Black edgetape?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You are wrong big time my friend
there has been a recent study from Nasa that proves that this will allow 20% more top spin in the ball
Its top secret that only US players are doing it

Hahaha.

No wonder the US players are taking the International TT scene by storm in these Olympic Games. That's their secret weapon. Now I get it.

Hahaha.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Sounds to me you are still lost.
The non branded edge tape is because of ambush marketing rules of IOC - go google it.
All sporting codes has this issue. I just watch archery and the ladies cap had 2 tapes to cover the logo on the cap....

Regarding coaching part for why a player only put some edge tape on - there is so many reasons and none of them got to do with coaching or ambush marketing
From a rule part, only thing that make sense is that is rubber is too long there, and he is using edge tape to make it legal, but this HAS NOTHING to do with ambush marketing as per the question asked in OP
Or as I said, maybe he ran out of tape, or he feels like it - all irrelevant answers to OP
And there is nothing to explain as per my response on ambush marketing - as his question is invalid for OT - understand???

So thank you for teaching me how to refrain from response.... go ask google next time

I am actually laughing at some of the theory and not wanting to believe its ambush marketing.
Guess people will be disappointed when they see different colour tapes (red, blue etc) and will be clueless when they see no tape, or half a tape.
Make people not able to sleep in night
Table tennis is indeed a difficult sport to understand
and I was lying about ambush marketing - no such thing exist - i made it all up, so did google

The original post asked if there could possibly be something else involved, but they speculated marketing. So Chuckjordan's question about only having 2 inches of tape on the raquet still applied to the original post that was questioning edgetape. Chuck's question had nothing to do with ambush marketing but when you have people who are already tuned into a thread and he has a question related to edge tape does it make sense to create an entirely new thread for such a small response? I understand the reasoning behind just having the black edgetape instead of a brand logo on there for the ambush marketing.

You had answered that question a few times already. We were asking something else that had nothing to do with ambush marketing. There may be nothing to explain as per your ambush marketing response, does that mean there was nothing to explain period? The question he asked didn't deserve to be answered because it didn't pertain to what you wanted to respond to? It wasn't a thread hijacking situation as the topic stayed on the edge tape. - understand????

I was simply guiding you to the fact that you didn't answer his question about 2" of edge tape. Not that you didn't answer the ORIGINAL QUESTION. you answered the Original Post very well even though it could be google searched quite easily. On the other hand it can't be googled easily on why a certain player would only use a little bit of tape.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The original post asked if there could.....rant.

Come on Shuki. What is the point of this? We all know the only real way to answer the 2" inches of edge tape question is to ask the guy who did it.

TTTony didn't do anything wrong. Let's just drop the arguing stuff.

Besides. I thought Tony's answer about how it was a secret weapon to get more spin was pretty good.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
The question about the 2 inch edge tape seems funny. I think the most possible reason to do so is that you protect only the part of the racket that needs protection - at around 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock, depending at what side of the racket you are looking at. That is the part of the racket you hit the table with when doing either forehand or backhand flicks.

Personally, I don't see other possible reasons.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Come on Shuki. What is the point of this? We all know the only real way to answer the 2" inches of edge tape question is to ask the guy who did it.

TTTony didn't do anything wrong. Let's just drop the arguing stuff.

Besides. I thought Tony's answer about how it was a secret weapon to get more spin was pretty good.

The point seems to be lost. Someone asked a question which didn't get answered and was told that their question didn't matter. So I chimed in thinking he misunderstood the question.

When the response to this felt aggressive toward me I got aggressive back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading this article, I think Tony may have something. More than I anticipated, it could be that the Olympic committee banished any and all non-sponsored brands.

I can see two sides of their (Olympic's) argument. They want to promote their product, they're also a big business pulling in $100M-$200M at this Olympics (which I'm disgusted with as the athlete spent tens of thousands of dollars to train (include travel, etc) and the Olympics reaps the $$$$$ benefits).

Anyway, the Olympics is over.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I was actually wondering, Chuckjordan ask me a question.
I replied to him
and then comes some cheeky forum member
Guess he loves to be a troll or forum police, I see in other threads, he sure loves to derail too.
Any ways, I wish there is a block button, so we can all continue with a normal conversation

Chuckjordan, I am glad you got what you need.
You should see Li Ning forced to wear Adidas (competition to his own brand) at Bejing 2008 opening ceremony
Also check your American media of Phelps headset with tape coverings

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I was actually wondering, Chuckjordan ask me a question.
I replied to him
and then comes some cheeky forum member
Guess he loves to be a troll or forum police, I see in other threads, he sure loves to derail too.
Any ways, I wish there is a block button, so we can all continue with a normal conversation

Chuckjordan, I am glad you got what you need.
You should see Li Ning forced to wear Adidas (competition to his own brand) at Bejing 2008 opening ceremony
Also check your American media of Phelps headset with tape coverings

There is a block button. The thread I spend most time in is daily table tennis chit chat. Kind of hard to derail a thread that's that open. If you don't want to see my replies add me to your ignore list. It's there for a reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I think Jha's partial tape covering was because his rubber wasn't glued properly and started to come apart on one side. And perhaps he noticed it at the last minute, didn't have time to reglue it, and decided a partial side tape covering would suffice and help save the planet. Don't you guys feel silly now?

Reactions: Shuki
I don't feel silly. Aren't the racket's inspected by the IOC prior to the match and held until game time? And held from game to game? If true there is no time to reglue.

If Dan has another pod cast with another Rio Olympian he could ask about the procedure. I'm curious. The Paul Drinkhall podcast has already concluded.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I don't feel silly. Aren't the racket's inspected by the IOC prior to the match and held until game time? And held from game to game? If true there is no time to reglue.

If Dan has another pod cast with another Rio Olympian he could ask about the procedure. I'm curious. The Paul Drinkhall podcast has already concluded.

IOC doesn't inspect the racket, it is ITTF match officials.
Everything is according to ITTF rules, and including all IOC policies (like ambush marketing)

Regarding the reglue - I personally find it unlikely that is the problem - as players all have spare rackets, some times 2 or 3 spares. Rackets get sent in after the match for inspection. The inspection is for banned substances only.
Prior to the match, they get test for rubber thickness, equipment legality (ITTF approved and rubber coverage etc)

You can ask the player directly on Facebook if you want the actual answer, but from my guess, it could be one of the following:
1) He has branding there, so forced to cover the branding (highly unlikely, but a possibility)
2) As I said above, his rubber is too long there, so he is forced to table it
3) the rubber is loose/bad glue job, so he is force to put it intake, but then why he doesn't do the whole bat?
4) fashion - because he feels like doing something different.

Any ways, from a coaching, technical, rules point of view, what he did is irrelevant to the game.
So even if you did get the true answer, it is not really important to know.

I think your earlier posted in this thread was joking around, but now I think you were serious.
Hope you understand these rules better now