Players Complain about the Poor Quality of the Ball Used in Rio!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I never saw a tourney in USA use those DHS seamed 40+ balls, but many tourneys in USA are infected with the Joola 40+ virus which is 1000x worse than Zima.

NL... unless HCTTC had a drastic change the September 3 tourney will use the dreaded Joola 40+...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
I am afraid DHS is here to stay as they have extended the term as "Official Balls of World Games" from 2016 to 2020. Or we can put our last hope on their next D40+.

DHS balls a.jpgDHS balls b.jpg

Wait a minute.....DHS knows all along who are going to win OG?! :p

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
I never saw a tourney in USA use those DHS seamed 40+ balls, but many tourneys in USA are infected with the Joola 40+ virus which is 1000x worse than Zima.

NL... unless HCTTC had a drastic change the September 3 tourney will use the dreaded Joola 40+...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Yes the jolla 40+ are the worst..... When new they are unplayable it needs one hour to get be even used.... Or you have to do the dima cleaning process ......

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
This whole ball thing is getting boring, purely because everyone has a different experience with each ball. The Joola Flash ball is by far and away the best ball I have played with. Agreed that the Joola 40+ balls were poor, but Flash has been perfect. I play 3 times a week, and reckon that I could get through that 10 hours of play with just one or two flash balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I didn't used too much 40+ ball. Joola Super-P wasn't that bad, but Joola Flash (the seamless one) the worst ever. I know player (women first league, if I remember correctly) who actually like the feel of the new ball, but still thinks that the quality sucks.

I like the Joola Flash - good seamless ball. For me, the most important things are hardness and bounce. The main thing I don't like about the seamless ball is that it slows down faster than the Nittaku Premium and thus refutes my celluloid instincts sometimes but that is life.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
What's your guess on the year where all poly balls will be at least decent and consistent?

I've practically given up on other plastic balls other than nittaku premium. That ball is a tank and will take plenty of table and paddle edge. Chinese seamless breaks on me after 2 paddle edge most of the time

In the greek championships this year, we were provided stag balls. We played 14 league matches and all of my 6 balls broke. BEAR in mind that we only used those balls for the matches.

I have played with DHS, nittaku, xu shao fa and butterfly and I dont know which game some of you guys play, but only nittaku is up to the standards.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
http://new.ittf.com/2016/08/15/top-class-rio-olympic-champion-applauds-venue-floor-ball/

ITTF released this article describing Ma Long and Feng Tian Wei praising the DHS ball. I won't be adding my opinion on the ball as I do not have enough experience in playing with other balls to compare them fairly.

Btw, what is this D40+ ball?

Any ball can be good when you don't seriously compare it to another ball. The DHS ball has improved from the crap it was 1-2 years ago. But you just have to play with it next to a Nittaku to see the benefits (better grip) and the demerits (too soft and deformable, lower bounce).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
http://new.ittf.com/2016/08/15/top-class-rio-olympic-champion-applauds-venue-floor-ball/

ITTF released this article describing Ma Long and Feng Tian Wei praising the DHS ball. I won't be adding my opinion on the ball as I do not have enough experience in playing with other balls to compare them fairly.

From DHS's word, CELL-FREE-DUAL ball adopts new material formula and craftsmanship different from CELL-FREE ball to have more accurate sphericity and better elasticity. So the new D40+ should be rounder, bounce higher and more durable than normal 40+.

Only 1 star is available for now. It bounce higher than seamed 40+, even old cell balls but lower than seamless in a drop test. Some irregular bounce in play but quality is decent enough for 1 star. Does not break after half hour of play so it is a good sign.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
This whole ball thing is getting boring, purely because everyone has a different experience with each ball. The Joola Flash ball is by far and away the best ball I have played with. Agreed that the Joola 40+ balls were poor, but Flash has been perfect. I play 3 times a week, and reckon that I could get through that 10 hours of play with just one or two flash balls.

I play 5 times a week with Flash, last week played plus 4 hours with celluloid balls, and today I played with Jaki balls, our old training balls (poly)., Y can be right about Joola P balls. Jakis are awful and we were using Joola Super P as matchball instead of Jakis. Now Flash seems to be better than the others, maybe factory 'dirt' came off (we use around 20 ball at once, so every single balls doesn't used that much).
Anyway, we couldn't be back to other discussions, balls doesn't makes a big difference if you are used to them.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

The big trouble with the article is that it is not an article. It is propaganda from the ITTF. Notably absent is any information to the contrary on the quality of the ball.

Here, this statement:

“I have spoken to many players and everyone tells me the quality is good, all the regulations have been met”, he stressed.

If this is true, if the person who wrote the article had an actual interest in real journalism and not propaganda, how come the writer of the New York Times had such an easy time finding multiple people who said the opposite? Real players in the tournament who complained about easy breakability, inconsistent bounce, low bounce, strange flight? In the NY Times article they quoted a player who did not agree with the low quality of the ball. They objectively presented both sides of the argument as real journalism should. This "article" is merely propaganda and is trying to pretend that there are no issues with the Poly Ball. And how could they ask the guy whose photo is on the packaging for the ball???? Can anyone say "conflict of interest"!

The ITTF can hide in their bubble and pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist. But in the long run all this kind of behavior does is help to further marginalize the sport.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
One more thing that most people forget or are unaware of.

The first pattent for the plastic ball was credited to a woman (or a company which that particular woman was involved). That woman was the wife of a male member in the ITTF committee. Enough said

Its sad to see that world TT is basicaly owned by chinese TT companies and ITTF instead of trying to find more variables especially in the sponsorship area they select the easy way out and co-operate with them under the table

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Anyone watching Zhang Jike and Jeong Youngsik can see the amount of missing because the ball did not bounce properly.

I've often wanted to post about this, and even typed in a few before giving up and closing the browser down.

Although the overall length of rallies at pro level looks to have increased with the new ball (service receive errors are reduced IMO), many rallies finish with a player playing over the top of the ball. I've also wondered several times if these situations are more common towards the end of games where the ball might be going soft.

But the reason why I've chickened out from posting is that it's too easy to think of alternative reasons for these kinds of misses. And I don't have any hard data to prove that playing over the flight of the ball has increased since the 40+ switch.

But it's an interesting idea.