How's my technique?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Not sure what happened to it before but here it is again.

You cut out way too much, I cant rly comment on that.

One thing tho, while warming up your forehand seemed stiff and not fluid. Further you are moving the elbow too much, wich gives you a hard time recovering.

Your stance and weight transfer seemed to be okay. And your serve looked very good.

However its hard to comment more, how about loading up the matches as whole. There is no sense in only showing good points.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
The other footage is 40 mins and I don't think I won all the points. It's pretty hard to tell with the camera angle. About the moving the elbow too much, I think i have to do that because I currently find my blade to be really slow.

Try straigthening your arm more befor a loop and use the under arm snap more. Even with a slow blade there is no need to move the eblow that much.

Last edited:
Reactions: karan705
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I don't really see any major issues. Your technique is better than most casual players.
For your backhand, your elbow seems a little high. You should lower your elbow and your backswing instead.

We need to see your drive the ball. Looping sort of hides a lot of technical issues.
You cut a lot of your mistakes out. We need to see them.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says what [IMG]
Hey, he's not exactly bad. Based on the highlights.

Give us the mistakes and then we'll talk.

All I'm qualified to tell you is to go over video of you hitting forehands filmed from in front of you. Do you think you are driving from the hips or do you think you are pushing with your arm? I think you will figure it out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Your weight transfer is what's letting you down. The stroke is big, but no distinct acceleration during contact. Backhand seems to be of the same problem too.

A Chinese coach would say your technique is not focused enough, that is, the power you put in your shots are dissipated as opposed to transferred to the ball. Particularly since the ball is celluloid, I'd expect much higher ball speed with that big a swing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
your opponent looks like nextlevel from ttdaily.
also it's good you are using the same exact outfit as in your avatar picture, makes it easier to identify you.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, you look like you are having fun and you like to swing BIG. So keep playing.

From a fundamentals standpoint, it looks like you could use work on the basic stroke, on counterhitting with a compact stroke and some work on control.

The technical issues that appear in the video:

1) If you pause and move frame by frame, your hip-rotation is not timed with your contact. Your hips rotate after the ball has left your racket which is part of why you are swinging so hard and not transferring that power into the ball.

2) Your elbow moves to much and sometimes it goes up too much.

3) The followthrough of your stroke ends with the racket across your body, to the left of your left shoulder and lower than your left shoulder. Ideally your followthrough would end at about your mid-line. And about the height of your forehead.

In the match play, it is too bad we don't see any points where there is over the table play and it is too bad there are no longer rallies. Most of your serves in the video were long topspin that your opponent was not ready for the placement was interesting because you telegraphed where the serve was going and a better opponent would have punished that serve. But you opponent was consistently not ready for a ball going to the exact same place in the middle of the table.

In this video there is one serve you do that is backspin. But it is light backspin and the serve is long and high, so, pretty risky. But, you got away with it with the guy you are playing.

On receiving serves you demonstrate an ability to loop or push long backspin. So the video shows you are competent to receive the serves you were given.

In spite of the editing, it seems you are probably a little higher level than the guys you are playing in this video. So it would be interesting to see footage of you playing someone higher level or even someone who is actually your level. The guy you are playing the match with may be closer to your level than the warm up partner. But he has trouble receiving serves and adjusting to random placement when receiving serves.

None of this matters too much. Keep playing and having fun. You are quite good for being self taught. And the more you play the better you will get.

This video is care of NextLevel. This is some of the information you need to help your forehand improve:

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Just wondering doesn't Ma Long stoke also take his arm past the middle line. I think he does it occasionally

Hahaha. This is funny. Everyone wants to imitate the most advanced and complicated technique without the ability to do basic technique first.

Often when Ma Long hits a FH his stroke is big. But his technique is excellent and he has the ability to do a compact stroke. And he knows when he can do the bigger strokes and still reset or when the ball is just not going to come back. And when his stroke goes past the mid-line, his racket is NOT below his shoulder.

But keep thinking you are imitating Ma Long without understanding the technique. It's okay.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here, I explained the same thing differently for Siva S:

I try to adapt a style like ML recoiling like a spring and mix it with where ZJK starts his stroke.

This is a mistake made by many players who don't have a good coach and are trying to teach themselves how to play. The fundamentals of a player like Ma Long were phenomenal before he started playing around with extending the stroke. You need to have the basics way before you start doing that.

If you want to copy Ma Long's form you want to copy the strokes he does when he is warming up. The counterhitting stroke and the looping stroke he does in warming up for a match are more what you would want to emulate until your strokes are much better.

I hope that makes sense.

says what [IMG]
Carl's right on the money.

It doesn't matter what Ma Long is doing: you're not going to be able to copy it in the slightest by just looking and trying. You need to feel it. You can't copy it with your eyes because you will just not be able to do the movement, like you can't perfectly copy your right hand form with your left unless you practice it and ingrain the technique there as well.

Do counterhits, keep the arm relaxed and copy THAT form. You'll feel it in the elbow when you start getting it. You'll notice just how strange it feels at first but any tension will go away later and it will feel right once it's more ingrained. Then maybe you will understand it's about the harmony of the muscles as well, and you'll see just how complicated even the basic movement is.

Ever since my form got anything resembling not terrible, I've stopped trying to copy the pros' technique as it is. Take some pointers and try out how they rotate the hips or move the elbow if you notice something that looks better, but you can't copy it as it is. Even the CNT can't copy each other because they all have different mechanics.