Ask Panagiotis Gionis a question on the TTD podcast!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Hi everyone,

One of our next guests on the TableTennisDaily Podcast is world number 26 Panagiotis Gionis! Last season Gionis played for Borussia Dusseldorf in the German Bundesliga alongside Timo Boll. Gionis is a defensive player who has represented Greece at 3 Olympic Games and has played many World and European Championships. A little fact: Panagiotis is a dentist.

Simply submit your question below! We will do our best to feature your question in the podcast!

panagiotisgionis2016.jpg

Panagiotis Gionis - Photo by: Alex Lomaev

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I'd like to ask him to rate the teeth of the top ten pros out of ten.

;)

Ah, well actually - is he still a full-time dentist, and how hard does he find it to balance his TT with his tooth-related career?

Also, how does he feel about the plastic ball - specifically its effect on defensive players? And on a similar subject, what his thoughts are on a potential increase in net height, as a defender?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 4 reviews
Ah, well actually - is he still a full-time dentist, and how hard does he find it to balance his TT with his tooth-related career?

Also, how does he feel about the plastic ball - specifically its effect on defensive players? And on a similar subject, what his thoughts are on a potential increase in net height, as a defender?

I am interested too about it !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
A fun fact: in Bulgaria( where I'm from :) ) the pimpled rubbers are called 'teeth'. So we play here not with long pips, but with long teeth.

and the question is:
Does he think that with the new balls he's counterattacks became easier to handle for the opponents?

Reactions: dio_hgw and eyepop
A few questions, feel free to pick and choose (if any at all).

How has it been playing as a chopper in Europe, a place so devoid of choppers?

What made you want to become a chopper?

Has the plastic ball affected you in a good or bad way? If so, how?

Do you think the number of choppers has decreased, increased or stayed about the same over your career?

Who is the one player you have struggled with the most?

How do you find a player that is suitable to become a chopper? What special characteristics do they need to have and what do you look for?

What are some tips you have for choppers?

What has been your greatest achievement?

Who is the best chopper in your opinion? Is there anyone you particularly look up to?

What is your biggest oral hygiene tip?

Reactions: Tembel and Suga D
You rarely chop on your forehand. How do you make those fishes (or slow guiding topspins) from getting killed by your opponents?

When playing distance defense with your forehand, how do you deal with shots that are more spinny than fast?

I also noticed you rarely twiddle. When given underspin to your backhand long pips, what are you doing with those balls? It looks as if you push the underspin with the LPs, which usually sends back a no-spin ball. But when I do that, I often get those killed. Advice?

How do you deal with dead balls to your LP?

Why do you prefer a standard sized blade over a larger faced defensive blade?

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I would like to know if he follows Greek table tennis leagues and also what is his opinion on the current state and the future of Greek table tennis.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

He knows what happens in the leagues but he and kreanga dont even play in any of the greek championships. And why should they the level is too low for them and the money are a joke

My question is
: What he would do if he was a personal coach of Giannis Sgouropoulos? Everybody in Greece are enthusiastic with his talent, shouldnt he be searching for foreign clubs/ already?

long story short : What does he thinks sgouropoulos should do right now? stay in greece for a few years and then train abroad or chase a contract with a european club to develop faster?

Last edited: