How critical is an over-sized blade for defending/chopping?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Is an oversized blade a "must-have" for defenders? Or do any defenders use a normal or slightly oversized blade?

And on that note, are there any moderately oversized blades that are good for defense? Possibly around the low 160s x mid to high 150s?

This user has no status.
I have a Defplay senso which is 164x157. Wonderful control, i have no complain about it.
But even having this 'proper" setup, i still prefer my Violin(156-149?) with P1R 0,5mm. Reaaaaly small sweet spot for chopping (thats why larger blades are prefered) but as ive been playing with this blade for a while, i feel more comfortable chopping with it than with defplay. Defplay chops definately has more spin and depth, but the violin feeling and confidence is a keeper ^^
Gionis Panagiotis uses a Korbel 158x151
Ruwen Filus uses a Timoboll spark (or used to use)

So i think its more an acquired taste than a rule...and of course, your style.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I agree it is personal preference, but I would say the ratio is more towards bigger head than oppose to normal head size.
Other than the overall size, it is also sweet spot, and balancing of the blade - for the slice/chop. imo it feels like you can chop deeper with bigger head than oppose to normal head.

If I was to coach def choppers, I would recommend bigger head

Reactions: BeGo