Yoshimura Maharu Service Breakdown with Siva (2nd Iteration)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hi Guys, after a lot of feedback from you all, I went again in the garage and reworked on the serve. Those Japanese youtube videos were of great help, also thanks for pointing out the fact that I got it completely wrong. This time, I worked with sidespin-backspin serve. Though other variations are possible with my own style, I am yet to figure out doing all serve variations in YM way. Hope you guys like this one. As usual feedbacks of all kinds are appreciated.

says what [IMG]
Well i think its still important to follow the rules.

Although true, quite a naive view to follow the rules strictly if they're not enforced strictly.

The palm/hand rule is there so you don't put spin on the ball, and the throwing ball rule is there so you throw the ball.

If you throw the ball and don't put spin on it, and it goes somewhat vertically, it's practically fine. I don't think people really need to pay more attention.

says what [IMG]
That would be interpreting the rules then. Sure no one will say anything if you throw out of your fingers. However one day in a higher league they might and then your serve game will fall apart. Better be prepared.

Siva throws the ball like everyone else. It's definitely not out of the fingers to the extent where any umpire would call a fault.

Come to think of it, I've just about never seen anyone follow this rule properly.

says what [IMG]
Pretty much all of the pro players
A handful. Samsonov is the only one who doesn't break any rules that I can see, while the others who do throw it properly like Ma Long break every other rule, so it really doesn't matter because there's no spin on the ball.

I'll take someone who doesn't throw it 100% perfectly but doesn't hide it over someone who throws it perfectly as a redeeming quality, but hides the ball.

This user has no status.
You are getting a lot of spin and variation which is good. Something to work on is that, while the serve is short due to the backspin, it does bounce quite high on the first bounce in many instances. A "good" opponent could step in and slap or flick it back with an attacking stroke forcing you to defend on the next ball.

To counter this, the first bounce needs to be lower, and the main way to do that is to lower the point of contact relative to the table surface, and/or less pace/lower throw-up. It is a tricky balance as this will change the stroke movement, which will in turn adjust the spin.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
You are getting a lot of spin and variation which is good. Something to work on is that, while the serve is short due to the backspin, it does bounce quite high on the first bounce in many instances. A "good" opponent could step in and slap or flick it back with an attacking stroke forcing you to defend on the next ball.

To counter this, the first bounce needs to be lower, and the main way to do that is to lower the point of contact relative to the table surface, and/or less pace/lower throw-up. It is a tricky balance as this will change the stroke movement, which will in turn adjust the spin.
Yeah, I am trying to make the contact at a lower point. But, the problem was I was aesthetically compromising the look of the serve. I still am wondering how YM contacts the ball at a higher point and is able to keep the ball at a such low level when it reaches the net.

I have also seen YM compromising in a game with some real bad serves which are too high once in a while.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Although true, quite a naive view to follow the rules strictly if they're not enforced strictly.

The palm/hand rule is there so you don't put spin on the ball, and the throwing ball rule is there so you throw the ball.

If you throw the ball and don't put spin on it, and it goes somewhat vertically, it's practically fine. I don't think people really need to pay more attention.

Here is the video that relates to what Archo is saying:

@ Boogar: you should know, in many ways Archo is just one of the cartoon characters from that video. And he has probably never played with anyone who is actually a decent level in table tennis. He is a smart guy. But sometimes he thinks he knows more than he does about things he has never seen or played against. So don't get bent out of shape when he is acting the fool.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
Reactions: Boogar