Back to Forum

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the Rio Olympics 2016?

Voters
2001. This poll is closed
  • Ma Long

    1,252 62.57%
  • Zhang Jike

    517 25.84%
  • Dimitirj Ovtcharov

    61 3.05%
  • Jun Mizutani

    22 1.10%
  • Chuang Chih Yuan

    5 0.25%
  • Wong Chun Ting

    6 0.30%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

    74 3.70%
  • Jeoung Youngsik

    13 0.65%
  • Marcos Freitas

    28 1.40%
  • Other (Post Below)

    23 1.15%
Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960
Results 1,181 to 1,197 of 1197
  1. Michal_Z is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,278 3,072
    Michal_Z's Avatar
    Michal_Z is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,072 1,278
    #1181
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper
    LOL .. I never noticed him in there!
    I always stared at the women, thinking of who she might be..

  2. Michal_Z is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,278 3,072
    Michal_Z's Avatar
    Michal_Z is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,072 1,278
    #1182
    Quote Originally Posted by karibaci
    really? well... you're right - yes it says a lot. But what TV was it? Did you mean our national TV?

    It was our official online stream..


    Here: http://rtvs.sk/rio2016/live/1

  3. Michal_Z is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,278 3,072
    Michal_Z's Avatar
    Michal_Z is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,072 1,278
    #1183
    Quote Originally Posted by BoRSaCi
    I think you need VPN in Turkey.

    Vladimir Samsonov vs Zhang Jike Rio 2016 Semi final (Full Match HD)


    Ma Long - Jun Mizutani Rio 2016 - Semi Final (Full match HD)
    This is great!
    And they have more videos in the archive, thanks

  4. MaLongPower is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 130 54
    M
    MaLongPower is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 54 130
    #1184

    Ovtcharov: "The full focus is now on the team"

    My latest translated article on TTD. Ovtcharov: "The full focus is now on the team" http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/fo...m-Event-In-Rio!

    The Following 4 Users Like MaLongPower's Post:

    eyepop, Ilia Minkin and 2 others

    Last edited by MaLongPower; 08-13-2016 at 02:19 PM.
    Control your emotions ->control the game!

  5. UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 15,764 14,155
    UpSideDownCarl's Avatar
    UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 14,155 15,764
    #1185
    Quote Originally Posted by steffi
    Article in the nytimes talking about the players disatisfaction with the DHS balls in Rio.
    Quote Originally Posted by TTFrenzy
    please provide! any kind of information about olympics (especially "backstage" incidents) is always interesting
    Here is the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/13/sp...one-share&_r=0

    The New York Times article has various interviews with players about the plastic ball problems in Rio including Gionis Panagioitis, Timo Boll, Li Ping,

    Li Ping who quotes, "I think this ball is very bad,”

    Timo Boll quotes, “I think many players are complaining because we have better balls, there are better balls on the market”

    Panagiotis Gionis quotes, "This is not good; this is unprofessional,”

    The article finished with Timo Boll expressing, “I’m sure they want to produce now a better ball because they’re getting a lot of criticism,” Boll said. “It would have been nice if it was before the Olympic Games.”.

    The Following 4 Users Like UpSideDownCarl's Post:

    MaLongPower, Michal_Z and 2 others

    Last edited by UpSideDownCarl; 08-13-2016 at 03:04 PM.
    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

  6. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,358 9,052
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,052 13,358

    User Info Menu

    #1186
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLongPower

    (TL-Note: The german sports system is really harsh. If they don t achieve at least 1 medal the budget cut is serious. The future is also not bright. In 2020 pretty much only Ovcharov is strong enough to be able to win a medal. 2024 is going to be even worse depending on how much of a force Ovcharov still is. But there are promising talents for 2028 or maybe some other player step up thier game at lot but i doubt that. So it would be really important for the future of german table tennis to win a medal in the team competition)
    I wish more people appreciated this when saying things like there should be 3 Chinese in the Olympics singles.

    The Following 3 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

    anchorschmidt, eyepop and 1 other

    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  7. eyepop is offline
    says This user has a status.
     
    Established TTD Member 94 109
    eyepop's Avatar
    eyepop is offline
    says This user has a status.
     
    Established TTD Member 109 94
    #1187
    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel
    I wish more people appreciated this when saying things like there should be 3 Chinese in the Olympics singles.
    I wasn't aware of that fact. Actually, I've learned a lot since I started participating in this forum more actively.
    Still, knowing the outcome of this year's singles event, participation of 3 Chinese players wouldn't change the fact that 2 German top players were eliminated by non-Chinese, right?
    Anyway, I really hope Germans win a medal, if only for the sake of German table tennis.

    The Following 2 Users Like eyepop's Post:

    anchorschmidt and TTFrenzy


  8. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,358 9,052
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,052 13,358

    User Info Menu

    #1188
    Quote Originally Posted by eyepop
    I wasn't aware of that fact. Actually, I've learned a lot since I started participating in this forum more actively.
    Still, knowing the outcome of this year's singles event, participation of 3 Chinese players wouldn't change the fact that 2 German top players were eliminated by non-Chinese, right?
    Anyway, I really hope Germans win a medal, if only for the sake of German table tennis.
    Which is why other countries like Germany have thin room for error. The people who do Olympic budgeting don't look at those details. They just say that there is no medal so they cut the budget. I remember them refusing to send Germans in tennis because they didn't expect medals.
    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  9. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,405 3,489
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,489 2,405

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    3,489
    2,405
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #1189
    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel
    Which is why other countries like Germany have thin room for error. The people who do Olympic budgeting don't look at those details. They just say that there is no medal so they cut the budget. I remember them refusing to send Germans in tennis because they didn't expect medals.
    That is why I say, limiting Chinese is not solving your problem out, is it?
    Chinese from 3 to 2, 2 to 1, or simply Chinese don't play TT any more, Will NOT solve world table tennis problem which is all based on a national TT body problem from foundation level.

    If Germany only rely on less Chinese playing to get a medal, then simply Germany is not improving.
    It should rather be, bring on all Chinese, and Germany can win Gold
    This should be the focus, not limiting them.

    For the sake of Olympic Medals, I truly believe table tennis is big enough of a sport to have more than 4 gold medals.
    This should be the solution (not making it less).
    I recall it was 5 Gold before with 2 x Singles, 2 x Doubles and 1 x mixed doubles.
    I think it should be 7 Gold medals, with the above 5 and adding the teams in.
    This should help the sport and medal count

    The Following 2 Users Like Tony's Table Tennis's Post:

    eyepop and Ilia Minkin

    BYE BYE

  10. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,358 9,052
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,052 13,358

    User Info Menu

    #1190
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis
    That is why I say, limiting Chinese is not solving your problem out, is it?
    Chinese from 3 to 2, 2 to 1, or simply Chinese don't play TT any more, Will NOT solve world table tennis problem which is all based on a national TT body problem from foundation level.

    If Germany only rely on less Chinese playing to get a medal, then simply Germany is not improving.
    It should rather be, bring on all Chinese, and Germany can win Gold
    This should be the focus, not limiting them.

    For the sake of Olympic Medals, I truly believe table tennis is big enough of a sport to have more than 4 gold medals.
    This should be the solution (not making it less).
    I recall it was 5 Gold before with 2 x Singles, 2 x Doubles and 1 x mixed doubles.
    I think it should be 7 Gold medals, with the above 5 and adding the teams in.
    This should help the sport and medal count
    Whatever event you create, you have to limit the number of national entries into it. If creating more events allows for that sure. But it solved the problem in 2012 for Ovtcharov and in 2016 for Mizutani. Anyone who is pretending it did not solve the problem is just trying to be blind. The problem is not playing TT more. The problem is budgeting tied to Olympic performance. Other events do it as well.
    Last edited by NextLevel; 08-13-2016 at 10:03 PM.
    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  11. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,405 3,489
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,489 2,405

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    3,489
    2,405
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #1191
    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel
    Whatever event you create, you have to limit the number of national entries into it. If creating more events allows for that sure. But it solved the problem in 2012 for Ovtcharov and in 2016 for Mizutani. Anyone who is pretending it did not solve the problem is just trying to be blind. The problem is not playing TT more. The problem is budgeting tied to Olympic performance. Other events do it as well.
    Trying to solve the solution by limiting your opponents to face you is blind in the brain.
    It is running away from the fact that you are simply not good enough to face competition.
    The earlier people realize this, the sooner there will be a solution

    Remember, table tennis is table tennis
    Olympic is just a tournament
    How was life prior 88?
    In many sporting codes, Olympic did not showcase the top players.
    Some don't want to go
    Some are too pro to go (as Olympic is more for amateurs), some are too old to take part (U23 in football)

    If your country only relies on NOC budget for table tennis, then trust me, your country is screwed for sure

    How my brain works does differ to yours.
    I see Football not in the Olympics, and they are the biggest sports.
    I see Basketball not really fun in the Olympics, but they have NBA
    I see baseball no where in the Olympics, but there are lots of pro leagues in the world
    Olympic to me is not the saviour to table tennis, but its rules will hurt the sport

    The Following 4 Users Like Tony's Table Tennis's Post:

    eyepop, htfu and 2 others

    Last edited by Tony's Table Tennis; 08-13-2016 at 10:18 PM.
    BYE BYE

  12. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,358 9,052
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,052 13,358

    User Info Menu

    #1192
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis
    Trying to solve the solution by limiting your opponents to face you is blind in the brain.
    It is running away from the fact that you are simply not good enough to face competition.
    The earlier people realize this, the sooner there will be a solution

    Remember, table tennis is table tennis
    Olympic is just a tournament
    How was life prior 88?
    In many sporting codes, Olympic did not showcase the top players.
    Some don't want to go
    Some are too pro to go (as Olympic is more for amateurs), some are too old to take part (U23 in football)

    If your country only relies on NOC budget for table tennis, then trust me, your country is screwed for sure

    How my brain works does differ to yours.
    I see Football not in the Olympics, and they are the biggest sports.
    I see Basketball not really fun in the Olympics, but they have NBA
    I see baseball no where in the Olympics, but there are lots of pro leagues in the world
    Olympic to me is not the saviour to table tennis, but its rules will hurt the sport
    Sure, because you are always thinking about China. All the American sports you listed are team sports where there is only one country per sport (by the way, they would all love to be in the Olympics). In just about every individual sport out there, there is a limit of some kind on individual participants once the medals are dominated by a single country. Table tennis is no different. You don't need an Olympic event to save you, but it gives people a chance to see events they don't look at all the time, especially when their country advances deep and has a chance to medal.
    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  13. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,405 3,489
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,489 2,405

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    3,489
    2,405
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #1193
    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel
    Sure, because you are always thinking about China. All the American sports you listed are team sports where there is only one country per sport (by the way, they would all love to be in the Olympics). In just about every individual sport out there, there is a limit of some kind on individual participants once the medals are dominated by a single country. Table tennis is no different. You don't need an Olympic event to save you, but it gives people a chance to see events they don't look at all the time, especially when their country advances deep and has a chance to medal.
    I am always thinking about China - no you are wrong again
    Individual Sport limitation - yes you are right, and all other sports are also complaining of this limitation, so this is not unique to table tennis, but a whole problem from IOC vs sporting codes.
    Maybe Olympic should just stop all individuals and just focus on team events for everything, then there is no more argument.
    Honestly speaking, Olympic is just overhype money making tournament.
    Who actually benefits from all these costs?

    Now lets come back to table tennis, if you truly think getting a medal will save table tennis in your country, then you are very wrong.

    Go and look at table tennis history and see all those years of winners and you can understand how table tennis can be strong in all countries,

    My argument stands - If your country only relies on NOC budget for table tennis, then trust me, your country is screwed for sure
    BYE BYE

  14. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,358 9,052
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,052 13,358

    User Info Menu

    #1194
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis
    I am always thinking about China - no you are wrong again
    Individual Sport limitation - yes you are right, and all other sports are also complaining of this limitation, so this is not unique to table tennis, but a whole problem from IOC vs sporting codes.
    Maybe Olympic should just stop all individuals and just focus on team events for everything, then there is no more argument.
    Honestly speaking, Olympic is just overhype money making tournament.
    Who actually benefits from all these costs?

    Now lets come back to table tennis, if you truly think getting a medal will save table tennis in your country, then you are very wrong.

    Go and look at table tennis history and see all those years of winners and you can understand how table tennis can be strong in all countries,

    My argument stands - If your country only relies on NOC budget for table tennis, then trust me, your country is screwed for sure
    The argument is silly. Remove the word "only", and the silliness of the argument reveals itself.
    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  15. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,405 3,489
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,489 2,405

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    3,489
    2,405
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #1195
    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel
    The argument is silly. Remove the word "only", and the silliness of the argument reveals itself.
    If your country relies on NOC budget for table tennis, then trust me, your country is screwed for sure
    equally screwed

    You may think my knowledge and focus is China.
    I coach in South Africa, i'ved coached in Namibia
    I've been to Argentina, Paraguay, Brazil, England, France, Singapore, Hong Kong, Philippines, Taiwan, Australia and i've analysis all the success vs failures for table tennis there, and I see that NOC for table tennis is not the solution for our sport.

    What is your argument on why medal is the solution for table tennis?
    Looking forward to your enlightenment
    BYE BYE

  16. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,358 9,052
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,052 13,358

    User Info Menu

    #1196
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis
    If your country relies on NOC budget for table tennis, then trust me, your country is screwed for sure
    equally screwed

    You may think my knowledge and focus is China.
    I coach in South Africa, i'ved coached in Namibia
    I've been to Argentina, Paraguay, Brazil, England, France, Singapore, Hong Kong, Philippines, Taiwan, Australia and i've analysis all the success vs failures for table tennis there, and I see that NOC for table tennis is not the solution for our sport.

    What is your argument on why medal is the solution for table tennis?
    Looking forward to your enlightenment

    Why a solution? Why not simply a concession to how many countries budget for the Olympics? The biggest stage for TT right now is the Olympics. IT is also true for gymnastics and a host of other events. If you want only teams to play that is fine. If you do not want to make any concessions to the realities of funding, feel free to feel sorry for Xu Xin.
    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  17. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,405 3,489
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,489 2,405

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    3,489
    2,405
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #1197
    Based on your theory NL,
    So 12 medals, say MAX 12 countries can get medals (other than China), you are saying only 12 countries will get good funding for table tennis.
    So what about the other (close to) 200 countries? All screwed?

    And now lets look at the medal countries:
    Nation 1896–1984 88 92 96 00 04 08 12 Total
    China (CHN) 5 6 8 8 6 8 6 47
    Chinese Taipei (TPE) 1 1 2
    Denmark (DEN) 1 1
    France (FRA) 1 1 2
    Germany (GER) 1 1 1 2 5
    Hong Kong (HKG) 1 1
    Japan (JPN) 1 1
    North Korea (PRK) 2 1 3
    Singapore (SIN) 1 2 3
    South Korea (KOR) 4 5 2 1 3 2 1 18
    Sweden (SWE) 1 1 1 3
    Yugoslavia (YUG) 2 2


    Where are they (the country) after they got the medal?

    Look at your team USA for example - how much of everything was based on NOC other than the actual trip to Rio?
    CCY did not rely on NOC of Chinese Taipei to get to where he is today
    JO Waldner and Sweden's success did not rely on Olympic medal
    South Korea's 88 had no olympic medal success prior.

    So your view is totally off if you even ask - how many countries budget for the Olympics.
    It should be how many countries budget for Table Tennis
    And based on the "team sports" I mentioned, table tennis professionally is also a team sport.
    How does your Fifa leagues, NBA, NHL, MLB, Chinese table tennis Super league + Korean Leagues + Japan Leagues + European Super Leagues, all survive? Its called clubs (teams), linked with corporate sponsorship.
    That is how sports work - make it pro and it becomes a career path.

    If you think NOC and IOC is the savoir of making table tennis budget improve, then you are really living in your own fantasy world (and in the way, brainwashed by ITTF to say limiting Chinese chance of medals is the best for the sport). As a person with both parents being doctors of TCM, my view is to fix the root of the problem, not just to address the symptoms. Chinese domination is not the root of the problem, otherwise how did we get pass USA, Sweden, Japanese domination? Today China is dominating, tomorrow it could be Germany, then it could be South Korea....

    NOC and IOC may only benefit a limited (individual) few and that is normally after all the years and money spent on development. So who is going to pay for the development before they have a chance to become title holders? The Olympic Medal?
    In most countries, if your sport has a chance to the medal - the sport federation doesn't necessary benefit, it is the player that benefits. Becoz of a Dima, it won't all of a sudden give all German juniors more funding and even if it does, why can't we make tt become a NBA where each player can fund a whole team based on net worths?
    Last edited by Tony's Table Tennis; 08-14-2016 at 09:56 AM.
    BYE BYE

Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.