Check this Awesome forehand return of serve

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
So I have seen xu Xin do this from pen hold. It's been a while back now but the first time I saw him do it I was amazed. I kept replaying it to try and see what he was doing and how it was done. Today I ran across this awesome short forehand return but from shake hand. Very nifty check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TurboZ
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
She did it with her backhand rubber, not really a crazy shot. I can do it myself sometimes when I'm confident enough.
I thought Xu Xin sometimes does this with his forehand rubber?

I know a shakehand guy who does this with his forehand rubber. If the ball is short on his forehand side and has some underspin on it, he can return the ball with a weird stroke, the returned ball is very fast to the opposite corner and has sidespin/underspin. It's so surprising that a few first times, I didn't even know what happened. He's not even a very good player, about U1700 USATT I guess.

Reactions: gmiller2233
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Xu xin does this with his forehand side.

I'm also a lefty penhold and I've done it a few times myself. It happens almost automatically when you see a righty pendulum sidespin serve that you were about to push, but then you realize it doesn't have much underspin, so you flip instead.
You can also obviously do this intentionally, but you can only do this to certain serves. It's also not the best way to return a serve.

It's kind of fun and not too difficult to learn. I've seen a lot of shakehand players do this with their backhand. I have yet to meet another penhold player who can do this with their forehand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Oshima does that shot alot aswell. I like this short verymuch for its deception.
The opponent doesnt know what to expect from the starting position of this stroke, it could either be a push or even a banana flick.
This find this receive is especially good against reverse pendulum serves, tomahwak and standart backhand serves as you are spinning with the spin and the contact is made easier on the right side, in the same way a banana flick is good against normal pendulum sidespin.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
It makes it makes sense that a shake hand player would take it with their backhand side of the rubber and a pen hold player with the forehand side. It just seems the most conducive for the required action/ movement. I have a friend who started playing at my club that's kind of new to table tennis that plays a seamiller grip. He does'nt watch videos and did not know he was playing a seemiller grip until I told him but he coordinated athletic guy and he just naturally picked up a good Banana flip, and he also started doing A variation on this strawberry flip with his forehand side with balls that spin right to left. It's not very good really but he did surprise me the first few times when I first saw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Xu xin does this with his forehand side.

I'm also a lefty penhold and I've done it a few times myself. It happens almost automatically when you see a righty pendulum sidespin serve that you were about to push, but then you realize it doesn't have much underspin, so you flip instead.
You can also obviously do this intentionally, but you can only do this to certain serves. It's also not the best way to return a serve.

It's kind of fun and not too difficult to learn. I've seen a lot of shakehand players do this with their backhand. I have yet to meet another penhold player who can do this with their forehand.

Well glad to be your first. ;)

I'm a lefty penholder also. I like this return every now & then. You can occasionally surprise someone with it as they might not be sure what spin is on it.

But yeah if you can do a reverse pendulum serve with penhold, than anyone can do this return. I find it particularly easy vs pure side or side/backspin. It works well there.

Vs some type of topspin, I don't really like it. You really have to get your blade on top of the ball and the shot in my experience tends to be too wristy & not much power. I think one is better off just doing a normal forehand flip vs anything that has top on it.

Just my two cents.