ZJK choo-ing like crazy at Olympics, no one complains?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Let's just call cho-ing for what it is, psychological warfare. If you yell words of self-belief and victory, it also implies the opponent's impending failure. Loud yelling matters. You want to believe you can win and you want your opponent to believe it too. Momentum is a funny thing, and since cho-ing is not against the rules players seem to be dealing with it because the stakes are high and only the strong survive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Let's just call cho-ing for what it is, psychological warfare. If you yell words of self-belief and victory, it also implies the opponent's impending failure. Loud yelling matters. You want to believe you can win and you want your opponent to believe it too. Momentum is a funny thing, and since cho-ing is not against the rules players seem to be dealing with it because the stakes are high and only the strong survive.

+1

I totally agree. But for some reasons when a professional does it, I don't care. When I see amateurs doing it, I'm more easily aggravated by it... Go figure.

Reactions: fais
I also don't find it natural to me. But I tend to curse a lot when I miss, which for me feels very natural :D
Haha...I guess that's true for me as well. Lately, I've been transforming my foul language to cognates, like "TRUCK!" or "MOTHER LOVER!" to keep things PG-13 for the kiddos.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Are westerners allowed to celebrate in anyway in your eyes when they earn a point? Or is just the word CHO off limits? How about a "Yes!" ?
Of course they are. "YES!" makes a lot more sense for the average American.

---EDIT---
And everyone is allowed to say whatever they want. I was just explaining my personal feelings on cho'ing, and why I think it's silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Westerners have always celebrated winning a point in all manner of ways in all sports. Ever heard french players, Allez!!

I'm not sure you understand what I was saying. I was stating that when a WESTERNER (Which btw, has nothing to do with "Race" because it's a geographical and cultural categorization term) uses the phrase "cho" it seems (to me) ingenuine. The example you used of a Frenchman saying "Allez" doesn't apply because the phrase is within context of his culture. This would not seem ingenuine to me.

I take it that you think it's alright for players of other cultures to copy western mannerisms but not the other way around? Or for Japanese men to wear western suits but Segal wearing a Kimono is fake?
As for your example of Japanese men wearing western suits... the Japanese have been wearing western clothing (started mostly for military purposes) since the Meiji period, so wearing suits for business has been standard for them for quite a while. Stephen Segal, an American and self-admitted japanophile, is living in a country where people rarely wear kimonos, and only do so in certain contexts, like dojos, japanese cultural fesitvals, weddings or funerals. And even then....rare. Segal has worn them in Manhattan while catching a subway train. He's worn them on talk shows. Here he is meeting Putin while wearing Chinese garb:
vladseagal-343205.jpg
C'MON! Seriously? :D

Sorry, but I think that your comment smacks of racism.
I myself am Japanese, but I am CULTURALLY American and I have never worn a Kimono. Nor do I "CHO." So as you can see, it's culture that I'm speaking to here, not race. FULL STOP. In my opinion, using term "racism" so cavalierly is not a good idea.

I'm not saying people should not be allowed to Cho. I was stating how I felt about it when westerners...particularly those in the US, use it to celebrate in a TT match. I don't really have strong feelings about it either way.

Last edited:
I agree with Carl.
I do like the way Cho sounds and I find it more fitting when it's coming from the chinese or even the japanese or anyone who's been brought up with saying it, I've done it a few times myself but I find it a bit silly. I'm half swedish so now instead I just say something to pump me up in swedish instead occasionally. Sometimes I also like to take the Koki Niwa approach and just show and say absolutely nothing haha.

I can see where Nuke is coming from, hearing certain players say it just makes it seem like a bit off a put on. But it also sounds sort of cool and it gets you pumped up so why not. Still I can't shake the feeling that it doesn't sound quite right coming from some people.

Also can people please stop abusing the word racism, it makes the word lose its meaning.
Thank you!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Guys I've found that if I'm not vocal during the league matches that are really tense because players from your and other team are watching you, I get shaky and nervous and I play at less than half the capability I normally play.

I don't love to say "choo" too much as it does sounds a bit silly. Saying "yes" would just sound like an asshole. So what are the things that would be the most acceptable ones just for myself to stay "in the zone" and avoid the shakiness during a tense match?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Guys I've found that if I'm not vocal during the league matches that are really tense because players from your and other team are watching you, I get shaky and nervous and I play at less than half the capability I normally play.

I don't love to say "choo" too much as it does sounds a bit silly. Saying "yes" would just sound like an asshole. So what are the things that would be the most acceptable ones just for myself to stay "in the zone" and avoid the shakiness during a tense match?

How about whatever really comes out naturally? I think there is a value to that regardless of what actually comes out.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

My 2 cents is that your main focus should be to enjoy the game, eyes on the ball and shut down everything else, just relax and focus on the ball. Its not something that will change immediately but match after match you ill definitely see improvement.

Team matches are for sure more tense than singles because you dont want to let down your mates, but thinking about it, only brings negativity. As for releasing the tension do whatever comes natural in order empty you mind, talk to yourself, dont rush to pick up the ball and just take it point by point

I remember a very tense match between junior teams, the underdog in the decider keep yellin "ole" which was hilarious and the whole room laughed because he sounded like a spaniard bull fighter/dance, but he won the match so silly or not ...it did the job

Reactions: Nuke Skywalker