saw it! You should look into it! I can talk to tommy for you or I can tell you how to contact him if you're interested. I use boosted H3 neo, hope this helped!

If you could give me his contact info hat would be great.
:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Looking forward to your videos :)

How did you come to have such an awesome opportunity? To train for 5 months in germany i mean.
I am very much interested in doing the same!

And do you use Hurricane 3 and not the NEO version? And if so do you boost it?

Cheers

Hey Boogar, hope you don't mind if I be jumpin' in here.
Here's a link to the thread i've made last year. This should answer most of your questions. http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...e-Tennis-lessons-with-Thomas-Keinath&p=128825

Just in case: feel free to pm me.
Cheers

Reactions: Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews