Bandage Scissors for cutting your rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
I thought I would post on one of the most basic topics cutting table tennis rubbers. it's such a great feeling getting two bran new Beautiful table tennis rubbers, But if I'm honest, and I'm a little embarrassed to say this, but all too often in the past (even after looking up how to videos) I have proceeded to completely butcher the edges my new rubbers to the point where it looked like my 5 year old cut and past art project, and making my setup like a nube job deluxe long after it should, completely nullifying that shiny new feeling that I had only moments before. On a whim I bought these 6 dollars bandage scissors from Walgreens and they work great. These cheep o scissors are by far the best scissors I've used for cutting rubbers and the angled handles really help when cutting close to your blade handle. IMG_1666.JPG I'm sure other people use these types of scissors because they work so well but I don't remember seeing or reading it before so I thought I would post my findings

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
No, what works well is sharp scissors. That's the secret ingredient + adding a bit of boosters aka oil to go through the cutting smoothly. It's not rocket science, whether you are cutting with the rubbers already glued or with a pencil marker if you like overhanging rubbers for easy removal for boosting and blade protection, keeping your hand rotating while cutting and following the line is all it takes in one continues motion.
The tough part is, nobody here has sharp scissors. That's why you need to learn how to properly sharpen:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/19532-Sharpening-Scissors

Here, I have 2 identical pairs and one of them is done. I use it for cutting anything fine including kitchen film. These will go through table tennis rubbers like butter and the process is much quick and painless compared to a scalpel knife
http://i.imgur.com/EiUc0l0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5REipah.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2xMevwo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Cs2m96f.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpuls
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The more you do it, the easier it gets. The hardest part of cutting with a scissor is the start. With the start you just take little,
little cuts until the handle is no longer in your way. I've stopped noticing and the cut is always pretty good. So, at some point you will get comfortable cutting rubbers.

But if those scissors help you get a better cut, that is good to hear.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Obviously this is not a big deal or rocket science:). I did manage to mingle quite a few edges of rubbers particularly early on but your right every one figures it out. Eventually my cuts came out pretty nice, only occasionally I would still have I a ragged edge usually close to the handle area. But yea these are pretty good cheap bandage scissors and I was surprised by how nice they handled the task. I still take lots of little cuts but I think the serrated edge helps and the angled blade helps when cutting close to the blades handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have used both of these:

718d2d1650a756de81098012cd7ef294.jpg

I can cut as perfectly as I want with either.

I used to like the knife. That is one of the heavy duty X-Acto knives. The tip is a tip specifically for carving and slicing. I found it works better than any of the other blades X-Acto makes. It is perfect for cutting rubbers. And the handle and size of the heavy duty X-Acto is easier to use because you can apply as much pressure as you want when you need more or less.

The reason I started using a scissor: I used to play at a club in Chinatown NYC. I was friends with one of the guys who worked their from decades ago. I saw him and he owner build rackets for people all the time. They used a scissor to cut. They did it like they were machines. They picked up the racket and cut the rubber in seconds. It took so little time and they did it so cleanly. I realized it was just a matter of practice with a scissor.

At some point they started having me put rackets together for people. Not all the time. But often enough that I got comfortable with the scissors.

For me it just felt so much less fussy with scissors. And, personally, I don't care if the rubber is cut perfectly even though I can do it. If it isn't quite perfect, it doesn't matter to me.

But with a few times practicing, you start cutting the rubber quite well with any good scissor.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I have used both of these:

718d2d1650a756de81098012cd7ef294.jpg

I can cut as perfectly as I want with either.

I used to like the knife. That is one of the heavy duty X-Acto knives. The tip is a tip specifically for carving and slicing. I found it works better than any of the other blades X-Acto makes. It is perfect for cutting rubbers. And the handle and size of the heavy duty X-Acto is easier to use because you can apply as much pressure as you want when you need more or less.

The reason I started using a scissor: I used to play at a club in Chinatown NYC. I was friends with one of the guys who worked their from decades ago. I saw him and he owner build rackets for people all the time. They used a scissor to cut. They did it like they were machines. They picked up the racket and cut the rubber in seconds. It took so little time and they did it so cleanly. I realized it was just a matter of practice with a scissor.

At some point they started having me put rackets together for people. Not all the time. But often enough that I got comfortable with the scissors.

For me it just felt so much less fussy with scissors. And, personally, I don't care if the rubber is cut perfectly even though I can do it. If it isn't quite perfect, it doesn't matter to me.

But with a few times practicing, you start cutting the rubber quite well with any good scissor.
Carl, which method would you recommend for people that don't have any experience with cutting rubbers? I don't have to cut rubbers right away, but I couldn't resist the temptation to order some Rakza 7 soft (2.0mm) rubbers since I stumbled upon a very nice offer.

I read a lot about table tennis related things and I decided that I really would like to try these rubbers. I made a deal with myself that I could buy the rubbers already, but that I'd still play with my current rubbers (Mark V) for at least a few more months.

The main reason for that is that I'm still a beginner and I noticed that control is much more important than speed for a developing player. The other day I tried my friend's racket for a short time (Tibhar Nimbus VIP with Tibhar 1Q max rubbers) and it became obvious that speed is nothing without control :).

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I would say, if you have never cut rubbers before, getting a heavy duty X-Acto knife that has a handle like a screw driver and the carving tip would be safest. It does take more technique to cut with scissors.

With the X-Acto knife you need something solid under you as a cutting surface. I use a thick wood cutting board. But not one that you would use for foot because the glue and the rubber are not so good for your health.

You also should know that you should go slowly and cut one area at a time. And go over the area until you are sure you cut all the way through. I found it I used too much force to ensure I went all the way through I could cut the blade as well.

And that is the last detail. Don't press the knife blade too much against the wood of the racket. The knife is SHARP.

If you proceed carefully you can make your first cut look professional. But don't worry if it's perfect. It will be fine if it is not exactly how you wanted it. And while you are cutting it is hard to see what a good cutting job you are doing.

You could end up thinking you are messing up and then when it is done you end up seeing it is a pretty darn good job you did.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Reactions: Jirrex
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
I use a box cutter and the Irwin blades plus I keep the blade oiled, can use the same blade for a long time as long as I keep oil on it. People at the club I play at are always asking me how do I get my rubbers cut so clean looking, and it's the blade and oil and of course patients and been doing it for a long time. I carry scissors with a little bottle of oil in my bag for in case I have to do a job at the club, but I keep oil on the scissors blade just like I do with the box cutters blade.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I need to use a thinner xacto knife, the heavy duty ones give me less control and my rubber looks like no sense with those.

Have you ever tried the carving tip shown in my photo? The curve of the cutting edge combined with the angle of the point work really well.

I use a box cutter and the Irwin blades plus....

People seem to do well with box cutters too. I actually have never used one.

Can you show a photo of that particular box cutter and blade. Good for people to see it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I would say, if you have never cut rubbers before, getting a heavy duty X-Acto knife that has a handle like a screw driver and the carving tip would be safest. It does take more technique to cut with scissors.

With the X-Acto knife you need something solid under you as a cutting surface. I use a thick wood cutting board. But not one that you would use for foot because the glue and the rubber are not so good for your health.

You also should know that you should go slowly and cut one area at a time. And go over the area until you are sure you cut all the way through. I found it I used too much force to ensure I went all the way through I could cut the blade as well.

And that is the last detail. Don't press the knife blade too much against the wood of the racket. The knife is SHARP.

If you proceed carefully you can make your first cut look professional. But don't worry if it's perfect. It will be fine if it is not exactly how you wanted it. And while you are cutting it is hard to see what a good cutting job you are doing.

You could end up thinking you are messing up and then when it is done you end up seeing it is a pretty darn good job you did.

Thanks Carl, that really is a clear instuction. I happen to have a knife kit with multiple knife handles and quite a lot of different blades. In it are the heavy duty handle and the blade you're using, so that's what I gonna use when the time is there.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks Carl, that really is a clear instuction. I happen to have a knife kit with multiple knife handles and quite a lot of different blades. In it are the heavy duty handle and the blade you're using, so that's what I gonna use when the time is there.

The idea of using water or oil on the blade, if that helps it cut the rubber better, it sounds like it is a good idea to me. I have never tried it. But it seems like it might help.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I tend to use a scalpel. It offers a very clean cut. It's perfectly smooth too.
I just cut my rubbers about an hour ago with one..
LM

I know someone else who uses one. That works quite well too.