Testing Penhold Waters with Serves and Reversible Forehands Inspired by Xu Xin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hey Guys, I have virtually little experience with Penhold Style. So, I tried to serve some spin variations building on my experience with shake hand. In the video you could see that I am getting very less contact than usual. Is it because of lack of practice or some inherent difficulties with the racket angle in the style. At the end of the video, I added some footage of shakehand pendulum to highlight the difference. Before that, I would like to know whether I am holding the racket right? Share with me what do you think about these and where I have gone wrong?

Here, Just fooling around inspired by those ridiculous reverse Forehand Topspin of XX. I have the same question again on the grip, Share with me what you think about them and how to make them better, Thanks for watching :)

lyh

This user has no status.

lyh

This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Read 3 reviews
If you have just started experimenting penhold, then you are doing really well.
I don't think there is a specific correct grip, just find one that you are comfortable with.
I switched from penhold to shakehand last year and in my experience, it takes quite a few months to ajust, because the touch, feel, and mechanics are really different. At first, my penhold serves and forehand topspins felt really awkward, because I could not make good contact. I just play casually, so I had to find that feeling slowly. But it was fun! Now, when I go back to shakehand, it feels so awkward...
Some penhold styles are more similar to shakehand feel (probably Wang Hao's), but those like LGL and ML are more distinct.

Last edited:
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
Siva ... You are a traffic generator like hell.... I see you ass person who record and try everything and then just in editor cut it and make a bombastic name for it. Then you apply some general text under neath and it is done. Can you just pick up one topic and finish it ? And generaly in the game your serves are way of the league you are presenting in yours cutted slowmo videos.
Try to focus on your game and stop messing around.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
If you have just started experimenting penhold, then you are doing really well.
I don't think there is a specific correct grip, just find one that you are comfortable with.
I switched from penhold to shakehand last year and in my experience, it takes quite a few months to ajust, because the touch, feel, and mechanics are really different. At first, my penhold serves and forehand topspins felt really awkward, because I could not make good contact. I just play casually, so I had to find that feeling slowly. But it was fun! Now, when I go back to shakehand, it feels so awkward...
Some penhold styles are more similar to shakehand feel (probably Wang Hao's), but those like LGL and ML are more distinct.

Yeah man, nothing serious but it is worth the fun to try these stuff. Actually, in my youtube channel, the first video I uploaded was my attempt to serve like Ma Lin. And I think everyone who is obsessed with table tennis has seen that Ma Lin Ghost Serve. What a legend man.

I played against few penhold players during my short stint at local club. They bet the crap out of me with some serious side spin loops near to the table. I think there is so much variety with repect to forehand topspin one can get in Penhold, What do you think?

I would like to develop some skills for penhold as well. Lets see I ll try to play some games with my friends on penhold. I tried that Backhand loop and didnt have any idea how to do it.

One thing that happens when I tried these are my fingers start to hurt. Does that happen in the beginning?

What is your style of play in penhold?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Siva ... You are a traffic generator like hell.... I see you ass person who record and try everything and then just in editor cut it and make a bombastic name for it. Then you apply some general text under neath and it is done. Can you just pick up one topic and finish it ? And generaly in the game your serves are way of the league you are presenting in yours cutted slowmo videos.
Try to focus on your game and stop messing around.

Hey chill buddy, I am not into serious competition environment, just fooling around to get some headspace and movement. Actually, the reason for diversity is when I step into that room, the table dictates what I do. So I just have no control over whats happening over there. Take it light buddy, I am not proselytizing anything.

Those serves developed throgh this fashion, You heard this saying "Chaos creates order" That is how it works for me.

BTW, You have very good game, I saw in the last video you uploaded.

Reactions: bobpuls