Who do you think will win the Rio Olympics 2016?

• Ma Long

Votes: 106 67.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 34 21.5%
  • Dimitirj Ovtcharov

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Jeoung Youngsik

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
--Official Topic For The Singles Event at the Rio Olympics--

Olympic Games 2016, 06 Aug 2016 - 17 Aug 2016, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The most prestigious table tennis event of the year is just around the corner, the Rio Olympics which will see matches take place on the 6th August in the Riocentro Pavillion 3 in Barra de Tijuca. The Olympics is once every four years and is a once in a lifetime experience for players and fans across the world. 2015 World Champion Ma Long leads the men's singles standings followed by London 2012 Olympic Champion Zhang Jike. What a show this is going to be!

Main Draw

Coming soon...

China's Ma Long, the World #1 has entered the Rio Olympics as the #1 seed.

malongkuwaitopen2016.jpg

Ma Long no.1 seed - Photo by: ITTF Flickr

Men's Singles Seeds

dimitrijovtcharovkuwaitopen2016.jpg

Germany's Dimitrij Ovtcharov enters the Rio Olympics as the #3 seed - Photo by: ITTF Flickr

01) Ma Long
02) Zhang Jike
03) Dimitrij Ovtcharov
04) Jun Mizutani
05) Chuang Chih Yuan
06) Wong Chun Ting
07) Vladimir Samsonov
08) Jeoung Youngsik
09) Marcos Freitas
10) Timo Boll
11) Lee Sang Su
12) Tang Peng
13) Tiago Apolonia
14) Simon Gauzy
15) Koki Niwa
16) Andrej Gacina
17) Stefan Fegerl
18) Alexander Shibaev
19) Panagiotis Gionis
20) Kristian Karlsson
21) Li Ping
22) Par Gerell
23) Jonathon Groth
24) Emmanuel Lebesson
25) Chen Chien An
26) Gao Ning
27) Quadri Aruna
28) Omar Assar
29) Kou lei
30) Li Ahmet

Women Singles Seeds

dingningaustria2012champ.jpg

China's Ding Ding enters the Rio Olympics as the #1 seed - Photo by: AP/Sergei Grits

01) Ding Ning
02) Feng Tianwei
03) Li Xiaoxia
04) Kasumi Ishikawa
05) Ai Fukuhara
06) Han Ying
07) Jeon Jihee
08) Cheng I-Ching
09) Yu Mengyu
10) Petrissa Solja
11) Seo Hyowon
12) Li Jie
13) Doo Hoi Kem
14) Hu Melek
15) Lee Ho Ching
16) Liu Jia
17) Yu Fu
18) Eliabeta Samara
19) Li Qian
20) Li Jiao
21) Ri Myong Sun
22) Polina Mikhailova
23) Chen Szu Yu
24) Georgina Pota
25) Li Fen
26) Tetyana Bilenko
27) Yanfel Shen
28) Matilda Ekholm
29) Jieni Shao
30) Li Xue

For full player entries click here.

Schedule

06th August: The Singles Preliminary stages + 1st round matches
07th August: The Singles 2nd and 3rd round
08th August: The Singles 3rd and 4th round
09th August: The Singles Quarter Final Stages
10th August: The Womens Singles Semi Finals, bronze and gold medal match
11th August: The Mens Singles Semi Finals, bronze and gold medal match
12th August: The team event for the Rio Olympics Table Tennis Event begins.

Competition Schedule

Live streaming links coming soon...

Players are now beginning to head to the Olympic Village in Rio. Since London 2012, the best players from all around the globe have been training and preparing intensively. Over the last few months many of the World Tours have been full with top players participating, gaining that final preparation for the ultimate event! The big question, will we see a Ma Long versus Zhang Jike final? Can London 2012 bronze medalist Dimitrij Ovtcharov go one step further and reach the final of the Rio Olympics? Germany's Timo Boll is finding peak performance having won last weeks European Test Event for the Games. Japan's Jun Mizutani comes in at number 4 seed and will be looking to go all the way. In the women's singles Ding Ning leads the seedings followed closely by Feng Tianwi and Li Xiaoxia. Its all to play for!

A fantastic event to follow, be sure to get involved on the TTD discussions!

We can use this topic as a means to display all the latest results, videos and news from this prestigious Rio Olympics! What are your predictions from each event.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Isn't this where Dan comes along and starts a TTD giveaway to the person who guesses the top 3 of each event?
Or is it a done deal with odds on favourites.
Let's wait in hope, I'm keeping my choices under wraps ????!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
The draw should be very interesting. It is quite obvious that Ma Long and ZJK cannot meet before final, but other players are very crutial. If Dima is going to be in the same half with ZJK everything can happen. I am going to say that the only trouble for Ma Long can be ZJK if he reaches the final. He already lost to Ovtcharov, Chuang, Samsonov, Fegerl and Chen chien an. So it will be really interesting how the other half will be build.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
After watching Xu Xin beat ML in the Korean open, I think that Xu would have a
serious chance at giving ML a nasty game if it came to it. Xu is in great shape. Much better than ZJK in my opinion.

What I wonder is at the Olympics, is this a time to try new
things to put your opponents off or will everyone play their normal, predictable game but try
to play it better than usual?

Reactions: SquareBall
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
No bold predictions on my side

MA Long for gold. I think ZJK will underperform in line with recent results he's much less fit than he used to be. For the other two medals it depends on the draw I think Wong Chuting and Gauzy could surprise. Mizutani seems to lack a bit off confidence. Ovtcharov Bill and Samsonov seem out of form.

Women's final should be DING Ning vs LI Xiaoxia if they're seeded 1 and 2. Ishikawa was performing badly recently but I think she'll recover in time. Intrinsically I think apart from the Chinese she's the best as FENG is getting too old. CHENG from Taipei is the rising player to watch.

Ding Ning vs LI Xiaoxia I think LI wins. Ding is stronger player overall but between those two maybe advantage to LI as she knows how to beat Ding

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Team event
China for the two gold medals. Depending on the draw, Korea could get Silver if they avoid China before. Portugal will be strong , Taipei will be there, I don't like Koki Niwa but Japan should make it

Women's I think unfortunately Japan may underperform as they have too much home media pressure. Individual results have been mediocre recently for Ishikawa and even worse for Fukuhara. Ito has too many ups and downs. All Asian teams are strong , both Korea's , china's satellites Singapore Hong Kong and Taiwan. And let me call Netherlands an Asian team as well... It's quite open

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
The semifinal seeds are probably ma long vs mizutani and zhang jike vs ovtcharov. Boll is on good form right now and recovered well from his injury in wtttc, he managed to beat ovtcharov to a olympic preparation tournament so I wouldnt count him out so easily. There is always vladi who can pose a threat and dont forget that dima never had a top performance (like the one in tokyo against ZJK) in any single world competition yet

In 2011 he lost to boll in 2013 to baum in 2015 to lee sang su who is also a threat for everyone. His only exquisit performances are in 2013 world cup and 2014 wtttc so it will be really exciting if dima really manages to achieve a break through in these olympics

The thing that makes me somehow uninterested & bored is that if dima beats ZJK in the semifinal, I dont think he can do the same thing in the final against ma long so the final will be one sided and boring. On the other hand europe players will start to build confidence more if they see another fellow achieving a top class performance against the chinese

Reactions: Dan

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Is there a way to attach the second poll with women's title? I think that the real intrigue will be there: Li Xiaoxia had recovered from injuries and Ding Ning is very strong as well, that will be a massive showdown.

Good question, there isn't currently but we will look into it Ilia.

Isn't this where Dan comes along and starts a TTD giveaway to the person who guesses the top 3 of each event?
Or is it a done deal with odds on favourites.
Let's wait in hope, I'm keeping my choices under wraps ????!

Haha! We will launch a competition shortly. Looking forward to seeing your choices Ardenhouse :)

The draw should be very interesting. It is quite obvious that Ma Long and ZJK cannot meet before final, but other players are very crutial. If Dima is going to be in the same half with ZJK everything can happen. I am going to say that the only trouble for Ma Long can be ZJK if he reaches the final. He already lost to Ovtcharov, Chuang, Samsonov, Fegerl and Chen chien an. So it will be really interesting how the other half will be build.

The thing that makes me somehow uninterested & bored is that if dima beats ZJK in the semifinal, I dont think he can do the same thing in the final against ma long so the final will be one sided and boring. On the other hand europe players will start to build confidence more if they see another fellow achieving a top class performance against the chinese

The draw will be very interesting. Boll and Samsonov could definitely cause a threat. I have been thinking this recently, Dima beats Zhang Jike in semi finals and then plays Ma Long in the final. Similar to when Ryu Seung Min beat Wang Hao in the Athens Final in 2004, Dima will hit peak performance and completely buzz and his first ever victory against Ma Long will be at the Olympics. Just a dream? :)