Pick your team to beat the CNT

Which 3 would make up your team to beat the CNT?

• Jun Mizutani

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Jeoung Youngsik

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuang Chih-Yuan

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other (name it)

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Pick your team to beat the CNT in Rio 2016

If you were the coach
and could name anyone whom we've seen playing in Rio 2016,

which three of any non-Chinese player would make up your team to beat the CNT?

How would you line them up?
Who would play doubles?

(ABC XYZ format)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 6 reviews
Jeoung Youngsik vs ZJK (he only needs to work on his mentality) 1:0
Mizutani vs Xu Xin 2:0
Mima Ito vs Ma Long, he looks like a gentelman, so maybe he wouldn't beat a little girl... but jokes aside, he can't lose to anyone now or in the near future 2:1
some lucky double win woul be nice 3:1
if double is lost then it gets a lot harder, but I think ZJK can be also beaten by Mizutani and Ovtcharov.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I would choose Ma Long, Xu Xin and Fan Zhendong as my team to beat the CNT.

Hahaha. Nobody else could do it. Not even close.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

What about the number 5, 6 and 7 in the world which is what I voted
Jun Mizutani, Ovtcharov and Chuang Chih yuan?

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Samsonov (and a couple of the others) does stand a small chance against ZJK, otherwse no.
None can beat Ma Long or Xu Xin (on a normal day) other than possibly former Prime chinese players + possibly a couple others (in prime). (Ruy Seun Min?), I'd like to say Waldner but the factors on wether he could or not are too uncertain, and if he could it's in any case after being taught anew from scratch together with his creativity and calamity.
Only team I could Imagine, standing a chance, would be something like.
Prime Wang Hao - Ma Long
Prime... Ruy Seun Min? Wang Liqin? - Zhang Jike
Fan Zhendong - Xu Xin
I personally think Prime Ruy seung Min's determination would prove superior to ZJK's current state. I believe more in him than Wang Liqin tbh, Ma Lin is too grumpy.
And tbh, any of these matches could go either way... Ma Long has improved. And Xu Xin might as well beat FZD.

But considering only current date people... I think Carl has a point.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Jung Youngsik (vs Ma Long), Dima or Mizutani (Vs. Xu Xin), Liam Pitchford (Vs. Zhang Jike). I could also switch these players around but I believe these players can do it, though I may have to sub out Dima if he has to play Ma Long and replace him someone else or just put Mizutani vs Zhang Jike. I think these players will beat the CNT top 3 at least once in the next 2 years if they haven't already like Dima has.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Right now, one thing I notice is that, so far, China has not lost a match to a player from a different country. Not ONE. Not in singles. So far, not yet in team. My guess is, if they had to play every team, in the Olympic team event, maybe they would lose 2 or 3 matches total after playing . Even if you took the teams and made China list their order of play beforehand so the other team could try and match up against the the Chinese players however they think they can match up best. All the other 15 of the teams would lose to China.

The thing is, the top Chinese players are actually so much better than everyone else, that they can still struggle with a player who surprises them and pull out the win. From a technique standpoint, these are the best and most complete players in history. A guy like Waldner, if he could somehow go back to being 22-28 and have the advantage of learning all the new techniques as he developed so they were part of his game, his tactical mind might be able to take a match. But that is sci-fi fantasy TT. You can't time-travel and get someone from a different era to somehow come to the future in their prime.

If every player from every team played the top 4 Chinese players, and each Chinese player was in the situation where they knew a loss in a match would mean shame to their country, if there were real stakes on the line, all 4 Chinese players, playing a match verse every single player in the team event from a different country, maybe they would lose 5 or 6 matches total. Each CNT player playing 45 Olympic TT players from other countries, that is 180 matches, maybe they would lose a few. But I could also see them winning every single match if they stay on.

When was the last time China sent players to a tournament and did not win? How often do they send their top 4 and have all 4 in the semi-finals? Think about it. They are just that good. Nobody in the rest of the world trains or scouts young talent the way China does.

In Singles Ma Long was 4-0 against players from a different country. ZJK was 4-0 against players from a different country. So far in the teams the Chinese team is 9-0. So, so far in the Olympics China is 17-0. I don't see much that would change that pattern. I wish this was not the case. But I am a realist. In American Football in 1972 the Miami Dolphins had a perfect season. They went 14-0 in the regular season. They went 3-0 in the playoffs. the total is 17-0. No other football team has done that and gone through a whole season without a loss. You have to understand how big going 17-0 thus far actually is. If they lose a match in the finals against Japan I will be happy. As I see it, it won't change the stats. 20-1 = 180-9. Somehow, I think they are better than 180-9 if they really want to be. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Its like trying to find runners in the 400 meter relay this week to beat Jamaca in the Olympics!

btw justin gatlin talked talked talked all the year about how great he feels and believes he can beat bolt, only to lose once more with bolt making another poor start

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Mizutani is the only must have player in such a team. He can stand against ZJK as well as XX if he play like against Ma Long in singles. If we are VERY lucky, he can beat both and then we just have to find the greatest double players. Now I would say Morizono + Oshima. I miss the Kenta + Niwa double, they were my favourites.
If we can use chinese players I would say Fang Bo + Wang Chuqin/ Hao Shuai/ Zhou Yu/ Liu Dingshuo.
Without chinese players Wong Chun Ting + Yuya Oshima also would be an interesting double.

Jeoung Youngsik vs ZJK (he only needs to work on his mentality) 1:0
Mizutani vs Xu Xin 2:0
Mima Ito vs Ma Long, he looks like a gentelman, so maybe he wouldn't beat a little girl... but jokes aside, he can't lose to anyone now or in the near future 2:1
some lucky double win woul be nice 3:1
if double is lost then it gets a lot harder, but I think ZJK can be also beaten by Mizutani and Ovtcharov.

I agree, the best team would be Jeoung Youngsik or Ovtcharov, Jun Mizutani, and Mima Ito...
Or better: 3 Mima Itos.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Pick this team is like Mission Impossible. CNT is so strong. However, I believe if you take out the Chinese coaches, especially Liu Guoliang, the Chinese team can be beaten. I think their coaches are so good at reading the opponents and find the right tactics to turn bad situations around. How many times the CNT players lost the first 1 or 2 sets and then turned it around? How many times they came back like a different player after timeout?

I think the Chinese players rely on their coaches much more than non-Chinese players. If they play without coach, there is big chance for an upset once in a while. With LGL as coach, they are simply unbeatable.

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
I'm missing Koki Niwa. He might not be mature and experienced enough, but I think he will be getting closer in the future. Ovtcharov and Samsonov are my other bets. Boll has had his time, he's not enough of a challenge anymore. Mizutani showed great performance at the Olympics, but it still wasn't enough to beat the Chinese. And Jung, I'm just not impressed by him yet, and his reputation against the Chinese is 0.

EDIT: And yes, Mima Ito.. I would love to see how she performs against the top men.

Last edited: