Nexy Karis rubber first impressions

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
So I've been using the Karis M on my forehand for 3 weeks. General impressions so far:

The good:

1. As Der Echte said: You can vary your opening topspin quite a bit. You can go for the slow spinny one or a hard opening, depending on the situation.

2. Serves are pretty solid. Not as much spin as with other rubbers but because the catapult is not that high, you can dig into the ball and get some decent spin and spin variation as the ball won't drift that long.

3. Over the table game is quite good but I felt that the rubber performed best 2-3 steps back from the table. I could topspin with great consistency. Blocking is pretty good and I could counter-topspin pretty easily.

The bad:

1. Performance has tapered off pretty quickly for some reason. I will reglue and see if things improve. I do believe that I glued it properly as my backhand rubber is holding up pretty well. The rubber is not biting the ball as well as it did on day one.

2. Yes, the marketing has truth behind it in that the rubber is linear but I didn't find it any more linear than say a Xiom Vega Pro. Perhaps the harder version would give you more linearity.

3. I still prefer the Vega Pro and I used my backup blade during my last training. I find the Vega Pro better while opening up against backspin (more spin and safety). I can serve and receive better with the Vega Pro but that could also be because I've been using this rubber for a while. The only thing that the Karis M has over the Vega Pro is that it is not as spin-sensitive while blocking.

4. I think the price is a bit too high. Original price without discounts is 50 Euros and I feel that you can get similar, if not better performance with the Vega Pro depending on your playing style.

I do like the rubber but I still prefer the Vega Pro.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
So I've been using the Karis M on my forehand for 3 weeks. General impressions so far:

The good:

1. As Der Echte said: You can vary your opening topspin quite a bit. You can go for the slow spinny one or a hard opening, depending on the situation.

2. Serves are pretty solid. Not as much spin as with other rubbers but because the catapult is not that high, you can dig into the ball and get some decent spin and spin variation as the ball won't drift that long.

3. Over the table game is quite good but I felt that the rubber performed best 2-3 steps back from the table. I could topspin with great consistency. Blocking is pretty good and I could counter-topspin pretty easily.

The bad:

1. Performance has tapered off pretty quickly for some reason. I will reglue and see if things improve. I do believe that I glued it properly as my backhand rubber is holding up pretty well. The rubber is not biting the ball as well as it did on day one.

2. Yes, the marketing has truth behind it in that the rubber is linear but I didn't find it any more linear than say a Xiom Vega Pro. Perhaps the harder version would give you more linearity.

3. I still prefer the Vega Pro and I used my backup blade during my last training. I find the Vega Pro better while opening up against backspin (more spin and safety). I can serve and receive better with the Vega Pro but that could also be because I've been using this rubber for a while. The only thing that the Karis M has over the Vega Pro is that it is not as spin-sensitive while blocking.

4. I think the price is a bit too high. Original price without discounts is 50 Euros and I feel that you can get similar, if not better performance with the Vega Pro depending on your playing style.

I do like the rubber but I still prefer the Vega Pro.

Thanks for sharing your unbiased impressions, Anchorschmidt.

Oh yeah :cool:

IMG_2379.jpg

First impressions of Karis M on Nexy Kanaph blade: really good :) Great angles I could find.
I thought it would be a bit too slow for my FH but this new sheet is definitively as fast as the quite used MX-P I am currently playing with.
With Nexy Elpis on BH, it was a complete Nexy setup.
Next steps: impressions on my superb CCA Unlimited blade.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I changed my setup recently , from my Hurricane 8 on Forehand , MX-P on backhand to Karis H on forehand and Karis M on backhand on my regular ZJK ALC blade. Der_echte was kind enough to set me up with them . I have played around 4 - 6 hours on this setup and here are my first impressions ...
Karis H :

Karis H is definitely harder and faster than Karis M . Infact, it felt like exactly like what a harder and faster Karis M would feel like . Its linear , low throw and hard. If you take a compact swing and connect properly you can blow it past your opponent. I was able to do this consistently yesterday when I kept serving no spin or corkscrew to my opponent and made a third ball attack. Countering topspins are easy and there is no surprise or rather if you compare with other non-tacky modern rubber, its surprising how you can predictably counter fast loops , you won't get the feeling that you made the correct swing and failed because of catapult .
Even though its not known for its spin, I was able to extract spinny loops from it and even blew a few over the table loops past my opponent when I made the right footwork and followed through with the stroke. My partner was very surprised that I was able to make that stroke on a fairly fast , low and barely half long side spin serve .
On short balls , of course its not a exact replacement of Hurricane or tacky chinese rubbers but I believe it won't be as bouncy as tenergy 05 and should be easier to control . The flicks, when I was in time and did the correct form just blew past my opponent.

Karis M :

Changing from MX-P to Karis M took a little adjustment. I was not as good on my backhand as I would like to be on the first day, mainly because I was playing with MX-P and then tenergy 05 on Samsonov Alpha when I ruined my main setup.
However, yesterday and that was my second day with Karis M , I was almost 80-90% back to what I could do with MX-P and I think it would just become better from here. I could make enough spin on my banana or just plain flicks and topsin loops . Blocking with both M and H was not difficult at all and pretty comfortable.

Summary : I am going to stick to this setup for the time being. the plan is to experiment a little bit with boosting on a Provincial Hurricane 3 on my Long 5 for a bit to figure out what I want for my FH , Boosted H3, H8 or Karis H. Will keep the crew posted ...

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I also had to make some adjustments to Karis M on my BH (compared to MX-P or T05) but now I love it. I would say it took me a full month to really regain the power on that side. In contrast to someone else, my sheets of Karis M are holding their performance remarkably well. I won't know for a long time if this is typical. I no longer feel like this stuff is slow or lacking in spin, probably because my technique has adjusted in several ways. I like it more than ever. (I am using it on a Viscaria).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Baal , you are probably a higher level player than me , but my initial impression is that the shots that need adjusting are the autopilot shots that we are used to get from Tenergy 05 / MX-P , ie. some of the strokes where the correct form/footwork is not there and still because of the catapult we are able to make a fairly powerful stroke. So my hope is that this will help my backhand like Hurricane helped my forehand , and I will be able to learn better technique and form on my backhand strokes. My friend did remark that initially he was having trouble blocking my loop/loop drives because they were more powerful compared to my old MX-P , probably my MX-P had gone dead in places or may be Karis M rewards good strokes better than MX-P does ...

I also had to make some adjustments to Karis M on my BH (compared to MX-P or T05) but now I love it. I would say it took me a full month to really regain the power on that side. In contrast to someone else, my sheets of Karis M are holding their performance remarkably well. I won't know for a long time if this is typical. I no longer feel like this stuff is slow or lacking in spin, probably because my technique has adjusted in several ways. I like it more than ever. (I am using it on a Viscaria).

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
My BH can use anything so where I struggled with Karis was really on the forehand loop spin. But what I realized over time was that my contact depth could be much deeper than I originally realized, and I like deep contact depth, since I used Big Dipper for a few months while rebuilding my strokes.

I have a sheet of Karis H and I was reticent to use it, but I think I will glue it up after I get home from the league and try it out on Thursday. I now have two copies of my favorite blade (KJH) and I am willing to buy one more so I can EJ more comfortably.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Never change those sheets. I changed mine and I wish I never had, so I am no changing the current ones until something forces me to.

Reactions: Baal and ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I also did not find that Karis M is slow or lacking in spin , I think its more a case of engaging the sponge. People who are familiar with how that works should be able to find more gears and work the variations ..
Never change those sheets. I changed mine and I wish I never had, so I am no changing the current ones until something forces me to.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
one thing I forgot to mention is and that is entirely based on my perception , I did not measure the weights , I feel like weight of Karis H + Karis M > weight of DHS Hurricane 8 Mid Soft + MXP . The reason is, my wrist gave some signals and also I hit some edgeballs and felt the weight might be the reason, again this is my feeling. If somebody can put the stats this will be answered. But again I felt the weight is not so much high that I won't be able to adjust , may be in a couple of days ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Ya but I am not handy and/or brave enough to open the ZJK ALC and put some nails in there :) .. my body will adjust or rather it has already adjusted ... did not feel any pain on the third day ...
I will bet lunch the handles of the blade I glued your Karis onto are hollow. I am 50/50 about the neck.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
So, NL. Do you have the impression that far from degrading with use that Karis M almost gets better over time? I am starting to suspect it. Or maybe that it has a fairly extended break-in period?