My ZJK reverse pendulum service tribute with incredible music

This user has no status.
First of all, I REALLY like the serves, but since you insist on feedback I'll have to admit that I went back and rewatched it like 3 times to find anything that is even remotely off.
It (ironically) comes down to a philosophy thing, do you want to imitate ZJK to the best of your ability, or do you want to produce the best version of the reverse pendulum serve that you can come up with?

I feel like your entire movement is quite similar to what ZJK is doing, however I think that you could generate more spin and especially disguise your serve better if you would redirect the movement towards the table, not quite as outwards to the side as in the video.
It's hard to tell based on footage, but how much backspin are you getting on the serve? How easy would it be for an opponent to flick the ball?

If you manage to get a good amount of pure sidespin, pure backspin and a mixture of both with the shown movement, then scratch everything I said above. If you struggle with the backspin, try raising your elbow a bit higher up to shoulder height, thus creating a more extreme (and more awkward) racket angle. It should in theory facilitate generating backspin.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I like it. You are starting out way lower.

Now you need to rotate your hips into position as part of your followthrough. Your followthrough should end with your right foot out to the right, near the center line of the table, facing almost square to the table and ready to receive a return.

One of the things adding this to the practice will do is cause you to add more hips.

But I don't think you need to do that. It would just add the finishing touch to the serve. Or, really, all your serves.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: Siva Schopenhauer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
First of all, I REALLY like the serves, but since you insist on feedback I'll have to admit that I went back and rewatched it like 3 times to find anything that is even remotely off.
It (ironically) comes down to a philosophy thing, do you want to imitate ZJK to the best of your ability, or do you want to produce the best version of the reverse pendulum serve that you can come up with?

I feel like your entire movement is quite similar to what ZJK is doing, however I think that you could generate more spin and especially disguise your serve better if you would redirect the movement towards the table, not quite as outwards to the side as in the video.
It's hard to tell based on footage, but how much backspin are you getting on the serve? How easy would it be for an opponent to flick the ball?

If you manage to get a good amount of pure sidespin, pure backspin and a mixture of both with the shown movement, then scratch everything I said above. If you struggle with the backspin, try raising your elbow a bit higher up to shoulder height, thus creating a more extreme (and more awkward) racket angle. It should in theory facilitate generating backspin.

owever I think that you could generate more spin and especially disguise your serve better if you would redirect the movement towards the table, not quite as outwards to the side as in the video.

Ha, I didn't think about this while practising those serves. Yeah, so I am losing lot of momentum sometimes by going sideways instead of forward. Thinking back ZJK goes forward in those videos. Makes lot of sense to me now. Thanks a lot for the feedback. I appreciate it :)

For Backspin, I do the other way, I use to tilt the racket and my wrist slightly backwards and contact the lower hemisphere to impart them. But, my experience of backpin with these serves seem undersatisfactory. My opponents could return them easily. So, I depended upon topspin and sidespin to keep the balls out of the table.

I ll try raising my arm above shoulder level and see if it works better :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
I like it. You are starting out way lower.

Now you need to rotate your hips into position as part of your followthrough. Your followthrough should end with your right foot out to the right, near the center line of the table, facing almost square to the table and ready to receive a return.

One of the things adding this to the practice will do is cause you to add more hips.

But I don't think you need to do that. It would just add the finishing touch to the serve. Or, really, all your serves.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Did you check in my new game video, that I usually comeback to receive the ball before my serves crosses the net. That is an example of muscle memory. I do it automatically in games.

Regarding Hips, I find it more abstract to get it into my understanding. Some example or case would be of great help.

I went back and tried to incorporate energy transfer through hip but it messed up my contact. That is why I couldnt come back to that thread.