Par gerell serve

says Do you change your rubber in your same blade (infinity...
says Do you change your rubber in your same blade (infinity...
Jun 2016
Read 6 reviews
He does all of those serves with almost the same serving action that's why it's so difficult to read.

What is back top ?

Sorry my friends
It's my mistake
There isn't anything called backtop spin
I meat back side ..
Thank you for your interest .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I think his serves mainly are backspin + sidespin. Sometimes more backspin, sometimes more (or almost pure) sidespin. IMO, most of the times people misread his serve, they think it has backspin but actually it is almost pure sidespin, they open the bat and push the ball, it pops up. He fools the opponent by the motion of his arm (going down but actually he contacts the ball on the side). There is also not a lot of difference in the trajectory of the ball in his serves (with different spins) which makes it harder to read the spin.

Reactions: Ahmad Arnous
Well he uses the tomahawk/reverse/punch/kick/hook/*insert more names* serve. Wang Hao also used this serve with his penhold grip. Par Gerell's serve is effective for a couple of reasons. Number 1: he's a left hander and number 2: it's an unusual/uncommon serve. But the main reason is because it is illegal and he hides the ball. No surprise. I mean there is some leeway given because of the other two factors, but it is mainly due to the fact that it is illegal. It's not some god-send serve or anything.

To actually answer your question, he uses sidespin and sidespin-backspin I'm guessing. Easy to do and disguise since you only need a change in the racket angle. Good serve to use just because it's fairly uncommon. Hit the ball on the back and you'll get sidespin. Hide the ball underneath/on the bottom and you'll get some backspin. It is limited by its amount of spin but it's very easy to conceal and that's what makes it effective (even though it's illegal). The spin does cause it to come to your forehand on a straight contact and it's a good chance of pace serve. Just be careful, because as I said; it's very easy to conceal, especially with your body. You can often times serve and cover the ball with your body without knowing it, so just keep that in mind.

Reactions: Ahmad Arnous
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well he uses the tomahawk/reverse/punch/kick/hook/*insert more names* serve. Wang Hao also used this serve with his penhold grip. Par Gerell's serve is effective for a couple of reasons. Number 1: he's a left hander and number 2: it's an unusual/uncommon serve. But the main reason is because it is illegal and he hides the ball. No surprise. I mean there is some leeway given because of the other two factors, but it is mainly due to the fact that it is illegal. It's not some god-send serve or anything.

To actually answer your question, he uses sidespin and sidespin-backspin I'm guessing. Easy to do and disguise since you only need a change in the racket angle. Good serve to use just because it's fairly uncommon. Hit the ball on the back and you'll get sidespin. Hide the ball underneath/on the bottom and you'll get some backspin. It is limited by its amount of spin but it's very easy to conceal and that's what makes it effective (even though it's illegal). The spin does cause it to come to your forehand on a straight contact and it's a good chance of pace serve. Just be careful, because as I said; it's very easy to conceal, especially with your body. You can often times serve and cover the ball with your body without knowing it, so just keep that in mind.

Interesting post, and I found that claim especially interesting. What do you mean?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
NL, is there any decent footage of Brett doing his punch serve and showing different spin variations. My memory is, with his punch serve it is very hard to see when he makes it topspin or backspin and he varies the spin effortlessly. To see the difference you need to watch a lot of times to see the slight differences that make one top and another back. Which makes a punch serve very good for deception. Even with a clear view of the serve it is still very hard to see the nuanced differences.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
NL, is there any decent footage of Brett doing his punch serve and showing different spin variations. My memory is, with his punch serve it is very hard to see when he makes it topspin or backspin and he varies the spin effortlessly. To see the difference you need to watch a lot of times to see the slight differences that make one top and another back. Which makes a punch serve very good for deception. Even with a clear view of the serve it is still very hard to see the nuanced differences.

None of the footage is public. The TTEdge app does have his serve tho.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews

There is, but its a membership video.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, he is pretty good at making them look really close to the same and he can get topspin and backspin where you really have had to watch the serve a lot to see the tells and know the difference. It is a very good serve for deception and changing spins.

Reactions: NextLevel
I agree. The reason I wondered about pingpongdong's statement is that my punch serve is my spinniest serve. So spinny I am often afraid to play behind it and do not serve it.

To be fair, I can't exactly comment on it properly (which I should have said). I haven't really used the punch serve extensively. I'll give it some testing when I'm having a hit next and come back and tell you my thoughts. I honestly just remembered it being not as spinny as the pendulum serve when I tested it a few months ago, which is probably due to me if anything.