What has contributed to your game development ?

This user has no status.
What has contributed to your game development ?

I'm intrigued as to what has contributed to the development of people's game in their own opinion. There's no right or wrong answer as it's purely subjective. These are my numbers / areas of constribution as I see it:
50% Top level coaching
15% Increasing fitness /aerobic capacity
12% Playing competitive matches
8% Observational learning / match visualisation (closely watching / studying top players matches either live or on video)
7% Stroke practice solo / against robot
3% Playing practice matches
2% Stroke practice with partner
2% Other sports psychological techniques
1% Reading instructional books / articles
Although I'm still very much a novice, it's clear from the above, my playing ability would be nowhere near my present standard had I not had the expert coaching I've had over the past nine months.
Please comment with percentages for your own game.

Reactions: Siva Schopenhauer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
50% Coaching
25% Practice
15% Tournaments and the local league
10% YouTube

But...

This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
50% Coaching
25% Practice
15% Tournaments and the local league
10% YouTube

But...

This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

I just wanted to post that video!! :D haha

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
One of the things that to me seems is being left out or way underrated is simply

Time/Brain Processing/learning to assimilate/

I don't know what the right term is for what I am talking about. But there is stuff that I used to not be able to see that I now can see. I did not necessarily understand that I couldn't see certain things. But over time, as my brain wraps itself around the technicals of seeing the spin on the ball more accurately, faster, I get better. Some of it seems to happen when I am not playing or even thinking about TT.

In some post in a different thread I said something like: from a scientific standpoint it has to do with myelin growing thicker around certain neurons.

That won't happen without practice. Probably watching matches, both live and on YouTube, actually helps that process.

But there is a giant part of improving that actually has to do with your brain and nervous system wrapping itself around what is actually happening.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Practice
Coaching
Not being afraid of failing on using new techniques/strokes.

5% - Athleticism (if you are already a top-notch athlete, another sport should be an easy transition). Note: I don't fall into this category
10% - Willingness to learn (listening, watching, taking notes)
25% - practicing strokes and plays. striving to improve oneself
25% - practicing serves
25% - learning from game play with a human (robots can't fulfill this learning). Not just game play, but learning from it
10% - coaching (could be a top-level coach, or an experienced player giving tips
1% - taking notes (if you don't take written notes, do you have store that info in memory?)

I need to put in a disclaimer, in that I'm still learning this game and don't have all the answers

I left out equipment as I've seen it demonstrated that it doesn't really matter. Let me provide you with some real examples:
1-A player I play with on Tues/Thurs won this years Cary cup 'C' division with an olde Primorac CPen blade and 2 year old rubbers. He's been playing for 20+ years and can take any piece of equipment and make it work
2-another (CPEN) player I play with on Tues/Thurs has a $5 racket with the cheapest RITC rubbers (one of the pre-mades). And he's among our top players. He won our 2016 Chinese New Year tournament.
Clear examples that you don't need expensive equipment to be good and win. You have to know your capabilities