Serving away from the table usng double touch and racket speed

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Thanks man, I too like it seemed like to roll to me when i did it and I wondered how did that evn happen got lucky there. As us said both dropping the ball and this stunt means the same

In the second video you can hear the double bounce, so unfortunately that would be a fault!
Cool idea tho i like it :) just tried some of those serves. They are fun, ultra deception :D

Reactions: Siva Schopenhauer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Urmmmm, serving and polygamy? [emoji2]

Or are you saying you swing both ways? [emoji2]

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Word pun. If that is real Shiva the ultimate lover, he can do whatever the **** he wants but not the one just named.

Lets settle with swinging.

I meant the Racket :D

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Except some pro's like Samsonov and Boll, most of them hide their ball behind their bellies :D

Back in the old age, they used hands now they use their body, probably one day their butts as well :D

Some do ofc hide their serve's. But only a handful id say 10-20%, also you need to think about that those serves are designed to be borderline and the may be hidden from the standard camera perspectife but not from the sight of the other player.

I like the hidden serves from Xu Xin the most, he gets so low that the ball passes behind his head just before contact :) !

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Some do ofc hide their serve's. But only a handful id say 10-20%, also you need to think about that those serves are designed to be borderline and the may be hidden from the standard camera perspectife but not from the sight of the other player.

I like the hidden serves from Xu Xin the most, he gets so low that the ball passes behind his head just before contact :) !

Marcos Freitas, ML, YM, 99% of cork screws and so on pro level are border line. It is as simple that without these deceptions they lose their major edge on the game.

I believe ITTF should not allow hiding the racket before contact. It this rule is implemented, then it would be a fair battle.

XX serves are so beautiful I like the way he topsins and hides it as backspin vice versa, very much original like Waldy. Many don't appreciate XX for his serve game because they get enamoured by his personality and outside the table game.
Some elite pro said XX has one of the toughest serve game to crack. I forgot the name though

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think these serves look fun. I don't think they have much spin. I don't think that matters though. I think he catches the ball on the racket and carries it, and then the racket changes directions. Whether it double bounces or not, that isn't legal. But it is a pretty cool trick which shows some nice touch and control.

But the kind of "illegal" that this is, is very different than illegal serves that the pros use.

This actually would not give Siva much of an advantage. That he carries the ball in one direction and then switches directions means that he can't really generate too much spin or pace. So, what causes this serve to be against the rules would only harm the server rather than helping. And you can see how much spin Siva gets on regular serves. So, this is for fun. And I'm sure, if he played around with it in a match it would also be for fun. But it certainly does take someone who is "mad as a hatter" to think up something like this. So more power to you Siva for your inventiveness. [emoji2]

Now, let's get to the pros borderline and illegal serves.

First lets get some working definitions:

1) Borderline serves mean they are close to being against the rules. But not quite.

2) Illegal means the serve is against the rules.

There is a skill and a talent to making it so your opponent does not see your racket until right before you contact the ball for the serve. When you have that contact, you also will have maximum mechanical advantage in transmitting power into the ball as spin or speed depending on how you contact the ball: tangential or more direct, thin or deep.

So, borderline is not against the rules. It is simply as close to being against the rules as possible without actually being against the rules. And aside from making it a little harder to read the serves, it gives the server better leverage to generate more spin or speed, or both. But the pros are so good at reading serves that they can still read the serves when they are borderline. So, from my perspective, borderline is not the same issue as the serves that are illegal.

And that skill of contacting the ball right by your side from a swing that comes from behind the body, it is actually worth developing that skill. You would understand why if you were able to do it. And saying the backswing should not go behind the body is like saying you should serve without a backswing. Imagine if you were told it was against the rules to have a backswing on your FH.

And on a serve, if the backswing does not go back behind you, it pretty much means you are not using enough hips or core rotation. How would Jun Mizutani get 75-degrees of rotation in his hips on a serve if his racket didn't go behind him. You would have to do something really awkward and unnatural to keep your arm from going back and around while turning your hips back.

Besides, the guys at the top level are so good at reading serves and handling them that usually level matters much more than serves.

And a guy like Ma Long, his serves are all legal and he still has some of the best serves in the game. I think both Timo Boll and Marcos Freitas said his serves were the hardest to handle. And they are all clean. He is really just that good.

The illegal serves do give an unfair advantage. But not unfair enough for Par Gerel to beat Ma Long.

So, illegal serves, borderline serves, it is a different discussion than this creative and fun serve that Siva has come up with.

Thanks for the video.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: Boogar
says Aging is a killer
I used to do a similar action in practice when trying to learn the inside out serve. The spin and swerve that can be generated is quite severe for me. But it was too unreliable.
As I said before, excusing the off the fingers throw, the action is quite legal. the double bounce would have to be deliberate and descrete for it to be called. I did not pick it up in the first video but in 'live' it is may be much more obvious.
But I'll ask someone much more qualified/experienced than me for another viewpoint, then get back to you guys.

Last edited: