Opinions on what to do with my Michael Maze

This user has no status.
Hey all! I recently acquired a 2nd hand Michael Maze ALC blade, and it is an absolute pearl! However, during practice (4 hour sessions) and matches I turn into a human waterfall.
I'm looking for a way to "sweatproof" my blade, but I really do like the feel of wood against my palm.
So my question is: What is the best way to protect my blade from sweat and, if possible, still preserve that "woody" feeling? And is sweat actually that harmful to wood and carbon?
Thanks!

Sent from my MyPhoneMY27 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
And is sweat actually that harmful to wood and carbon?

Over time, it might be, but of course some of what goes in dries out again. Your blade will become slower eventually, but some people prefer the feeling of well seasoned blades to that if new ones.

It will be difficult to protect the blade as such, but you could use something like this on your hands:

https://www.amazon.de/LAVIT-Griffhand-Deo-trockene-sicheren-Griff/dp/B002GZ05UM

I used this many years ago and it worked quite well.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
e7ef90e5a0bf0b46581ff02023cfdeca.jpg

Here's the handle pic I forgot to attach to original post.

This user has no status.
Over time, it might be, but of course some of what goes in dries out again. Your blade will become slower eventually, but some people prefer the feeling of well seasoned blades to that if new ones.

It will be difficult to protect the blade as such, but you could use something like this on your hands:

https://www.amazon.de/LAVIT-Griffhand-Deo-trockene-sicheren-Griff/dp/B002GZ05UM

I used this many years ago and it worked quite well.
But will the sweat on the handle really affect the wood and carbon on the main body of the blade?
I know of players here who seal, varnish, or laminate their blades (either the whole blade to prevent splintering or just the handle).
But would giving my blade the above mentioned treatments alter the blade in some way?

Last edited:
Reactions: fais
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is what I would do:

Don't worry about it, after you play, make sure you leave your racket out when you bring it home so you can air out the handle and let it dry.

You could seal the handle but it will make the handle not feel as good and kind of slippery. That handle can last through years and years of you sweating as long as you let it dry after you play. So, when you have the racket home, you take it out of its case and leave it in the open air to dry.

Sealing the blade face really does very little to change the playing characteristics of a blade if you know how to do it. But I would say, just play with the blade and let it air out when you are not playing with it so that the sweat that soaks into the wood of the handle dries out.

Enjoy your blade.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I sweat the worst and none of my blades ever last past a year or so of daily use.

You forgot to mention that, sometimes when you get hungry, you eat them for breakfast so you can get a new blade. :)

It is part of the EJ thing. That is why Der_Echte is the Janitor and CFO of an equipment company.

Reactions: fais and ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
By the way, DoctorPaco, those blades from Butterfly, they really do stand up to abuse. There are only a few companies that make blades that are as sturdy as Butterfly blades.

There are blades that have better feeling. But not many that are as durable. Der_Echte likes the kind of blade that has great feeling, but is a little bit on the delicate side. I kind of like those blades with feeling as well.

Your Maze blade has pretty decent feeling for a carbon blade and it is a tank in terms of durability.

Just play with it; air out the handle after; and enjoy the blade.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
I seal heads and handles for my blades. One thin layers would give me peace of mind and save me from a lot of hassle of cleaning/caring my blades. Have been doing so from around 2008/2009.

When I bought second hand blades, I cleaned them all and seal them too.

My sealed handles don't become slippery at all after sealing.

Here's my latest batch of blades sealing. All heads and handles.

344fc5dabbe538bbb6d49a0ffb570e6e.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I seal heads and handles for my blades. One thin layers would give me peace of mind and save me from a lot of hassle of cleaning/caring my blades. Have been doing so from around 2008/2009.

Sorry for offtopic, but are they all yours?

that sure is an impressive collection.
[Emoji15]

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
My advice is to seal it. After 10-20 years it becomes important. When the wood gets wet, it will bend. The furnish in the blade can't bend and that cause tension . It's minimal, but if you want your child play with your old blade, make sure that they will be able. Better safe than sorry.

This user has no status.

If I do decide to seal my handle, what type for sealant would you recommend?

Sent from my MyPhoneMY27 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
from the table tennis products, i have used xiom i-sure sealant. it's a bit expensive if you just seal one blade. but for expensive blade it's worth it. i use that little 25ml bottle and seal 27 blades with it. i could seal more blades if only sealing the head parts.

for those trying to figure out how many blades in the photo = 26

make sure you try it on other cheap blade or piece of wood. let it dry and see if you like the result. everyone preferences is different. and variety sealant gives different results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D