Black edgetape?

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
If I remember rightly the Olympics have insanely strict rules about not "promoting" anyone other than the Official sponsors of the games. So in the case of table tennis, any edge tape bearing any brand name other than San-Ei or DHS would probably result in the player being penalised for ambush marketing. However that doesn't explain how they can wear shirts with Butterfly, Li-ning and Tibhar logos, unless of course the rules allow teh logos of the providers of the official kit for that country. To be honest it's all bollards, but the athletes have to abide by these rules !

Reactions: BeGo
I believe it's there because it passed the control-check. If you notice the tape only covers a portion of the outer edge. It also covers a small portion of the rubber's edge. Watch carefully next time.

As each player check's in their equipment, it's inspected. I would bet this is a seal and it's interesting that the color is black. Why not have the Olympic committee have either a San-Ei or DHS logo on it.

I would go further and say that if the seal is broken (removed off the edge), the tape would change color.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.......

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
What's more surprising was the Viscaria instead of the overpriced 413$ super ZLC
8qBhNI3.png

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What's more surprising was the Viscaria instead of the overpriced 413$ super ZLC
8qBhNI3.png

Why is that surprising ZJK has always used a Viscaria, even when Butterfly started making ZJK blades he never changed from the Viscaria.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Oh I didn't know, to be honest I'm not really hung up on who's using what and if it differs from what they advertise. I just found it interesting when I noticed it while watching the olympics thinking to myself da hell is that ugly blade Jike is using. I remember seeing it elsewhere. Actually they ain't cheap either but then again it's ButtaFry

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh I didn't know, to be honest I'm not really hung up on who's using what and if it differs from what they advertise. I just found it interesting when I noticed it while watching the olympics thinking to myself da hell is that ugly blade Jike is using. I remember seeing it elsewhere. Actually they ain't cheap either but then again it's ButtaFry

That is one of the funny things about Butterfly sponsoring ZJK and making all those blades with his name on it. ZJK seems never to have considered using any of them. Before they came out he was using a Viscaria and he never blinked. He never used anything but a Viscaria after they made all those blades for him.

It is almost like he doesn't even know they exist or care. He uses what he wants. And doesn't pay attention to any of the nonsense.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Its because of IOC strict rules on ambush marketing.
So during Olympics, all players end up with non logo tape or no tape.
Its the same thing with many sports
Some NOC also have strict rules
ie, must cover logos of your shoe as it is not the official sponsor

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
That is one of the funny things about Butterfly sponsoring ZJK and making all those blades with his name on it. ZJK seems never to have considered using any of them. Before they came out he was using a Viscaria and he never blinked. He never used anything but a Viscaria after they made all those blades for him.

It is almost like he doesn't even know they exist or care. He uses what he wants. And doesn't pay attention to any of the nonsense.

Reminds me of ZJK's filmed interviews in the past where he simply just doesn't care. Giving one word answers like "no", "sometimes", yes."

Specifically one of the question's was do your tattoo's have any meaning behind them? "Yes"
Do you care to explain the meaning behind them? "No"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
@tony, there was Jha (the US player) who had his edges bare. Bare except for a 2 inch section of black tape. Black tape covered a 2 inch section of the circumference. How can that be explained?

There is nothing to be explained, doesn't sound to me like any logo has been shown, so no ambush marketing here.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
He's asking you to explain why the player has the black tape at all if he's only covering up a tiny bit of his raquet with it

If that is the case, how would I know why the player only choose to use some edge tape and not enough to cover the bat....
maybe he ran out?
maybe he only want to cover a small section?

Never the less, this is irrelevant to OP regarding ambush marketing that I am commenting on.
Next question could be, why he is using red on forehand or why he is using straight handle lol
Ask the player, he is also from the USA :)
So - my response stays - there is nothing to explain.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Aruna had Joola edge tape on his racket, how can that be explained?

Well spotted. So very huge chance that Aruna or his NOC will get penalized for breaking IOC rules

For all the new names i'm seeing in this thread, a quick google can improve your general knowledge on Olympic games and olympic table tennis. Seriously, this is not the first event with black, or red, or blue edge tapes. and it sure not the only sporting code.

now, this is enough time spent in this thread.
any other questions - ask IOC or go ask Aruna on Facebook
This is simply the rule for IOC and nothing special

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
If that is the case, how would I know why the player only choose to use some edge tape and not enough to cover the bat....
maybe he ran out?
maybe he only want to cover a small section?

Never the less, this is irrelevant to OP regarding ambush marketing that I am commenting on.
Next question could be, why he is using red on forehand or why he is using straight handle lol
Ask the player, he is also from the USA :)
So - my response stays - there is nothing to explain.

We look to you as a source of vast information. We don't know how you know what you know. And as a player who sees you as a "verified coach" I had made the assumption that you would know the answer to his question and maybe you had misread it. Sorry to offend.

But maybe the misunderstanding made by me could be partly your fault too. Instead of saying "there is nothing to explain" when you don't know an answer you could say that you don't know, or refrain from response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
We look to you as a source of vast information. We don't know how you know what you know. And as a player who sees you as a "verified coach" I had made the assumption that you would know the answer to his question and maybe you had misread it. Sorry to offend.

But maybe the misunderstanding made by me could be partly your fault too. Instead of saying "there is nothing to explain" when you don't know an answer you could say that you don't know, or refrain from response.

Sent from my using Tapatalk

Sounds to me you are still lost.
The non branded edge tape is because of ambush marketing rules of IOC - go google it.
All sporting codes has this issue. I just watch archery and the ladies cap had 2 tapes to cover the logo on the cap....

Regarding coaching part for why a player only put some edge tape on - there is so many reasons and none of them got to do with coaching or ambush marketing
From a rule part, only thing that make sense is that is rubber is too long there, and he is using edge tape to make it legal, but this HAS NOTHING to do with ambush marketing as per the question asked in OP
Or as I said, maybe he ran out of tape, or he feels like it - all irrelevant answers to OP
And there is nothing to explain as per my response on ambush marketing - as his question is invalid for OT - understand???

So thank you for teaching me how to refrain from response.... go ask google next time

I am actually laughing at some of the theory and not wanting to believe its ambush marketing.
Guess people will be disappointed when they see different colour tapes (red, blue etc) and will be clueless when they see no tape, or half a tape.
Make people not able to sleep in night
Table tennis is indeed a difficult sport to understand
and I was lying about ambush marketing - no such thing exist - i made it all up, so did google

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well.....I think the reason the guy used a 2" strip of edge tape that only covered a small part of the edge of his racket is tied up with the reason some guys where a baseball cap that still has the price tag on it, or how other guys walk around with the belt and waistline of their pants below their bum with their dirty underwear showing.

Didn't you know 2" of edge tape with the rest exposed is the new fashion trend in TT?????

Reactions: Shuki
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Well.....I think the reason the guy used a 2" strip of edge tape that only covered a small part of the edge of his racket is tied up with the reason some guys where a baseball cap that still has the price tag on it, or how other guys walk around with the belt and waistline of their pants below their bum with their dirty underwear showing.

Didn't you know 2" of edge tape with the rest exposed is the new fashion trend in TT?????

You are wrong big time my friend
there has been a recent study from Nasa that proves that this will allow 20% more top spin in the ball
Its top secret that only US players are doing it