Hello everyone welcome to episode 13 of the TableTennisDaily podcast. In this episode we are joined alongside current World number 26 and Greek National team player Panagiotis Gionis.

Last season Panagiotis played for Borussia Dusseldorf in the German Bundesliga alongside Timo Boll. Gionis is a defensive player who has represented Greece at 3 Olympic Games and is playing his 4th, in the upcoming games in Rio.

We look into many different aspects of his game such as his current training methods, for example how he uses his long pimples to full effect, and we talk about his co mpetitions, greatest achievements and much more. Enjoy the podcast.

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4551039/height/360/width/640/theme/standard/autonext/no/thumbnail/yes/autoplay/yes/preload/no/no_addthis/no/direction/backward/no-cache/true/" height="360" width="640" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Breakdown of the podcast

00.00 Introduction.
00.52 Start - where and why did Gionis start playing.
04.06 Number of training hours in comparison to other players.
04.32 What makes your defensive game so effective?
05.41 When did you start to become a defender?
07.15 Gionis talks about using a forehand topspin at 21 years of age.
08.25 What did your coach see in you and why did he make you become a defender?
09.42 Do you think there needs to be more younger defenders coming through in TT?
11.39 How does the training differ being a defensive player?
12.51 What types of common exercises do you practice?
17.35 Plastic ball.
20.57 Gionis thoughts on ITTF’s plans to increase the net height.
23.37 Panagiotis thoughts on the green flooring used at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
24.25 Gionis discusses tactics he uses in matches.
27.22 Tactics against Chinese players including Ma Long, Zhang Jike and Xu Xin.
29.17 Joo Se Hyuk.
31.36 Borussia Dusseldorf and Timo Boll training.
32.27 Rio Olympics 2016 and goals.
37.12 Nutrition as a defender.
38.34 Gionis responds to user questions from the TableTennisDaily website.

If you would like to save or listen to the podcast on itunes, search TableTennisDaily in the itunes store. If you are an android user you can download the Stitcher app and search for TableTennisDaily.

What do you think about Gionis Panagiotis's opinions on the world of table tennis?
Thanks for listening!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I would like to hear it out, but it's a bit fast for me, how could I hear it more slowly ? (with an easy method)

for example, on youtube, one can do it easily, could you transfer it to youtube too, dan ? I guess, it could be a link to this forum too

Hi Violoniste18,

Good idea, we are transferring the podcasts onto youtube every 2 weeks. The next podcast on Youtube will be Will Bayley, then Waldner, Thomas Weikert then this one :)

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
It's a great podcast!
I love how Gionis criticizes the ITTF doing weird(let's say so) things with our sport.
And I would love to find a video of the doubles play of Gionis and Joo together..

Reactions: Thomas Jeffcott
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
It is really funny to hear one more top player mentioning the magic Chinese rubber that creates way more spin. There should be something really specail. Or it is just their superior strokes? Anyway, it is unbelievable how he could reach that level while going through medical school and working as a dentist for some time. So inspirational for amateurs, go practice hard!

Reactions: Jirrex
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
The worst flooring ever was at chinese super league i think it was 2013,2014,2015 they had light blue floor and i could not see the ball for shit. I dont know if they still have the blue floor though.