Ideas for an outdoor setup

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Looking for ideas for an outdoor setup

Hi all,

First a short introduction:
A few months ago I've become infected with the table tennis 'virus' and since then I play at least once a week. I decided to go for what seemed decent beginners equipment to me, an allround oriented blade with Yasaka Mark V 2.0mm rubbers. The blade is a Donic Bloodwood Senso AR (a little off-topic, does anyone know why there's hardly any information about that blade on the internet? It even can't be found on Donic's website).

Now I want to buy a table myself, so I'm able to play more often. Unfortunately there's no room inside the house for an indoor table. However, the backyard has plenty of room. But as we all know, outdoors we have to deal with influences we can't control, e.g. wind and rain. I was wondering if any of you have experiences with an outdoor setup. I've been thinking about a tent or some tarps, but inside a tent there probably will be lack of decent light, and with tarps wind might still can be a deal breaker.

If any of you have suggestions, they're more than welcome.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hi all,

First a short introduction:
A few months ago I've become infected with the table tennis 'virus' and since then I play at least once a week. I decided to go for what seemed decent beginners equipment to me, an allround oriented blade with Yasaka Mark V 2.0mm rubbers. The blade is a Donic Bloodwood Senso AR (a little off-topic, does anyone know why there's hardly any information about that blade on the internet? It even can't be found on Donic's website).

Now I want to buy a table myself, so I'm able to play more often. Unfortunately there's no room inside the house for an indoor table. However, the backyard has plenty of room. But as we all know, outdoors we have to deal with influences we can't control, e.g. wind and rain. I was wondering if any of you have experiences with an outdoor setup. I've been thinking about a tent or some tarps, but inside a tent there probably will be lack of decent light, and with tarps wind might still can be a deal breaker.

If any of you have suggestions, they're more than welcome.

Hey there Jirrex welcome to the forum :) Nice setup you got there.

As for the Donic Bloodwood Senso AR i found a german description on it and translated it for you:

The Donic Bloodwood Senso AR is built for allround play. It has great feedback and lets you feel the ball well.
Its best played in mid distance. The outer layer is made out of hard wood.

I prefer beginner blades with softer wood due to their ability to increase the dwell time of the ball a little. However i think this is a good beginner blade as it isnt too fast.

Now to your second question. I myself play alot on outdoor tables. I wouldnt worry too much about it. Just be sure to get a table that can withstand the weather. Against wind try to put it near a wall or something where its shielded a little, but there will always be some wind. You will get used to it.
What you can do is put up a tarpaulin to create shelter against rain.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Thanks for the information Boogar :)

The shop owner guaranteed me that the blade would suit my needs. At first I was actually looking for a Stiga Allround Classic, but they didn't have it.

In my backyard it's not that easy to put it near a wall. Well, there's a space with walls on both sides, but that's only 3 meters wide. The spot with plenty of space is more of an open lawn, so nothing really that protects from the wind.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
If possible, I want to be able to play anytime, also when there's some wind. I want to minimize the differences between in- and outdoor play, but maybe my wishes are a bit unrealistic ;).

Is there any chance you have experiences with Sponeta outdoor tables? Like Sponeta Expertline S 4-73E / Schoolline S 5-73E.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I have a shed, so storing the table won't be that much of a problem I guess. Lifetime of the rubbers will be shortened a lot when playing in direct sunlight?

What do you guys think about something like this?

9200000032251525.jpg

Reactions: ajtatosmano2
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I have a shed, so storing the table won't be that much of a problem I guess. Lifetime of the rubbers will be shortened a lot when playing in direct sunlight?

What do you guys think about something like this?

View attachment 10159

I left one for a day on direct sunlight and after that I had to use sandpaper to get some spin. :D Just playing in sunlight shouldn't be that bad, but I never risked it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
I've just spend times on google images and the amount of DIY tennis tables is unbelievable. Was just going to reply, you can build it out of anything really and if you are worried about bounce, simply double up on thickness of whatever you get. Just concentrate on putting 2+2 together and making it easily movable than worry about the materials. Let me give you an example. Build the base solid for instance (say metal) and the top plastic or metal........whatever you can get your hands on easily. Now go to your local home build depo and get biggest wide available plywood which will normally be 18mm. Paint it, line it, net it........now every time you go practice with your DIY robot you only have to bring the Ply from the garage instead of moving the entire table. Just food for thoughts. 18mm + the bottom surface (pretty accurate bounce). For those thinking of building indoor one, build the legs, just buy the plywood but get 2 pieces. 18+18 = 26mm that's like Tibhar Smash 28R pro grade level right there. Attach both pieces however you like....glue or nails from the bottom. Pro grade table for around 150-200$

When we were kids every neighborhood in the city use to have it's own metal tables just chillin', and we would play for free every day after school, winter or summer. Even in 100km/h winds. Just avoid lobbing that's all. Or when we forgot bats but really wanted to play so we will use plastic bottles from a near by bin. We would spend 10min just looking for the right one as the ribbons would give better spin on the ball than those shitty premade crap. Those were the innocent days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Thanks for your input Kokain. I didn't really give that a thought, DIY tables. Usually I really like to make stuff myself, so this is something I'll take into consideration. So homemade table characteristics can be really similar to the expensive, match grade tables?

Only at this moment I'm more worried about creating a nice environment to play, I really would like to be able to play throughout the whole year.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
The bounce of pure wood is pretty similar to professional tables, except the reactivity to spin. The ball will change it's direction more after bounce, but that isn't really a problem, you will learn to read the spin even better. This is just my experience on wood mini table, different woods have different characteristics.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I left one for a day on direct sunlight and after that I had to use sandpaper to get some spin. :D Just playing in sunlight shouldn't be that bad, but I never risked it.

I know for sure, just playing outdoors, even with very minimal direct sunlight makes your rubber wear out way faster.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus