Is over celebrating a problem in table tennis?

This user has no status.
if i will at any point play anybody of you i will always when i do point scream "kame ha me haaaaaaaaaaa" in your face. and to celebrate the 10. point i will scream "finish him" and at the 11. i will jump to the table scream "fatality" and rip out your spine. cheers :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
if i will at any point play anybody of you i will always when i do point scream "kame ha me haaaaaaaaaaa" in your face. and to celebrate the 10. point i will scream "finish him" and at the 11. i will jump to the table scream "fatality" and rip out your spine. cheers :D

Not sure about the spine thing, but the rest seems in line with most 12 years olds I've met :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
Sorry for being straightforward, but talking about over-celebrating as a problem and specially mentioning Harimoto, a 12 years old, is over-thinking it.

Is over-celebrating annoying? Some may find it annoying, some may not. Is it good for TV broadcast? I don't know. But is it a problem for the sport? I strongly think it's not.

We have seen many matches when one player choes in opponents face and makes fists, not as celebrating, but as some kind of attack. That is something to talk about as a problem (although I find table tennis extremes a lot better than other sports)

It's almost impossible to put any rules on celebrating because not all people find it annoying and not all people do it annoyingly. It's all a subjective matter and really hard to measure when the whole celebrating thing goes too far.

It's not always a bad thing, as sometimes the people who celebrate the loudest will tend to get the most annoyed at themselves when they make a mistake (in my experience).

I think it's a celebration and a show of good faith. Every atom is your body is singing to win. It may not sound like Mozart, but I still think it's a sign of enthusiasm.

I find that it's good to play against these types of players. With all this yelling and shouting, you're almost always going to know when you make a mistake from the familiar sound of a ''cho'' or ''alle''. It tests and improves your mental strength while it also helps you to stay even more calm in tense situations.

It can get annoying, but there's really no way to ban it. And to ban it would be a ban of joy, enthusiasm and passion... and it'd almost feel wrong.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Alright, here is how I think of this stuff. Real, honest celebration is good. I have a friend who is African but speaks French and he says "Alle" or is it "Allay" and it actually sounds like exactly the emotion that goes with him making a great shot.

Cho, from most people sounds like someone imitating someone else. And this kid making guttural shrieks makes him seem a bit like an annoying dog barking. And Bernadette Szocs sounds like a wounded Harpie being tortured.

But good quality celebrations, or even ones that were entertaining, I think, would be a good thing for the sport and this sort of thing is severely lacking.

There is this video where Waldner gets on his knee and makes a fist: that was a classy celebration. I remember footage of Persson lying on his back and shaking his legs after a big win: that was was funny; but still good. And those celebrations did give you an idea of how big it was for Sweden to take the World Team Title in head to head combat against China. So, they were, in some way, inspiring.

I wouldn't care if it was ridiculous like the Ickey Woods Shuffle that I including in my first set of videos. And back when he was doing that, it was all over the media despite or perhaps, because of how ridiculous it was. It expressed his joy at doing something well without being an assault on the opponent. So, it may have been silly, but it made a lot of people watch Bengal games for several years hoping to get to see Ickey do his shuffle.

Look at how much positive attention Muhammed Ali brought to boxing by being a great and unconventional character and a large part of that was him talking smack and being outrageous.

So, some colorful characters hamming it up once in a while might be a good thing. So, it isn't celebrations that are the problem. But some kid shrieking over and over because his opponent missed a shot, well, the only person who really looks like an idiot with that kind of thing is the one doing it.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Yes, I get all this. Persson celebrates because Sweden has just beaten China. Something significant. It is normal, in fact sports would be diminished if people didn't do that. At the appropriate time. That is why I think the fine they gave ZJK was pretty absurd.

But then there is what we see with this young kid Harimoto. For example, his opponent serves. This kid pops up a crappy return. Opponent tees up a huge third ball forehand, and for some reason just barely misses.

Harimoto chos, loudly. Twice. A horrible annoying sound. Just like Bernadette Szocs.

You don't want to be like Bernadette Szocs.

I repeat. You don't want to be like Bernadette Szocs.

Harimoto and Szocs prove that over-celebrating is a problem in table tennis. It is not a very big problem because these two are extreme outliers (and one is just a kid and hopefully will grow out of it, but since everybody is probably telling him how special he is, chances are he won't).

Maybe he will stop if people tell him he is a small male clone of Bernadette Szocs?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

But then there is what we see with this young kid Harimoto. For example, his opponent serves. This kid pops up a crappy return. Opponent tees up a huge third ball forehand, and for some reason just barely misses.

That's what some people are missing. Touch downs in foot ball are not trivial. Neither are clutch plays or points in basketball. But celebrating every point as loudly as Tomo does is just bad manners.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Yes, I get all this. Persson celebrates because Sweden has just beaten China. Something significant. It is normal, in fact sports would be diminished if people didn't do that. At the appropriate time. That is why I think the fine they gave ZJK was pretty absurd.

I think by asian culture standard, what Ma Long did when he won against Fang Bo is more impolite compared to what ZJK did when he won the olympic. Most probably it's just the sponsor whining to ITTF over their logo on the barrier being kicked

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Guys you must get the difference between during-the-match celebratory choing in order to suppress the nervousness that takes you over during the match and the after-match bragging yourself by overly flaunting your victory to the opponent. The first one is to boost yourself up, I often if I'm not vocal during the game my shots won't even land on the table or get enough spin cause I'm nervous. However some of the players that choo really loudly after the match to brag over it are just super asshole idiots.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 4 reviews
Sorry for being straightforward, but talking about over-celebrating as a problem and specially mentioning Harimoto, a 12 years old, is over-thinking it.

Is over-celebrating annoying? Some may find it annoying, some may not. Is it good for TV broadcast? I don't know. But is it a problem for the sport? I strongly think it's not.

We have seen many matches when one player choes in opponents face and makes fists, not as celebrating, but as some kind of attack. That is something to talk about as a problem (although I find table tennis extremes a lot better than other sports)

It really surprised me how many people were so annoyed about how Harimoto celebrates points. This topic definitely splits opinion.

Reactions: BeGo

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Very annoying to even watch.Ittf should make rule about it.

Not to sure if there is a rule in place but I have seen umpires in tournaments tell a player they need to calm down etc from choing and fist pumping etc...

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Every professional athlete and many amateurs have an amazing mental state that they can get into. Each person has their zone. And in a competitive game there is the goal for yourself, which is to get into the zone and play your best, and, for some, there is the goal of bringing the other person off their game. And when you win one point, you win another point, and another. You are in the zone. And there is a feeling you get when you win the point. A feeling of pride, and power. It's science. When you feel pride and you show pride you become more powerful and perform better. And when you see someone asserting their power and pride you feel and become less powerful. That's why home advantage is so powerful. So celebrating points is a way to get into the zone and feel powerful, and it throws off your opponent.

Harimoto's actions in fact support that. If you look at his matches from last year, he seems disappointed when he loses points. He shows disappointment much less now. I think he has evolved as a mental player and found his zone. His zone is choing loudly and getting into the other person's head. And he's winning like that. If he wasn't choing like that, who knows how he would be doing.

Reactions: BeGo
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Cat-Cho 2.jpg

Reactions: Suga D and BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I have no (or very little) problem with someone celebrating a hard-fought and well-earned point - I get it, you are proud of your own effort etc. But someone who is very loud on every point, including opponent's unforced mistakes and his own edges and nets - very different. Poor sportsmanship in my book.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I m just worried , that even some fans like us would become deaf and stop watching :p
Nothing is wrong in celebrating, but it's true that it makes the sport less attractive when it comes to something like Harimoto imho.......but who cares, nobody watches table tennis anyway........except some fans like us :D

Yup and it could became a huge nuisance if this kind of celebrations become more and more usual.
Imagine you train kid, you show them some video of Harimoto for inspiration/motivation.........they all begin the cho like him. The other coaches do the same thing in other tt clubs. In the compeition day, every single kid is choing like Harimoto.........nobody can stay more than 5 minutes in the gym without getting his head about to explode.

I must admit that this type of "over celebration" should not become a generality because any tt gym will become hell for our hears.

Reactions: BeGo and ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Exactly, who knows what might happen , neighbors might call 911 , police might come in with riot gear and water cannons !! ... of course the table tennis balls will float .. but still :p
Yup and it could became a huge nuisance if this kind of celebrations become more and more usual.
Imagine you train kid, you show them some video of Harimoto for inspiration/motivation.........they all begin the cho like him. The other coaches do the same thing in other tt clubs. In the compeition day, every single kid is choing like Harimoto.........nobody can stay more than 5 minutes in the gym without getting his head about to explode.

I must admit that this type of "over celebration" should not become a generality because any tt gym will become hell for our hears.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I bet he has reached early puberty because of all the hoarse shouting ...
I wonder where Harimoto find all this power to chooo this much every single point he is winning..........this requires energy, and a good voice.....after a full day of competition, you will likely have no voice anymore !!!!