ZJK choo-ing like crazy at Olympics, no one complains?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Lol

Olympic Games, possible 2nd Grand Slam.

I think I've said enough.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Direct choo to the opponent with deadly stare, loud voice, yet no one complains.
12 yo kid, same loud voice, doesnt direct choo to the opponent, people complained until TTD released an article about it

tsk :)

hahaha thats funny :p dont forget that harimoto yells at almost every point he is just a kid though im sure he will calm down as years pass

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Just watched ZJK vs Chen Chien An -- ZJK is not even 1% as obnoxious as Harimoto.

Yes, some encouragements by Zhang Jike, but it's not at each points. A few cho, like Aruna, Crisan, Jeoung, Ovtcharov, Caldenaro ...

Also, there is a very very huge atmosphere, and lot of noise by audience. So it's normal that players need a little more encouragements.

Reactions: NextLevel
I saw it, and I agree that ZJK was a bit obnoxious. But I also think Harimoto is as well. Personally, I think all cho'ing is stupid, except when the point is particularly good, or if the point is particularly important. Even then...

I never cho, because I think that when westerners do it, it feels ingenuine. It feels like you are trying too hard to be part of eastern TT culture. Like when Steven Segal wears a kimono and puts his hair back in a pony tail...fake.

I don't yell cho when playing other sports, why would I do it in TT?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I never cho, because I think that when westerners do it, it feels ingenuine. It feels like you are trying too hard to be part of eastern TT culture.

I also don't find it natural to me. But I tend to curse a lot when I miss, which for me feels very natural :D

Direct choo to the opponent with deadly stare, loud voice, yet no one complains.
12 yo kid, same loud voice, doesnt direct choo to the opponent, people complained until TTD released an article about it

tsk :)

To be honest, I think you just don't like ZJK. Ma long was choo-ing ALL the time against Quadri Aruna yesterday. He was also very loud against JYS. Same for other people, they choo when they win a point that was important to them. I have watched all the games of ZJK in the Olympics, and I can objectively say that you're exeggerating. They were some times yeah, when he was indeed bellying after a point, but in no way is it obnoxious. Just suck it up, and enjoy the games. IF you don't like watching ZJK, don't watch him. Don't try to troll or state something that is clearly biased and very immature.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Personally, I think all cho'ing is stupid, except when the point is particularly good, or if the point is particularly important. Even then...

I never cho, because I think that when westerners do it, it feels ingenuine. It feels like you are trying too hard to be part of eastern TT culture. Like when Steven Segal wears a kimono and puts his hair back in a pony tail...fake.

I don't yell cho when playing other sports, why would I do it in TT?

Are westerners allowed to celebrate in anyway in your eyes when they earn a point? Or is just the word CHO off limits? How about a "Yes!" ?

says Aging is a killer
............ because I think that when westerners do it, it feels ingenuine. It feels like you are trying too hard to be part of eastern TT culture. Like when Steven Segal wears a kimono and puts his hair back in a pony tail...fake. I don't yell cho when playing other sports, why would I do it in TT?

Westerners have always celebrated winning a point in all manner of ways in all sports. Ever heard french players, Allez!!
I take it that you think it's alright for players of other cultures to copy western mannerisms but not the other way around? Or for Japanese men to wear western suits but Segal wearing a Kimono is fake?
Sorry, but I think that your comment smacks of racism.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shuki
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Come one guys, let's stop saying other people are making racist comments and get back to subject matter. Please.

There are a lot of good points being made here and a lot of good perspectives being presented. The topic is interesting. But let's see if the content can leave out the accusations.

I love the way it sounds when someone says "ALLEZ!" To celebrate a point. For me what would come out is "Yes!" And cho doesn't come out as a standard thing and neither does allez. I would have to train myself to say either of those and have no intention of changing what my natural reaction would be.

I don't love the celebration stuff. But I don't really care about it. I am also usually in that category of people who vocalize as a result of mistakes and not on the good stuff.

However, from a sports psychology standpoint I can see that the idea of vocally celebrating what you do well as being better for pumping you up and getting your head in the right place for a match than vocal self reproach would be.

And, from this perspective, as much as I feel Cho is a bit silly, I can't think of anything that would be more useful for that purpose because it is a full body, guttural explosion. And it is much more what I described than allez or yes would end up being.

So, perhaps there is a usefulness to this stuff that helps get you more game ready from a psychological standpoint.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
I actually feel happy hearing ZJK start choing out loud in his very first match in Rio. It shows that he is giving it all and no holding back. Have not seen him play this good in years. BTW Harimoto cho 3 to 4 times every point and even before his own serve. I don't see any resemblance between the two.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
I agree with Carl.
I do like the way Cho sounds and I find it more fitting when it's coming from the chinese or even the japanese or anyone who's been brought up with saying it, I've done it a few times myself but I find it a bit silly. I'm half swedish so now instead I just say something to pump me up in swedish instead occasionally. Sometimes I also like to take the Koki Niwa approach and just show and say absolutely nothing haha.

I can see where Nuke is coming from, hearing certain players say it just makes it seem like a bit off a put on. But it also sounds sort of cool and it gets you pumped up so why not. Still I can't shake the feeling that it doesn't sound quite right coming from some people.

Also can people please stop abusing the word racism, it makes the word lose its meaning.

Reactions: Nuke Skywalker