Equipment for Control Looper

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl is absolutely right. What works for you might not work for someone else. There are no clear cut thing about this. It's all down to preference. I for one would prefer a set up which has a little more feel, and Stiga blades give me just that. I can still loop and hit, same goes to Butterfly Timo ALC, though heavily dampened (as far as I'm concern), allows me to do the same too. But Stiga blades help me improved my short games. It helps me gage my heavy and light touches.

What you just described is exactly how I feel and why I love Stiga blades, more than any other blades, they are my personal favorite. It is also why I like all wood Stiga blades. But it is true, I have used all of those blades from Butterfly. They work really well. They do what they are supposed to. They do it as well as any other blade, or better. But for me there is less feeling and so I have less touch.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Its so hard picking equipment by personal preference because i am on a low budget and i cant really spend money testing many blades :/ i may just stick with what i have because i am used to it and try different rubbers that i can test from friends

Often I would say that sounds like it makes sense but if you are using such a fast blade and you are having trouble keeping the ball on the table consistently, I would look at that seriously. An Off+ blade is actually too fast for looping so an Off++ blade is a little crazy even though you are used to it. Your first order of business, I would say, would be to get something that is good for looping in the speed range of Off to Off- and get used to a blade that is a slower speed. Without that it will be hard to develop really good loops and the touch of the dwell time that will really give you that extra spin on the ball to make your shots powerful and consistent.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Moriguchi I'd suggest trying a slower spinnier rubber on your "brick" blade. If you like the feel of that blade then you should go ahead and keep it. As I've stated in other posts the speed from a ball is primarily from the blade. So getting a good spinny control rubber like maybe GeoSpin Tacky or Juic 999 Elite (that's the old name I don't know if it's the same name now). Also when you do transition back to the Tenergy you should consider getting a thinner sponge. This will give you more control in your shots.

My buddy had a Jpen blade that's a thick Balsa ply. He was using Bryce Speed on both sides and just had no short game. I gave him a sheet of Geo and he absolutely loved it. Had the speed of his smashes and loops, but he finally had a short game.