europe sucks

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
kukamonga said:
it's like the supermarkets, I go to supermarket at 8:20pm and it's closed.
wtf!!!!

You coulda done your life in Europe earlier. Even in the early 90s, public law required supermarkets to close at 6 PM sharp. heck, if you got were lucky to get off work on time at 5 PM, you had to run like crazy to get supplies. It wasn't just the supermarkets, pretty much only restaurants were open late.

They also had separate specialty stores, like different places sold bread, meat, DRINKS, etc. So if you wanted to get fed, you had to hurry, and all these places had ridiculous lines.

Oh yeah, banks were worse. You ever hear of the term BANKERS HOURS. banks closed around 3 PM daily. ATMs were not popular then. Almost no vendor accepted a credit card. Internet was not yet possible to the citizen. You had to pay everything in cash and carry around a lot of cash, or at least stash a lot of cash and retrieve it.

You are fortunate it is what it is now, you REALLY would have gone insane not even 25 years ago.

Reactions: Suga D
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
and most players don't even wait to july, when yearly competition is over they start disappearing.
april, may, june, there's few people.

it's like the supermarkets, I go to supermarket at 8:20pm and it's closed.
wtf!!!!
it's like still the afternoon and everything closed.
in buenos aires supermarkets close at 10pm!!!!
and some chinese owned supermarkets after 10pm.

then we wonder why the chinese are always the champions!!!!!

Let me guess - you are in the Czech Republic?

Dude, if he was in Czech Republic, and he had any amount of cash, he would be so occupied mingling with entire hordes of the most astoundingly well-shaped young ladies he wouldn't have any time or inclination to complain about Europe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
You coulda done your life in Europe earlier. Even in the early 90s, public law required supermarkets to close at 6 PM sharp. heck, if you got were lucky to get off work on time at 5 PM, you had to run like crazy to get supplies. It wasn't just the supermarkets, pretty much only restaurants were open late.

They also had separate specialty stores, like different places sold bread, meat, DRINKS, etc. So if you wanted to get fed, you had to hurry, and all these places had ridiculous lines.

Oh yeah, banks were worse. You ever hear of the term BANKERS HOURS. banks closed around 3 PM daily. ATMs were not popular then. Almost no vendor accepted a credit card. Internet was not yet possible to the citizen. You had to pay everything in cash and carry around a lot of cash, or at least stash a lot of cash and retrieve it.

You are fortunate it is what it is now, you REALLY would have gone insane not even 25 years ago.

you know what, in buenos aires these days I think they tried to do the same in the supermarkets.
close on sundays, something like that.
you know who started complaining?
the workers!!!!
they were like "we need to work!!! if we don't work we don't get paid!!!"
lazy rich europeans lol

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Well, back then, the stores were required by law to close at 1 PM on Saturday. There was a LONG Saturday once a month where they could stay open to 4 PM once a month on Saturday.

These laws were intended to prevent the over-work and abuse of common workers, and contribute to the european way of family life. The laws pretty much did that.

The basic worker at a store was a minimum wage employee. Even with all the long hours stores are open these days, the management just keeps the hours down of the employees and hires more minimum wage employees to spread out the hours. No one gets rich in Germany on minimum wage.

What caused the stores to stay open to almost American-like convenient hours was from two sources. CONSUMERS got lazy and wanted everything EASY for them. In USA, almost no one wants to cook their own meals from fresh ingredients. That takes too long and is too difficult for many (hard to believe, but that is the syndrome) So, consumers demanded more open hours.

The other push was from big business. They saw an opportunity to become real huge real fast if they could market the best mix of convenience and variety, plus stay open real late. They grew real fast and squeezed whole sectors of the population. They hired more workers at dirt cheep wages, but they never made enough to do anything but to keep living with mom and help out a little with electric bill.

So basically, it was laziness of consumers and greed of big companies that got us to what we got.

There could have been a better balance of convenience and maintain the small guy's shop, and the country's basic way of life, but we got what we got. Now the small guy has got to work 10X harder to compete, it isn't easy. He literally has to spend all day from 0600 to 2300 in the store to have any chance of keeping up. That isn't sustainable without any larger success. That is the way of business yes, but the cause.effect on life is big. All this greatly changed the European mentality and way of life almost like a wildfire. European way of life did not change entirely and there are still some good aspects relatively unchanged, but all in all, the wave of convenient consumerism and big company greed had a cost that wasn't worth the added convenience it fostered.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
well not really.
you know in buenos aires which supermarkets are open for the longest hours?
the chinese supermarkets.
many times they don't even have employees, they attend themselves or somebody in their family does.
they'll open on public holidays sometimes too.
this is their mentality.
big chains like carrefour are generally open for less amount of time.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I have no clue what table tennis might be like in Luxembourg. I've driven through it a couple of times, it is at best a medium city of no particular interest except maybe for bankers. In my many travels to Germany in last few years, all of which have taken place in the summer, I have never had a problem finding a place to play. I've played in Freiburg, Heidelberg, and Cologne.

Last edited: