Hip sway back and forth during forehand

says what [IMG]
On a counterhit/block? This is news to me. Feel free to post the right motion and explain the dangers of this motion.
I am also intrigued. If a video won't do, then a short written description would be fine.

Admittedly, because I made this thread, I'm not an expert on body mechanics and there's a lot I could learn, so I'm not going to disagree or agree necessarily. Some basis would be nice to clarify the claim.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Sure-

A CH/B is basically a mini/micro weight shift plus hip extension and rotation, in essence a scaled down drive or loop. Basically you pushing forward Slightly with your right leg and opening at the right hip as you stroke the ball.

So to me your hip is just swinging around but there is no drive from the right leg and hip as such that your arm and body look disconnected, which is were my comment about no support from the body comes in. Though one caveat I will make is that often people don't ghost the same movement that they use when they actually hit a ball.

Some vid examples-

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay Archo, NextLevel already hinted at this. The main issue here is, you need to be hitting a real ball.

You can get better by practicing shadow strokes. But you can't correct the form of your actual stroke (the stroke you use when you are hitting a real ball) by looking at the way you do a shadow stroke. You need to see real strokes and analyze them. Because real strokes will usually be different than what you do when you shadow stroke. The reason is that with a real stroke you have to track and intercept the ball so you are adjusting to each separate ball. With shadow strokes you don't need to adjust to the incoming ball.

Reactions: JeffM
says what [IMG]
Thanks for the reply V-Griper.

So that's it? I was avoiding pushing off excessively because these are not loops. In my loops, I have adequate hip extension and uncoiling.

I suppose there needs to be hip extension to get the legs into it even in a drive. Somehow I think the ball would go into the net if you don't include the legs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Instead of obsessing over this when you can't even play right now, go do some weightlifting or at least bodyweight training. Trying to fix a small error with shadowstrokes seems insane to me. Get a coach and be at a table if you want to actually fix the issue you think you are having.