Tearing my hair out with OX rubber

says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
Having real trouble trying to fix textile backed OX short pimple rubber to my blade. The water based glue that I use for normal sponge rubbers doesn't seem to hold; the rubbers just curl up at the edges. I've now ruined a rubber because all the glue won't come off the back so that I can start from scratch...and when I reapply new glue it goes all lumpy over the old glue and the uneven spread of glue then leads to bumps on the underside and the rubber not lying flat on the blade. Is there a different type of glue you're supposed to use for these rubbers or should I be using the sticky plastic glue sheets? Really frustrated as I now have a brand-new rubber that's only fit for the rubbish bin.

thanks

stuart

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
If you have enough patience you could clear the rubber from the glue but it's not fun at all :)
As an OX user I found out that not all water based glues are strong enough for gluing OX pimples. For example Revolution #3 wasn't strong enough for me and the Yasaka Norisuke san worked just fine. All in all I think you need a stronger glue for the OX pimples. Or try a glue sheet but it's not the same :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
If you have enough patience you could clear the rubber from the glue but it's not fun at all :)
As an OX user I found out that not all water based glues are strong enough for gluing OX pimples. For example Revolution #3 wasn't strong enough for me and the Yasaka Norisuke san worked just fine. All in all I think you need a stronger glue for the OX pimples. Or try a glue sheet but it's not the same :)

Interesting, Revo 3 worked for me even with one layer. I didn't cared about the quality of the glueing, because that bat is just for training people against pips and the OX rubber was damaged, but it worked pretty well?!?
I would go for the glue sheet.

says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
Jan 2013
Having real trouble trying to fix textile backed OX short pimple rubber to my blade. The water based glue that I use for normal sponge rubbers doesn't seem to hold; the rubbers just curl up at the edges. I've now ruined a rubber because all the glue won't come off the back so that I can start from scratch...and when I reapply new glue it goes all lumpy over the old glue and the uneven spread of glue then leads to bumps on the underside and the rubber not lying flat on the blade. Is there a different type of glue you're supposed to use for these rubbers or should I be using the sticky plastic glue sheets? Really frustrated as I now have a brand-new rubber that's only fit for the rubbish bin.

thanks stuart
Which glue did you use? You didn't actually say :eek:
I always use the thinner glues, those that come in the little 25g bottle with the sponge on top, like Donic Formula, Xiom I-bond, etc. These are quite strong, and thin enough so that no lumps show through for OX rubbers. I use a couple of layers on both the blade and rubber.