Butterfly Tiago Apolonia ZLC Blade Review!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey all,

We have just released our latest TableTennisDaily review on the Tiago Apolonia ZLC blade with the man behind the blade himself, world number 18 Tiago Apolonia! It was truly great to spend the day with Tiago, trying out his new blade and filming a mini documentary of Tiago which we will release soon. Together with Tiago, Butterfly launched his new personal blade, the Tiago Apolonia ZLC which has been designed for players looking for a soft touch and lots of spin.

Written in-depth review of the Butterfly Tiago Apolonia ZLC blade in the TTD Review Centre here.

Any questions, leave below guys :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Gotta hand it to Butterfly though. They discontinued a classic blade (Innerforce ZLC), raised the price and renamed it the Tiago Appolonia ZLC, and created a piece of crap called the Inner Layer ZLC for people who will spend money without ever figuring out what they did. That's why we all love Butterfly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Gotta hand it to Butterfly though. They discontinued a classic blade (Innerforce ZLC), raised the price and renamed it the Tiago Appolonia ZLC, and created a piece of crap called the Inner Layer ZLC for people who will spend money without ever figuring out what they did. That's why we all love Butterfly.

Well you still have the innerforce layer ZLC, I think it's the same thing as the old Innerforce ZLC.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016

Hypothetically speaking, let's say I had an IF layer ZLC in my shopping cart, what did butterfly do to the blade that makes it so terrible?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hypothetically speaking, let's say I had an IF layer ZLC in my shopping cart, what did butterfly do to the blade that makes it so terrible?

I would say that if you have used the original Innerforce ZLC and liked it, don't assume you are getting the same thing. Treat the new blade as a new thing in terms of balance and play and see whether you enjoy it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Nice video.
I am getting confused with all the blades named after different players in Butterfly, and would appreciate if someone can clarify few things for me:
I can see the difference between Zhang Jike ZLC and the Apolonia ZLC, but what is the difference between these blades and Jun Mizutani ZLC?
In terms of this blade having more feel, how does this blade compare with other carbon blades like carbonado 145?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Nice video.
I am getting confused with all the blades named after different players in Butterfly, and would appreciate if someone can clarify few things for me:
I can see the difference between Zhang Jike ZLC and the Apolonia ZLC, but what is the difference between these blades and Jun Mizutani ZLC?
In terms of this blade having more feel, how does this blade compare with other carbon blades like carbonado 145?

The Mizutani ha the ZLC ply closer to the exterior like the ZJK ZLC, but has limba outer plies, like the Apolonia ZLC.

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Nice video.

I've never played carbonado, but in comparison to other carbon blades such as MJ SZLC or TBS, it feels really woody and vibrates a lot more. However, once you start to hit harder, you can feel the carbon stiffened up the blade and the power really comes through.

One aspect of innerforce is its non-linearity, it's probably as fast as a 92g Stratus power wood on blocking and normal drive (in comparison my IF ZLC is 85g) but goes faster on powerful swings. Overall, it has the sweet spot and power of a carbon blade but feels closer to a 7-ply all wood with stiff core

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffM

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Miguel! I have a new blade for you.

Haha! Miguel will love this blade!

Hey Dan,

Out of all the blades that you and your hitting buddy have reviewed and owned,
which is your favorite and why? Is there a clear personal best?

Good question! I will put some of my favorite blades from a few brands because the thing is theres not one complete clear personal best as I feel each brand nowadays has a really good blade.

From Butterfly I really like the blades that use Koto on the outer edge like the Zhang Jike ALC, or Boll ALC blades. I like how I can get a lot of power in those blades whilst maintaining the control. Of course the Tiago is a new composition of wood to what I have reviewed before and was really impressed with how much control I had with this blade. Its not as fast as a koto carbon blade however has enough speed to still put a lot of pace on the ball.

I'm I was a big fan of the Zhang Jike Super ZLC due to its sheer speed and was fun to play with but very fast. I really liked the Stiga Carbonado 145 as it has that controlled wood feel yet you can still generate a lot of speed on the ball.

Other blades I like are the Xiom Vega Tour which I will release a review on soon. Thats a good blade. I think everyone has unique opinions on blades due to personal preference and style. The type of blades I like are Carbon blades that are not super fast which have good control.

I would say that if you have used the original Innerforce ZLC and liked it, don't assume you are getting the same thing. Treat the new blade as a new thing in terms of balance and play and see whether you enjoy it.

Good tip Next Level, how similar they are its hard to tell. Its like a Boll ALC and a Jike ALC.

Thanks for the video review Dan. By the way is this a new practice facility?

Hi Jaffar, this is the facility Tiago practices at in Saarbrucken, Germany. The training facility of the Saarbrucken Team :)

Nice video.

Good question. In the intro of the review below I explain the differences between the Mizutani ZLC and Zhang Jike ZLC. The outer layers of wood tend to be different. The Mizutani Super ZLC is more similar to the Apolonia ZLC in terms of composition than the Zhang Jike ZLC as the Mizutani is using limba on the outer wood which is the same outer wood as apolonia. The weight of the Mizutani is heaver than Apolonia.

Playing with all these pros is making you better, Dan. ;)

Haha I wish! :D

Hi Dan,

I was wondering about the new Tiago Apolonia ZLC. Great review!! How is it compared to the Timo boll spirit? Speed, control, short game and does the ball stay longer on the racket?

Best regards
Tomas

Hey Tomas,

Thank you :)

I think the Timo Boll Spirit is more direct and faster. I think the ball stays on the bat longer on the Apolonia and absorbs more of the balls energy and in return can produce more spin. The Boll Spirit shoots the ball of the bat quicker which is not surprising as the carbon layer is close to the outer layer. The outer layer of the Boll Spirit is a hard layer using Koto. I think in the short game it depends on your style of touch. If you like doing sharp, quick touches the Boll Spirit will be of good choice. If you take your time a little more an Apolonia would suit the touch. The Boll is a more aggressive blade, the Tiago is more for spin and variation with control type of blade.

For example a player with the style like Zhang Jike would use a Koto carbon blade like the Viscaria whereas Samsonov, Tiago and others with this style would more opt to controlled, fast type of blades (generally).

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews