Is Ma Long's lame Olympic Celebration any good for the sport?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Well, the Chinese ethnic group is say around 1.5billion, so 1 in every four/five people in the world is Chinese :)

You know, this debate of Chinese vs Chinese in the 21th century, can also be linked to migration from the 20th/19th century.
IE, why is there Caucasian people from North America? It suppose to be Native Americans competing in Team USA and Canada.
Or why is there Caucasian from South Africa, it should only be native Africans etc
Why is there African's in the French/USA teams etc
Today's word is all mixed and Chinese ethnic group is the same with all the others - only just it is a couple of decades late than the rest.

The country and NOC and national TT body should manage the immigration policies and make it fair for the locally bought up players (irrespective of race).
An import country like Qatar and yester years of Singapore is rare
It will take time for people to get used to it.
Just like the NBA, they all "Africans" :)

This user has no status.
Well, the Chinese ethnic group is say around 1.5billion, so 1 in every four/five people in the world is Chinese :)

You know, this debate of Chinese vs Chinese in the 21th century, can also be linked to migration from the 20th/19th century.
IE, why is there Caucasian people from North America? It suppose to be Native Americans competing in Team USA and Canada.
Or why is there Caucasian from South Africa, it should only be native Africans etc
Today's word is all mixed and Chinese ethnic group is the same with all the others - only just it is a couple of decades late than the rest.

The country and NOC and national TT body should manage the immigration policies and make it fair for the locally bought up players (irrespective of race).

I agree and I totally don't mind seeing Chinese in other national teams. It was just a fun fact, every 5th TT Olympian being Chinese, you know. Actually, if that leads to higher quality TT at the Olympics, which it does, then I'm all for it.

Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.

Come to think of it, Dima, Kreanga and Gardos are also immigrants, right? And nobody seems to mind, and nobody should.

Reactions: Suga D and TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Come to think of it, Dima, Kreanga and Gardos are also immigrants, right? And nobody seems to mind, and nobody should.

Immigration is a tricky thing, in countries like Greece,China, Germany speaking the native language fluently is definitely a bonus for "natives" to accept you as their own, and even bigger if you grew up there

This is natural human behavior but it doesnt mean it is "fair" for immigrant athletes or any kind of immigrant professionals. In greece still a few racist people have difficulty accepting the adetokunbo brothers (nigerian born basketball players who grew up here) as greeks and dont like the fact that they are in the national basketball team

Reactions: Suga D and eyepop
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I love the fact that people have found the original subject matter of the thread so silly that the subject has been changed.Nationalism, immigration and the world nation are much more interesting subjects.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
Immigration is a tricky thing, in countries like Greece,China, Germany speaking the native language fluently is definitely a bonus for "natives" to accept you as their own, and even bigger if you grew up there

This is natural human behavior but it doesnt mean it is "fair" for immigrant athletes or any kind of immigrant professionals. In greece still a few racist people have difficulty accepting the adetokunbo brothers (nigerian born basketball players who grew up here) as greeks and dont like the fact that they are in the national basketball team

Man, same thing here in Serbia and probably everywhere in the world. But I've listened to the interviews of some Chinese-born Europeans, Shan Xiaona and Li Jiao for example, and they do speak German and Duch.

Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I love the fact that people have found the original subject matter of the thread so silly that the subject has been changed.Nationalism, immigration and the world nation are much more interesting subjects.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

well technically speaking, it is all part of "good for the sport"
But yeah, the OP was lame and this indeed is a more fruitful discussion.

Eyepop, you are so right, in Europe there is already migrations. Dima is already an immigrant, but the Germans love him.
Regarding some of the woman's players you mentioned - some of them has been in Germany, Netherlands for 1 to 2 decades, so they are pretty much immigrated there already.

On social media, I see Lily Zhang labeled a Chinese too.
Ethnically yes, but nationality wise, she is American.

And on the subject on raising the standards, these Chinese imports (of players and coaches) for the past 2 decades has uplifted world table tennis standards.
One of the French national coach for example is Chinese, and we can see a rise of French junior/younger players
Saive for a fact was one of the first beneficiaries of Chinese immigration
Other than exporting talent and skills to all part of the world, they also invite "foreigners" to China to train.
The past year, more than 20 odd countries trained in China, and this is national teams. Amateurs wise will be a lot more.

I reckon it will take time for the world to be truly clear of race and ethnic group.
Maybe another decade or 2

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
well technically speaking, it is all part of "good for the sport"
But yeah, the OP was lame and this indeed is a more fruitful discussion.

Eyepop, you are so right, in Europe there is already migrations. Dima is already an immigrant, but the Germans love him.
Regarding some of the woman's players you mentioned - some of them has been in Germany, Netherlands for 1 to 2 decades, so they are pretty much immigrated there already.

On social media, I see Lily Zhang labeled a Chinese too.
Ethnically yes, but nationality wise, she is American.

And on the subject on raising the standards, these Chinese imports (of players and coaches) for the past 2 decades has uplifted world table tennis standards.
One of the French national coach for example is Chinese, and we can see a rise of French junior/younger players
Saive for a fact was one of the first beneficiaries of Chinese immigration
Other than exporting talent and skills to all part of the world, they also invite "foreigners" to China to train.
The past year, more than 20 odd countries trained in China, and this is national teams. Amateurs wise will be a lot more.

I reckon it will take time for the world to be truly clear of race and ethnic group.
Maybe another decade or 2

yeap, maze also had a chinese coach, and I think austria's coach and the 2nd coach of germany are also chinese. probably the portuguese coach also

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
So tempted to start a huge flamewar over diversity vs nationalism, but I won't.

God forbid I claim that we should have both, and that veering into one direction is just as bad as the other.

Oops. ;)

In a general view of life today.
The ones cryings fouls today seems to be the one invading/colonizing centuries ago.
So whose fault is it lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
actually it were their ancestors, not them. let the flame begin

Yeah, I was referring to race/ethnic groups.
Its like the Chinese inventing gun powder, but dying by the same gun powder used by the west in the numerous invasions last century.
People should just accept migration is the norm since human existed and stop crying foul if you don't agree, otherwise you don't agree to your own history and linage :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Kicking barriers would be better? Or tear off the shirt? Oh no, that was ZJK. Maybe scream like the hell?
Ma Long chose the best way, he showed something new and unique. It isn't better than the ones above, but definitely not worse.
EDIT: It's better than screaming. I like screaming, when you celebrate a good point, but simply not good enough when you won the olympics.

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Kicking barriers would be better? Or tear off the shirt? Oh no, that was ZJK. Maybe scream like the hell?
Ma Long chose the best way, he showed something new and unique. It isn't better than the ones above, but definitely not worse.
EDIT: It's better than screaming. I like screaming, when you celebrate a good point, but simply not good enough when you won the olympics.

Maybe OP was expecting ML to cry and be in tears and cry and cry even more

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Let this video instill some spirit into the lives of lost souls. Why does anyone want to win or achieve victory. It gives an opportunity to celebrate life. Are athletes embracing monkhood? Can the latest victory of Ma long be compared to any of these?

Judge honestly guys, don't you feel innervated after watching this video