How to get doublebounce spinny backhand, forehand like Tiago Aplonia away from table

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hi guys, Today I tried the spinny loops away from the table taking the ideas of legends like Tiago and Maze, End result was unsatisfactory. How to work on this technique?

I am able to get only one bounce curvy topspins. But, the trajectory seems very high and with less topspin

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
That's backspin on the ball, isn't it? I'd imagine if you just aim it right on the edge and put enough spin on it, it'll float and skip.

Don't ask me how exactly you're gonna accomplish it though. Having the touch of a pro player probably helps.

Actually, if you see those forehand floats it seems to me they are topspin. Got confused seeing that, i have tried it for last two days couldn't even get close to do them normally let alone perform them under the legs :(

says what [IMG]
I've hit double bounce shots around the net and admittedly onto my own side when screwing around, and they were indeed topspin opposed to backspin. But those were performed from over the table and close to it at a pretty low speed. The ball basically dropped down from the racket.

The only way I think you could get a ball to arc up, and then skip like that is backspin. So maybe try backspin instead of topspin.

The shot I the video above has a huge amount of sidespin which is actually more than the topspin on the ball thus keeping the ball trajectory low allowing for the double bounce.

The best way to perform this shot is to concentrate on brushing the ball with majority amount of spin over speed it is very hard just like any other shot cannot be mastered in a couple of hours if you practice this for a month hour everyday then your success rate might increase by 10%.

Also this shot isn't really needed in your collection of shots simply because there is a very small chance that you will be put in that position where that shot is your best option - but it is a fun trick shot to learn [emoji2][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well guys, it is definitely sidespin, but it is definitely topspin. But that is not how he gets it to bounce more than once.

You guys need to open your eyes. First look at the height and arc of the ones that bounce ONLY ONCE. The ones that bounce more than once are the same spin and would have the same arc. But their height is different. Regardless of the spin, for you to get a shot like that to double bounce or roll, you have to have the ball land on the table at very close to the height of the table.

The ones that single bounce land from about net height which I think is about 15.25cm 152.5mm or about 6 inches. The ones that double bounce or roll land from about 3mm or less.

That is how you do that. PRECISION. You have to be seriously good to have that kind of accuracy on those shots. You can't really fake it.

You can practice this from self hitting. But that is not actually doing it. Try to practice it from someone feeding you the ball like in the video.

Reactions: BeGo and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Carl, it is not topspin as in real topspin. Any topspin on that ball comes from table grip and not the stroke.

You are right that the ball needs to come in at close to table height to have a better chance of skidding. It also has to be sidespin mostly (not deviation or corkscrew but more lateral where the ball's axis runs from top to bottom). If you add vertical kick to that ball, it will tend to roll forward. Backspin could work but the float would make the trajectory harder to control.

And do you really think that Tiago practiced that shot without self hitting in the beginning? :p

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
NextLevel, look at the ones that bounce. Look at the arc. It is simply the same spin. And the spin actually doesn't matter. Yes, it has side. But it also has some top. And if it was that low, even when it kicks, it would not change anything because it is so low. And some of them do roll.

The guy is good. Maybe he practiced from self hitting or not. I don't think it matters. But, in case you missed it, my actual point was, making a video and calling it "Crazy Siva Goes Around the Net, Between the Legs, Double Bounce vs Tiago Apolonia" from self hit would be idiotic.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
NextLevel, look at the ones that bounce. Look at the arc. It is simply the same spin. And the spin actually doesn't matter. Yes, it has side. But it also has some top. And if it was that low, even when it kicks, it would not change anything because it is so low. And some of them do roll.

The guy is good. Maybe he practiced from self hitting or not. I don't think it matters. But, in case you missed it, my actual point was, making a video and calling it "Crazy Siva Goes Around the Net, Between the Legs, Double Bounce vs Tiago Apolonia" from self hit would be idiotic.

Carl, it is not idiotic. In fact, I think you fail to appreciate Siva's Indian heritage and his usage of Jugaad. Since I come from Nigeria originally, I understand the use of contraptions to make do when you cannot have the ideal setup. This is a running theme through his videos and coaching and practice etc. He cannot find someone to feed him so he feeds himself and does his best to simulate what a pro who has a semi pro feeding him does. I find the effort laudable and do not see what is wrong with the comparison. We could simply insert an invisible "poor man's" before his video to get an idea of what is driving all this.

Now like this post or I will fight you for not liking my brilliant analysis of what drives the great innovator imitator.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl, it is not idiotic. In fact, I think you fail to appreciate Siva's Indian heritage and his usage of Jugaad. Since I come from Nigeria originally, I understand the use of contraptions to make do when you cannot have the ideal setup. This is a running theme through his videos and coaching and practice etc. He cannot find someone to feed him so he feeds himself and does his best to simulate what a pro who has a semi pro feeding him does. I find the effort laudable and do not see what is wrong with the comparison. We could simply insert an invisible "poor man's" before his video to get an idea of what is driving all this.

Now like this post or I will fight you for not liking my brilliant analysis of what drives the great innovator imitator.

Yep. I think that just about sums it up.

"Crazy Siva's Around the Net Between the Legs Double Bounce vs Tiago Apolonia (Poor Man's Iteration)"

I think you may have read my mind.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yep. I think that just about sums it up.

"Crazy Siva's Around the Net Between the Legs Double Bounce vs Tiago Apolonia (Poor Man's Iteration)"

I think you may have read my mind.

Yes, I guess our only difference of opinion is whether the poor man's copy is laudable or not.

Reactions: ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
For practice, totally worth doing. For comparing to something where someone is responding to a ball coming at him, not so useful.

I did learn to go around the net from a feed. Because Edmund is who he is, I was trying when my loop totally sucked. The idea was always an attempt to have it low enough to roll. I think it can be learned with a self hit or a good feed. Doesn't matter to me which one you would prefer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
For practice, totally worth doing. For comparing to something where someone is responding to a ball coming at him, not so useful.

I did learn to go around the net from a feed. Because Edmund is who he is, I was trying when my loop totally sucked. The idea was always an attempt to have it low enough to roll. I think it can be learned with a self hit or a good feed. Doesn't matter to me which one you would prefer.

Only because you have no serious love for Jugaad! You need more innovation in your life, Carl. You need to fall in love with the poor man's version of these things. Aren't you from America where we try to do things for ourselves? Surely, feeding your self is better than being fed by someone else?